Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between Rafa and Djokovic.
Many people seem to think that Djokovic is the offensive player and that Rafa is the one who does all the running, but the statistics (at least some of them) seem to suggest otherwise.

This is from the Wimbledon final, somewhere in the middle of the match. I don't have one for the entire match.

And this one from the AO is more impressive, because Rafa actually spent more time on court during the entire tournament (not taking the final into account)

I've looked at the duration of their matches and it's

Nadal - 993 minutes - 13.83 miles
Djokovic - 898 minutes - 15.79 miles

Does anyone have statistics from other tournaments/matches?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Well maybe that's why Djokovic is winning more, he's better at defense than Nadal and he is outlasting him on the baseline. With these slow courts, the more defensive player wins.

To be fair, the AO stat is skewed. Nadal played Berdych and Federer who are offensive players whereas Djokovic played Murray, Ferrer and Hewitt.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well maybe that's why Djokovic is winning more, he's better at defense than Nadal and he is outlasting him on the baseline. With these slow courts, the more defensive player wins.

To be fair, the AO stat is skewed. Nadal played Berdych and Federer who are offensive players whereas Djokovic played Murray, Ferrer and Hewitt.
Just like Roger's slam count is skewed because he won them in a weak era where there was no one to challenge him except a very young Nadal on clay.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He does outlast him from the baseline.

My point is that those who like to portray Rafa as a physical freak, who runs more than everyone else and who never gets tired are wrong. There are players who run just as much or even more than him and he does get tired (quite often lately) even though his body language might not show it.

From Federer's pc after the French Open final:
I almost saved myself, but I'm very competitive, and I thought he was getting tired, you know, throughout the third set and also in the fourth. It was unfortunate I couldn't take my chances early on in the fourth.

http://www.ubitennis.com/sport/tennis/2011/06/05/518950-roger_federer_2011.shtml
Rafa's pc after the US Open final:
Q. At any time was fatigue a factor in the match today?
RAFAEL NADAL: At the fourth. But, it was a tough match. Physical, mental, everything was, yeah, I think it was a quality match. Congratulations for him. He did great.

http://2011.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2011-09-12/201109131315878149368.html
In Miami
Q. Which was the harder match, last week or this?
RAFAEL NADAL: Physically this, for sure. I was very tired at the end.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=70437

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
It doesn't really matter who runs more. The reason that Djokovic is the best player in the world is that he has a very good balance when it comes to defense/offense. Nadal is more defensive. Nadal simply tries to tire his opponents to win a point. It just the way he is. It still works... but not against Djokovic.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
It would be interesting to see these stats on a Rafole match before the special diet.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Just like Roger's slam count is skewed because he won them in a weak era where there was no one to challenge him except a very young Nadal on clay.
I find this interesting. What does Federer slam count relate to "Who runs more?" I can smell jelly organisms all over the place.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
What does this have to do with the current topic?

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Add an 'i' between the u and the n in "runs", and add 'the game' between "runs" and "more", and you have a more relevant thread title.

Reactions: OSmeone and Looner

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
^^ :lol:

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
You can't just look at one or 2 events, you have to look at a lot of matches to come to a meaningful conclusion. If you look at matches throughout their career I think you will find that Nadal runs more and hits less winners. Who in their right mind would say Nadal is an attacking player :confused:. The Djoker is not as attacking as he used to be but he is more attacking than Nadal. Even Murray is more attacking than Nadal.
Nadal does have a good offensive shot but he does not take the initiative most of the time.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You can't just look at one or 2 events, you have to look at a lot of matches to come to a meaningful conclusion. If you look at matches throughout their career I think you will find that Nadal runs more and hits less winners. Who in their right mind would say Nadal is an attacking player :confused:. The Djoker is not as attacking as he used to be but he is more attacking than Nadal. Even Murray is more attacking than Nadal.
Nadal does have a good offensive shot but he does not take the initiative most of the time.
I was talking about the last year or so, since Djokovic started to dominate.
I agree that many times Rafa is very defensive but that's usually when he lacks confidence. Many times he ends up losing because of this. Still, at the AO he spent almost 100 minutes more on court compared to Djokovic and he ran less.
Maybe he ran more than him at the US Open but in the fourth set of the final he was already too tired.
If you have other statistics, please post them.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
I was talking about the last year or so, since Djokovic started to dominate.
I agree that many times Rafa is very defensive but that's usually when he lacks confidence. Many times he ends up losing because of this. Still, at the AO he spent almost 100 minutes more on court compared to Djokovic and he ran less.
Maybe he ran more than him at the US Open but in the fourth set of the final he was already too tired.
If you have other statistics, please post them.

As people have stated, the Djoker played a lot of retrievers prior to the final hence the points were longer thus he had to run more.

·
Registered
23,908 Posts
Very interesting topic, both player are fantastic runners, as a super fan of rafa and a fan of nole, i think offensively nole is better but defensively i think rafa is better. In the end, these two players are in the top 3 for a reason, they both can challenge Federer very well when defending on each point. So anyways again, great topic.:yeah:

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
The points were long because that's also the way he likes to play.

The court was slow thus hitting winners against good defenders is not all that easy. If he had faced players like Tonga and Berdych then the points would have been shorter thus he would have run less. Tsonga and Berdych do not defend as well as Ferrer, Hewitt and Murray.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts