Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for the statistic gurus.

I just read that if Blake wins Delray Beach tomorrow, he would have won the title without beating a single top 100 player. Considering that in virtually all ATP events, the field consists of mainly top 100 players and many have a cutoff above that, when was the last time this was achieved and how many times has it happened in the open era?

Now this is not a knock on Blake since I'm sure he doesn't need a draw that weak (statistically) to win a title but it surely hasn't happened often.

R1: def. Kendrick (7-5 7-5) ATP: 113
R2: def. Capdeville (6-1 6-4) ATP; 105
QF: def. Kunitsyn (6-2 6-4) ATP: 117
SF: def. Ginepri (6-4 6-4) ATP: 169
F: vs. Nishikori ATP: 244

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
I don't know for the top 100, but I know both Santoro and Simon won an ATP title last year without beating a single player in the top 75, which I found pretty shocking too...

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
This is interesting. It tells a lot about the quality of the players at Delray Beach. It's not a very high quality tournament!

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
This must have happened in Newport a few times.

Funny that Blake's opponents keep getting easier as the tournament progresses, at least according to the rankings. It's like he's taking a trip down ATP levels.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just had a look at all the Newport winners dating back to 1985 and there have been many occasions where a player has only had to beat one top 100 player but no one has managed to avoid a top 100 player the entire tournament. There were two that were very close to achieving this feat - Ginepri defeated Melzer (ranked 96) in 2003 and Wheaton defeated Shelton (ranked 98) in 1994. The rankings of players were not listed on the ATP site from 1984 and before, although considering that players back then played a heavier schedule, you would think it wouldn't have happened then.

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
I think this could have been predicted when a thread entitled '7 out of 8 players in the quarters are American' [or sth. close..] was posted...

A crap tournament; although it has been saved to some extent by the continued emergence of Nishikori.

·
Registered
97,310 Posts
I think this could have been predicted when a thread entitled '7 out of 8 players in the quarters are American' [or sth. close..] was posted...

A crap tournament; although it has been saved to some extent by the continued emergence of Nishikori.
How did Starakiewicz make your signature? :tape:

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Al Costa achieved the feat at the now defunct ATP event at Bournemouth in 1996.
His road to the title was as follows:
R32 def Michael Geserer ranked no. 236
R16 def David Skoch ranked at no. 171
QF def Danny Sapsford ranked at no. 181
SF def Magnus Norman ranked at no. 120
F def Marc-Kevin Goellner ranked at no. 103

·
Ace Loveforty
83,400 Posts
there are hundreds of players who dream of having one of those useless titles

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Thanks for the stats LeChuck. I haven't heard of the Bournemouth tournament at all. It's interesting that there used to be a claycourt tournament played in Great Britain.
No worries :).
Yes a claycourt event in GB was weird. It was held on green clay. I'm nore sure but I think it held an April slot in the calendar in the 1980s before it was dropped. It was revived from 1996-1999 but this time it took place immediately after the US Open. Quality claycourters like Costa and Mantilla liked playing at the event, and I think that Moya appeared there a couple of times as well, but the event was struggling and it was no surprise that it was ditched again.

Another example I can think of where a player won a title without beating a top 100 player along the way, was Malivai Washington on the green clay at Bermuda in 1996 (I think since then the event has had its status relegated from ATP level to challenger level). This took place 5 months prior to Costa's aforementioned Bournemouth title, but anyway here goes:
R32 def Luke Jensen ranked at no. 312
R16 def Franco Squillari ranked at no. 320
QF def Bill Behrens ranked at no. 707
SF def Mariano Zabaleta ranked at no. 386
F def Marcelo Filippini ranked at no. 105

1 - 20 of 39 Posts