Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that there are quite a few Indian posters here, I want to ask who do you think was the best tennis player India has ever produced? Others are free to answer and give their opinions as well. Tennis has been a part of Indian sporting history since the 60s. Chennai has been the birthplace of Indian tennis .

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To me, that’s easy. The star of Octopussy.
Vijay Amritraj? But he played in a different era. An era of lesser competition, smaller draws, and tennis was more about touch and finesse than all round abilities.

I would say Leander Paes was the best modern Indian tennis player.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Do not forget Somdev Devvarman. Of course he comes in after Leander Paes, but he should be mentioned. Crazily reached R16 of Indian Wells in 2011 beating Mannarino, Baghdatis and Malisse. Furthermore he has a supporting role in the infamous "how many times" incident :D

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
"Vijay Amritraj? But he played in a different era. An era of lesser competition "

? 🤨

1 Vijay Amritraj
2 Ramesh Krishnan, no doubt

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Vijay Amritraj? But he played in a different era. An era of lesser competition "

? 🤨

1 Vijay Amritraj
2 Ramesh Krishnan, no doubt
Wasn't he pre-open era initially. Pro slams had lesser competition, easier draws. Plus the entire game of tennis was different then. It wasn't as physical as it is now. Which is why Indians haven't been able to be successful in singles in the last 30 years.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
And Amritraj is one of 3 winners McEnroe 1984 .. 82W-3L 🙄

Lendl RG final
Amritraj 1st R Cinci
Sundstroem Davis Cup final

·
Moderator | PreviewBot
13,035 Posts
Bhambri prolly

·
Moderator | PreviewBot
13,035 Posts
please nobody laugh at the above

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
"Wasn't he pre-open era initially. Pro slams had lesser competition, easier draws. "

I don't care about these stories of competition and media premium for the present.

Amritraj and Krishnan is end 70's and 80's, no pre open era.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Amritraj and Paes were both excellent, I'd give it to Paes given his great success in the doubles format.

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
How about Nagal.

Reactions: guitarra

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
why is it that india has failed to produce a decent singles player in all these years?
Why? Since you are an Indian, why do you think is(are) the reason(s)?

Reactions: Shinoj
1 - 20 of 27 Posts