Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I don't :(

He's one of the greatest south american players that have ever played in the ATP circuit. :worship:

Tennis Profile.

Marcelo Rios: He became the first Latin American player to reach the number one rank on the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) singles rankings in 1998, holding the ranking for 6 weeks. He also held the number one ranking in juniors and seniors. He is the only player in the Open Era to hold the world number one ranking despite never winning a Major.

In 1993 Ríos became the first male player from Latin America to be ranked world number one in juniors.

He won his first Challenger Series tournament at Dresden later that year. In 1995, he won his first top-level tour title at Bologna. He became the first Chilean to be ranked in the world's top 10 in 1996.

In January 1998, Ríos reached his first, and only Grand Slam final at the Australian Open. Having been in strong form leading up to the final, he entered as a slight favourite against Korda, but he lost in straight sets. In March 1998, Ríos became the first Latin American male to reach the World No. 1 singles ranking after defeating Andre Agassi in the final of the Lipton Championship (Miami)

Singles Titles (18):

1995 Bologna Clay
1995 Amsterdam Clay
1995 Kuala Lumpur Carpet
1996 Sankt Pölten Clay
1997 Monte Carlo Clay
1998 Auckland Hard
1998 Indian Wells Hard
1998 Miami Hard
1998 Rome Clay
1998 Sankt Pölten Clay
1998 Grand Slam Cup Hard (i)
1998 Singapore Carpet (i)
1999 Hamburg Clay
1999 Sankt Pölten Clay
1999 Singapore Hard (i)
2000 Umag Clay
2001 Doha Hard
2001 Hong Kong Hard

He has some other episodes, but that just adds some flavor to it. But does that have anything to do with his tennis highlights?: :shrug:

He was fined US$10,000 for speeding during the 1998 Stuttgart tournament.

At the 2000 Summer Olympics, he had been selected as Chile's standard-bearer for the opening ceremony, but refused to parade at the last minute, arguing that the Chilean Olympic Committee (Coch) had left his parents without promised tickets for the ceremony. Nicolás Massú took his place.

In a confusing incident, he ran over his physical trainer, Manuel Astorga, with his jeep, leaving him gravely injured at the foot. Astorga was later fired as trainer.

After a magazine published some photos of him dancing seductively with a woman at a Paris disco, his girlfriend Giuliana Sotela broke up with him. Later, during a Davis Cup press conference, he read a letter, asking Sotela for forgiveness. He ended the press conference in tears.

He was accused by his second wife, María Eugenia Larraín, of throwing her off of his car while visiting his daughter in Costa Rica. Larraín arrived to Santiago's airport in dramatic fashion, on a wheelchair and showing multiple bruises on her legs (he said those bruises were caused by falling while skiing).

He was arrested in Rome in 2001 after he punched a taxi driver in the nose and then had a fight with the policemen arresting him.

In 2003, he urinated on a man in a La Serena bar's bathroom. He was later expelled from his hotel after being accused of swimming in the nude.

In 2003 he and a friend were expelled from a Santiago bar after insulting other clients and being involved in a brawl with some waiters. Both were arrested and later released.

His second wife, Eugenia Larraín, has said that he has undergone treatment for alcoholism.

He reportedly told Monica Seles to move her "fat ass" while on a lunch queue, but he has denied this.

During the Wimbledon tournament he commented that grass was for "cows and soccer" and not suitable for tennis play.

He was disqualified from the 2000 Mercedes-Benz Cup tennis tournament in Los Angeles, California during a first round match with Gouichi Motomura of Japan and fined US$5,000 for saying "fuck you" to the chair umpire.

He insulted a journalist under his breath during a post-match interview after she asked him whether he had Native American ancestry.

·
Retired Party Hostess
14,976 Posts
He is on the receiving end of a lot of criticism for sure. Personally, I don't agree- met him on three separate occassions, and on all three he was very kind, respectful, and soft spoken.

I cannot speak for anyone else, obviously, but I really liked him. Both on court, and off. :)

·
Registered
97,305 Posts
My favourite: In 2003, he urinated on a man in a La Serena bar's bathroom. He was later expelled from his hotel after being accused of swimming in the nude.

:lol:

Putting everything together, Marcelo is a legend. :worship:

·
Registered
18,178 Posts
Rios is one of the most tremendous shotmakers I've ever seen.
:worship:

One of the true talents on the court.

His slice volleys, lobs, passing shots sometimes are breath-taking.

Also, let's don't forget that sit smash he made against Agassi in Munich :worship:

And that back return against Aberto Martin, only he has the balls and the talent to make those kind of amazing shots.

Respect for Rios :worship:

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Overrate this:

El Chino :worship:

:retard: at who think he is overrated

·
Registered
17,115 Posts
An absolutely brilliant player to watch.

But I do think he is overrated by many in the sense that his actual accomplishments (particularly his slam results) are quite poor compared to other No. 1 players in history, and even compared to some of the career-high No. 2s.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,503 Posts
The man was a prick, but a very talented prick and fun to watch when he felt like playing.

Facts are his GS record counts against him.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
If he didn't won Australia '98 it was thanks to Korda's doping :rolleyes:, anyway he played crappy tennis that match. I believe he could have won RG, but he faced Hrbaty (I think) and had a stupid loss. :eek:

Anyway I think he was veeeeeeeery talented, maybe one of the most talented of the history (and I'm not saying this because he is chilean, I would think that even if he wasn't chilean :p).

Chino :worship:

·
Registered
23,711 Posts
genius :worship:

no more words

·
Registered
18,178 Posts
Without GS, the guy left a mark in the Open Era. :worship:

He even won the Grand Slam Cup, without even winning a GS, just because he reached QF in 3/4 events in a year. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
23,711 Posts
If he didn't won Australia '98 it was thanks to Korda's doping :rolleyes:, anyway he played crappy tennis that match. I believe he could have won RG, but he faced Hrbaty (I think) and had a stupid loss. :eek:
i think THE year for winning RG was 98, when lost to Moya, but Charly played the match of his life and Marcelo was a little tired after a long battle vs Albert Costa

in 99 he wasnt the big favorite and he started to have problems with injuries in the long matches :sad:, also Hrbaty was on fire too

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
The man was a prick, but a very talented prick and fun to watch when he felt like playing.

Facts are his GS record counts against him.
Ditto, however those that knew him personally attributed this to him being a very shy and reserved person. Well he was very private about his personal life, I guess he was not a big fan of living in the limelight but that comes along with being a famous athlete. So that certainly was something he should have had a better handle of.

Plus if he didn't want to be invaded by fans and media and cameras why play an international sport? So here again he should have known better.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
What about Miroslav Mecir? Or David Nalbandian? Rios couldn't pass Wimbledon's 4th round
"El pasto es para las vacas"

:worship:

·
Registered
23,711 Posts
What about Miroslav Mecir? Or David Nalbandian? Rios couldn't pass Wimbledon's 4th round
Rios >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nalbandian :p

·
Miss Fabray
55,507 Posts
Genius :worship: :worship: :worship:

Reactions: Verd
1 - 20 of 76 Posts