Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who will be the most successful in tennis?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
the weak, the lost generation (*1989-1993). they have done nothing so far. :devil:

well, Ninjakori, one of the oldest, has reached a GS final after all (where he was dismantled).
Raobotnic has botted his way to the top8 and a Wimby SF.
Divatrov has a Wimby SF to his name too and - he's still a bit younger - seems to crack the top8 soon.
that doesnt look so well, but the rest seems even less promising.
our latest overhype, Thiem just lost to fellow Austrian G.Melzer of all people. :scared:
even peer Vesely was more successful so far.
getting oversized Janowicz in operating temperature doesnt seem to be possible very often either in the future.
it remains to be seen if Tomic after his hip surgery is even (or still) capable of reaching what he never did for different reasons in the past.
Goffin and Sock deserve mentioning under such circumstances.

Klizan is one of the oldest of the pack and while he can still improve for sure his limitations are pretty obvious.
the same seems to be true for Delbonis, Schwartzman, Carreno, and Kuznetsov.
Paire and Pospisil dont impose themselves either for similar reasons.

with The Don a lock for the poll,
the only question for me was whome to choose for the last poll option? :scratch:
the best feeling i still have with Wildcardison. i think he was only spoiled by all the wildcards he received.

but the thread isnt only about the poll anyway. theres a lot of room for discussion.
what "success" means shall remain mostly unspecified. its about tennis achievements though. ;)

background:
a "generation" is determined by the potential physical prime of tennis players, and thats empirically proven 5 years and from age 22 to 26.
there is also "mile age" that factors in, f.i. when Nadal added his very strong 2013 season before declining inevitably.

setting a time where one generation ends and the next starts is less factual,
so i looked at the Alltime Greats of the Open Era:
Federer/1981, Sampras/1971, Nadal/1986, Borg/1956, Edberg/1966
so the pattern 1 - 6 is there with the top 4 + Edberg.
also Lendl/1960, Agassi/1970, Connors/1952, Djokovic/1987, Becker/1967
fit this generations pattern quite well (are just one year ahead or back respectively).
McEnroe/1959 is the only one in the top 11 that doesnt fit in ...and there is Wilander/1964 on place 12.
some may say thats still just statistical noise or so. but for others Federer and Nadal alone would suffice for the definition.

will Dimitrov/1991 fit in perfectly again, or who will be the best of "his" generation?

(the selection of earlier threads of similar kind (from what i saw) suffered from the lack of information (as they were pretty early/premature),
but with Dimitrov hitting his potential physical peak right now - while the whole generation still Slam-less
one cant wait longer with that poll, i thought.)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Obviously Gulbis. I know you would say he is older, but he is lying about his age. That's why he hasn't peaked already.

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
Schwartzman

·
Delicious
3,558 Posts
Sharapova.

·
Banned
6,801 Posts
Difficult to say. Currently there are no young player on a level close to young BIG-4. A mystery to me why. After BIG-4 retirement collapse will come in tour. It may even be worse than a weak era of Roddicks, Hewitts, Nalbandians, Safins and so on.

·
The special one
14,696 Posts
If Nishikori can stay healthy he will be the most successful, It's just a pity he wasn't a couple of inches taller then he would be a real threat to big 4.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
But who has the freshest game Feather?

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
I get your definition of generation but Dimitrov has not done enough to have his own generation. It's like me asking who is Ryan Harrison's generation will be successful. Well, a drunk bartender will be more successful than American tennis players right now.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Someone has to own the generation. Why not Divatrov? Doesn't he encompass the true spirit of the generation?

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Dimitrov generation :lol:?

Anyway talent-wise Nishikori is miles ahead of anyone here, so I'll say him.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
This

I have never really understood why people keep calling it the dimitrov generation when you have 2 players from the same generation that are more successful and are always ranked higher.
They are not exactly the same generation though.

If we take a year, year and a half and three years off Nishikori respectively, he had hardly anything above Raonic, Dimitrov, Tomic, results wise when they were his age.

With the results from the last 12 months neglected, Nishikori's best results are 1 Slam QF and 2 masters SF i.e. both Raonic and Dimitrov are more successful and Tomic has 1 slam QF too.

At the moment Nishikori is better HC/clay player than the others, even though he has just six masters QF-or-better results (1F+3SF+2QF) to Raonic' twelve (2F+3SF+7QF), but let's see what tommorow brings.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
I don't know that the prematurely most-hyped player should define the generation, but if he does, can we call the Murray/Nadal/Djokovic generation the Gasquet generation? Can we make that a thing? :yeah:

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
They are not exactly the same generation though.

If we take a year, year and a half and three years off Nishikori respectively, he had hardly anything above Raonic, Dimitrov, Tomic, results wise when they were his age.
The "age-wise" arguments in this case are nearly meaningless considering that Nishikori missed an entire season in 2009-10 due to the elbow surgery. He had to restart with pretty much zero points when he came back to the court in 2010. He had a lost year just when he was trying to capitalize on the good 2008 that he had at the age of 18 (USO R4 by beating Ferrer; his first ATP title at Delray Beach as a qualifier). Neither Raonic nor Dimitrov had such a severe setback in their careers. So, the point is that in terms of tour experience, there isn't much difference between them.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
This whole generation will win 0 slams total.

·
Premium Member
14,827 Posts
Nishikori and Raonic.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I think Raonic might be the safest bet, at the very least he'll continue to be industrious. If everything falls into place for him he might become a beast on at least one surface. Nishi, Dimitrov and Tomic have also shown signs of being multiple grand slam winners and potential no.1 players, so we are still in the beginning stage of this debate.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts