Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am still quite new to this forum, but being someone who enjoys watching new upcoming players, and travelling to a few Challengers and qualification rounds this year, I have a question:

Can you name someone who is unknown to the general tennis fan today, 9th January and who everyone knows in December 2020?

My own (very optimistic) guess is Holger Rune, Denmark.

·
justice for all
16,771 Posts
It depends what you by mean by "unknown". For me Sinner is already very well known.

As for other players - I have no idea. Maybe someone who closely follows challenger/ futures has good candidates. @enlightenedth, @HollowTip, @Budadiii ?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Jannik Sinner is a good choice if we think of players unknown to casual fans. For the more serious tennis viewers (like most MTF members, I would assume), Sinner is rather well-known already (edit: as I just noted that Guitarra pointed out), after his results in the latter half of 2019.

Holger Rune was an interesting name since I hadn't heard of him at all. Checking him out I found that he won the RG juniors 2019 and the ITF Junior Masters against opposition two years older than himself, ending the year as the number one junior, even though he is born 2003. He might indeed be destined for great things, but the end of 2020 still seems a bit early for him to be famous.

My own suggestion would be Lorenzo Musetti who is a 17-year-old player who has already beaten players like Gianluca Mager (ranked 119 at the time) and Taro Daniel (ranked 110). Together with Sinner, who is even more promising, things do look good for Italian tennis. I think Musetti might make it into the top 100 before the end of 2020, which would make him famous among MTF-members, although probably still unknown among the more casual fans.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Jannik Sinner is a good choice if we think of players unknown to casual fans. For the more serious tennis viewers (like most MTF members, I would assume), Sinner is rather well-known already (edit: as I just noted that Guitarra pointed out), after his results in the latter half of 2019.
True that. The Sinner is quite popular here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree that Sinner is already quite famous. But he is on my bucket list for new promising players to watch this year. I agree that Holger Rune is a very optimistic choice, but can't help to hope. Danes are not used to being gifted with great tennis players.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
It depends what you by mean by "unknown". For me Sinner is already very well known.

As for other players - I have no idea. Maybe someone who closely follows challenger/ futures has good candidates. @enlightenedth, @HollowTip, @Budadiii ?
There is a difference between this forum and people around the world who just watch tennis a few times a month, so I think Sinner has a chance to make his name known to the second group of people. The first one has known about him for a while now.

I will make two lists here, one will be with players who are still unknown to most people on MTF but will become known by the end of the year and the second list would be with players who will become famous to the general audience.

Players who will become known to the majority of MTFers (without underestimating people here and I'm sure some of you have already watched and followed some of these players):

Thomas Machac, Michael Geerts, Sebastian Baez, Kacper Zuk, Alcaraz Garfia, Roy Smith, John McNally, Adrian Andreev, Lukas Klein, Yshai Oliel

Players who will become known to the general tennis fans:

Brandon Nakashima - has a chance to blow up on hard courts, beat some big time players and make a name for himself this year

Gian Marco Moroni - has a good run on clay in him if he gets a good draw and keeps improving (he could do something similar to what Djere did in Rio imo)

Emil Ruusuvuori - definitely on the brink of being another Jannik Sinner.

Cedrik-Marcel Stebe - yea, I know he is 29 years-old. Yeah, I know he played a final in Croatia. But I still think an injury-free year could do wonders for him on tour. He could become way more known to the general audience just by beating most players outside of top 20 and being seen playing vs the best on a regular basis.

These are a few off the top of my head. I'll probably come up with more later. Good thread.

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
To be honest even someone like FAA is fairly unknown to the average man in the street. But then it depends on your definition of fame. In the 80s, literally every housewife with no interest in tennis whatever, had heard of McEnroe and Borg. I don't believe even the Big 3 have that level of fame, and my theory is a lot of very casual watchers were turned off by the Wimbledon servebots of the 90s, which was the only tournament that registered with them. I would include my own father as an example of that.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
To be honest even someone like FAA is fairly unknown to the average man in the street.
I asked 10 of my friends do they know who Berrettini is and they all had no clue. I intentionally chose the name other than Fedalovic, but still wanted the name from the top of the tennis world. I am sure 8/10 wouldn't know who Medvedev or Tsitsipas are.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Roger Federer might have a breakthrough

·
Registered
63 Posts
From one Dane to another, I hope for Holger Rune too but I think it is a bit early. He has had no succes in the few pro tournaments he has played so far. Give him 3-4 years and he will hopefully be on the main tour.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Sinner please- he should be an international household name. He's already well known in places but not so much yet where I live. Hopefully 2020 will change that because he deserves it. ?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts