Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The draw is out and at least one is guaranteed a 2nd round with the winner of Klahn/Querrey.

They're in the Djokovic quarter, so if somehow the winner of that match goes on a run, it ends there.

Johnson, Harrison and Young are in the defending champion's quarter. Ryan Harrison may have qualified, but he's clearly not at Dimitrov's level right now. It didn't used to be that way. Steve Johnson takes on Bautista Agut, while Donald Young takes on the guy best known for retiring my all time favorite tennis player at 36 in 2006.

Speaking of 36 year olds, Michael Russell is in the Swiss Curtain. He could win a match, but he's not getting out of that. 100% sure of this. John Isner is in that same curtain but he clearly has a more significant chance to break through that as the best American.

Jack Sock is in the Nadal quarter, but he really got hosed with that draw as Raonic is R2 there. It's too bad cause I really wanted him to face Nadal in the 4R here,

·
Registered
33,355 Posts
Probably Isner. I would say The Don on any other surface if he could retrain his RG form but he sucks on Grass and will lose to grass courter becker

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Sock could make some noise.

How about Kudla?

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sock could make some noise.

How about Kudla?
1. I did like Sock to make noise, but R2 Raonic was the worst possible matchup for him outside the Big 5. I felt that way about him at the FO when he drew Almagro in Paris but Sock lucked out with his injury.

2. Sorry I missed Kudla, In Nadal's draw. Could win a round but won't get to or past Nadal's match in his best scenario

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
1. I did like Sock to make noise, but R2 Raonic was the worst possible matchup for him outside the Big 5. I felt that way about him at the FO when he drew Almagro in Paris but Sock lucked out with his injury.

2. Sorry I missed Kudla, In Nadal's draw. Could win a round but won't get to or past Nadal's match in his best scenario
I don't agree with this. Sock has beaten Raonic before and that was on Raonic's favourite surface. Grass favours Sock more who looked quite comfortable on the surface when I watched his Boodles matches. I think Sock can win this if they meet.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I don't agree with this. Sock has beaten Raonic before and that was on Raonic's favourite surface. Grass favours Sock more who looked quite comfortable on the surface when I watched his Boodles matches. I think Sock can win this if they meet.
Sock did beat Raonic (Memphis 2013), Isner to be last standing though as I have him beating Wawrinka

·
Registered
821 Posts

Sock has one more year left to improve his game. These guys should get good coaches, so they can actually compete at the highest level. I thought of Ryan Harrison, he always gets tough draws.

May be we need to wait at least 4 more years to see American domination again.

We are too much into NFLs, NBAs now.
The good thing is we still have presence at doubles and womens singles level.

I can't believe we did not produce great players after Agassi and Sampras.

Lets hope for the best.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sock has one more year left to improve his game. These guys should get good coaches, so they can actually compete at the highest level. I thought of Ryan Harrison, he always gets tough draws.

May be we need to wait at least 4 more years to see American domination again.

We are too much into NFLs, NBAs now.
The good thing is we still have presence at doubles and womens singles level.

I can't believe we did not produce great players after Agassi and Sampras.

Lets hope for the best.
Andy Roddick was that guy immediately after Agassi and Sampras. James Blake was a capable number 2 with flashes of more. They were the "TV Friendly" ones of that generation.

THIS generation now. Donald Young is the only American in the men's game that can be that guy. Isner, Sock, Querrey, Harrison just has something missing in the TV must see star department. The type where there's a kid in the US who's never seen the sport before tune in to an American player, and BAM that player captivated me.

Andre Agassi was that for me as a new American immgrant from the Philippines in 1992. Wimbledon on NBC with the hair and the rock star look and attitude that would win me over with his game too. If that happened to me now, Donald Young would bring out those feelings too.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Querrey !!!!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Andy Roddick was that guy immediately after Agassi and Sampras. James Blake was a capable number 2 with flashes of more. They were the "TV Friendly" ones of that generation.

THIS generation now. Donald Young is the only American in the men's game that can be that guy. Isner, Sock, Querrey, Harrison just has something missing in the TV must see star department. The type where there's a kid in the US who's never seen the sport before tune in to an American player, and BAM that player captivated me.

Andre Agassi was that for me as a new American immgrant from the Philippines in 1992. Wimbledon on NBC with the hair and the rock star look and attitude that would win me over with his game too. If that happened to me now, Donald Young would bring out those feelings too.
I agree with you on Agassi.

IMHO, I have to disagree with you on Donald Young, as he is already 24. We didnt see anything big from him so far.
I said Jack Sock coz, he is still 21 and if he can get a good coach (dont know who is the current one), by 22 if he can be at dmitrov level, then we can at least see some thing good.

If he can succeed at the highest level, he can also become a TV attraction. (All he has to do is show his abs on TV :))

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
They all sucks.

I hope they all go out in the first round, except Isner.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts