Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
30,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All players now have to attend the ATP University. Guess where that is: Disney World :haha:

http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/2007news/atp_uni.asp

ATP University Offers Instruction, Fun, Camaraderie© ATP

Many of tennis' brightest young stars are going back to school this week at the ATP University, being held this year at the Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida. Gael Monfils, Benjamin Becker, Evgeny Korolev, Sam Querrey and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga are among 35 players attending.

Administered by the ATP's Player Relations department, the ATP University features classroom presentations made by ATP staff members and outside experts specializing in the fields of communications, finance, and medicine. The three-day workshop being held November 27-30, 2007 includes presentations, which are translated into Spanish and English, on the following areas:

- History and the creation of the ATP
- Organizational structure and goals of the ATP
- Rules and officiating
- Tennis anti-doping program
- Anti-corruption
- Player Relations & Medical Services programs
- Personal finance
- Communication and media skills training

And yes, there is still time after class for players to get their thrills at the Magic Kingdom.

A fundamental concept of the ATP is that the players have an integral role in the direction, image and destiny of the men's game. In 1990 the ATP Player Council recognized that for the long-term growth of the game, it was essential to educate young players as they came onto the circuit. The ATP University is designed to make players more responsible tennis professionals.

Recognizing the long-term benefit to the players, the ATP and to the game, the ATP is firmly committed to the University program. All Division 1 ATP player members must pass through the University.

I guess that Disney photoshoot Federer did was for the University's admissions pamphlet...

·
Comparisons are Odious
10,541 Posts
:haha: :haha: :haha:

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
:secret: they've been doing this for years, but the connection to Disney World this year is priceless ;) :lol:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
who are the 35?

·
Registered
12,983 Posts
Who on earth considers Benjamin Becker one of the tennis' brightest young stars? :rolleyes:

As for the rest of it, just :tape:

·
Registered
30,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
According to school gossip Davydenko was not allowed to teach 'Anti-Corruption 101' this year due to the recent match fixing allegations, though he claims his absence has to do with his Davis Cup responsibilities. :p

:secret: they've been doing this for years, but the connection to Disney World this year is priceless ;) :lol:

I didn't know that, but reading the article a 2nd time it's obvious this is not the first year. It's funny that they call a 3 day seminar 'University' :lol:.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
ATP University

Source http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/2007news/atp_uni2.asp

ATP UNIVERSITY

November 30, 2007
Players Graduate from ATP University
© ATP
Many of tennis' brightest young stars, including Gael Monfils, Benjamin Becker and Sam Querrey, can now call themselves graduates of ATP University following the conclusion of the three-day session held at the Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida. A total of 36 players attended ATP University, held from November 27-30.

Administered by the ATP's Player Relations department, the ATP University featured classroom presentations made by ATP staff members and outside experts specializing in the fields of communications, finance, and medicine. The workshop covered topics including the history of the ATP, how to control personal finances, and the importance of the media and promoting the sport.

The players, who also had the opportunity to explore the Magic Kingdom after class, had high praise for ATP University.

Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga lauded it as "a great opportunity to learn a lot of things," and Croat Marin Cilic agreed, saying: "The ATP is introducing new stuff to us, including media, rules and regulations, anti-corruption...We had a lot of questions and the ATP explained to us how it's going and now we're better informed about that. I also had doubts about some things and now most of them are quite clear."

While many players pinpointed media training as their favorite session, Dutchman Robin Haase said: "The financial session for me was really important because I live in a country where I pay a lot of taxes, so that was really interesting and a lot of help. It's good to be here. It's educational and it's fun also with all the other tennis players here to have the feeling that we're doing it together."

"It's been great," said American Sam Querrey. "Really fun, really educational, it's nice to see these guy, the hotel's nice, the weather's nice. No complaints."

2007 ATP University Graduate List
Pablo Andujar (ESP)
James Auckland (GBR)
Benjamin Becker (GER)
Carlos Berlocq (ARG)
Alex Bogdanovic (GBR)
Ilia Bozoljac (SRB)
Eric Butorac (USA)
Paul Capdeville (CHI)
Marin Cilic (CRO)
Tobias Clemens (GER)
Brian Dabul (ARG)
Benedikt Dorsch (GER)
Daniel Gimeno-Traver (ESP)
Marcel Granollers-Pujol (ESP)
Ernests Gulbis (LAT)
Robin Haase (NED)
Ross Hutchins (GBR)
Evgeny Korolev (RUS) Alex Kuznetsov (USA)
Jesse Levine (USA)
Scott Lipsky (USA)
David Martin (USA)
Michael McClune (USA)
Marcelo Melo (BRA)
Gael Monfils (FRA)
Mathieu Montcourt (FRA)
Jamie Murray (GBR)
Kei Nishikori (JPN)
Wayne Odesnik (USA)
Sam Querrey (USA)
Gilles Simon (FRA)
Sergiy Stakhovsky (UKR)
Marcio Torres (BRA)
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA)
Sam Warburg (USA)
Jesse Witten (USA)

A fundamental concept of the ATP is that the players have an integral role in the direction, image and destiny of the men's game. In 1990 the ATP Player Council recognized that for the long-term growth of the game, it was essential to educate young players as they came onto the circuit. The ATP University is designed to make players more responsible tennis professionals.

Recognizing the long-term benefit to the players, the ATP and to the game, the ATP is firmly committed to the University program. All Division 1 ATP player members must pass through the University.
Do players get a Mickey Mouse diploma :confused: Has anyone ever failed to get the degree :confused:

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts
Re: ATP University

There is a thread about this somewhere, but graduating in maths would be

15-0 30-0 40-0 what comes next if the person with 40 wins the next point.

Reactions: Sean.J.S.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
Re: ATP University

Do players get a Mickey Mouse diploma :confused:
Yes, and at graduation they wear fluffy Mickey ears instead of mortarboards ;)

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
A 3 day course + Tea Cup ride

Now that's what I call University!

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
While many players pinpointed media training as their favorite session, Dutchman Robin Haase said: "The financial session for me was really important because I live in a country where I pay a lot of taxes, so that was really interesting and a lot of help. It's good to be here. It's educational and it's fun also with all the other tennis players here to have the feeling that we're doing it together."
Oh, oh, the Dutchie... :armed: :lol:

·
Registered
591 Posts
I was thinking to apply for an MBA at MIT, Harvard or Wharton, but thanks to this article i have seen the light, although it is going to be very tough to be chosen :scared:

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I was thinking to apply for an MBA at MIT, Harvard or Wharton, but thanks to this article i have seen the light, although it is going to be very tough to be chosen :scared:
All Division 1 ATP player members must pass through the University.
All Division 1 players are admitted. Can you hit a ball over the net and inside the lines :wavey:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
good to see that they now combine the boring stuff with an excursion to disney... much as i detest the connection with the big boss, it probably provides a greater incentive for attending :tape:

the maths question is :haha:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts