Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who need the US open the most at this moment?

• Federer (old age and chasing his 18th major)

Votes: 53 37.9%
  • Djokovic (sloppy performance)

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • Murray (always choking and need a boost)

Votes: 37 26.4%
  • Wawrinka (Will he only be a one-major champoion ?)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Ferrer (an old professional fighter, deserved to have one major title)

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Tsonga

Votes: 14 10.0%
  • Berdych

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Raonic (accused of only having big serve)

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Dimitrov (Is it his time now?)

Votes: 9 6.4%
  • Gulbis (Eh....hard to say any about him)

Votes: 4 2.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
US open, the last grand slam in the year, will begin next week. No one will underestimate the importance of this major. It has successfully captured the attention from the tennis world.

Djokovic wants to win his second grand slam in this year and proves that he has dominating power. Federer strives to show the critics age is not a problem. He can still be a major title winner even at the age of 33. Murray also needs a title to announce his full recovery from injury. Wawrinka may also want to use a US open title to have a strong finish in the year. Young guns like Dimitrov also need a chance to prove he can achieve something great.

Who need the title most at this moment?

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Federer needs it the most, obviously.

He needs this one, make another season in order to try his chances at Wimby and then just relax, retire, take care of the family and then after a couple years become the boss of ATP.

Murray has been shouting out loud that he's written the season off and not expecting anything. And if this is not a cunning move to get as low as possible under the radars and make a move, which this isn't, he has stated clearly he doesn't need this one much. He'll need one Slam next year, that will be crucial for him imo.

Djokovic needs it most after Fed, coz he has dreams of catching up Nadal's count, which would be hard, but not impossible.

Dimitrov will need it most in 2016 if he doesn't have one till then, so he doesn't really need it as bad, but i do, so c'mon Grigor! :)

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
No one needs it but everyone wants it. Who wants it the most - impossible to say.

If you define "needing" as "improving the player's status in tennis and his general life the most" then my answer is any player outside the top 50.
based on your personal definition, the answer would rather be - anyone outside the ones who already won one.

Fed, Djok and Tbird+JoTso need it most at this point though. They have real chances of getting it and by the easily assumable definition the OP means, i think these are the guys.

Wawrinka got one, which is borderline more than he's ever expected, so he cool now, while Tbird and Tsonga, both GS finalists b4, they have their time ticking away and this one would be a great opportunity with all big 4 either missing or beatable.

I'm pretty sure Tsonga will give his very all, almost like it would be his last chance ever. I'll actually follow his odds at the bookies..

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
I know it's crazy, but I feel it's Dimitrov's time. Seriously. Federer is getting old and cannot win 7 BO5 matches in a row, Djokovic is shaky, Nadal withdrew and Murray cannot find a decent form. Dimitrov has had great results in slams this year.
All the elements are perfectly aligned for him to succeed; and it if is at the expense of the elite players (read: Big 3 and Murray) and their current state, then just take the opportunity!
And he certainly needs to win a Grand Slam to justify the hype surrounding him.

Also, 2nd and impossible/comedic option: RBA, to just shut all the haters. That would be quite something! :lol:
Or at least have a deep run?

·
Come on, Ernest!
17,055 Posts
based on your personal definition, the answer would rather be - anyone outside the ones who already won one.

Fed, Djok and Tbird+JoTso need it most at this point though. They have real chances of getting it and by the easily assumable definition the OP means, i think these are the guys.

Wawrinka got one, which is borderline more than he's ever expected, so he cool now, while Tbird and Tsonga, both GS finalists b4, they have their time ticking away and this one would be a great opportunity with all big 4 either missing or beatable.

I'm pretty sure Tsonga will give his very all, almost like it would be his last chance ever. I'll actually follow his odds at the bookies..
I like how you call it my personal definition :) But really, I'm just answering the question in the thread title. And you're right, anyone who hasn't won a GS yet needs it more than anyone who already has done it at least once. Suppose I ask you or others on MTF: Who needs a GS more - Federer or Kamke? Or Federer or Nieminen? Or Federer or Kyrgios? It's ridiculous if you pick Federer in any of these choices because he already has many grand slams. Clearly the other players need it more, it would mean more to them. Now, I agree that it isn't realistic for them to win it this year but they still need it more than Federer and also more than Tsonga.

·
Registered
33,355 Posts
LOL @ those saying Fed NEEDS another slam. Fed has 17, he doesn't need any more. Of course he wants more, but NEED? LOL please.

I know it's crazy, but I feel it's Dimitrov's time. Seriously. Federer is getting old and cannot win 7 BO5 matches in a row, Djokovic is shaky, Nadal withdrew and Murray cannot find a decent form. Dimitrov has had great results in slams this year.
All the elements are perfectly aligned for him to succeed; and it if is at the expense of the elite players (read: Big 3 and Murray) and their current state, then just take the opportunity!
And he certainly needs to win a Grand Slam to justify the hype surrounding him.
Dimitrov has never gotten past the 1st round of the USO. He could go far this year, sure, but who knows. When was the last time a player went from making the first round of a slam one year, to winning it the very next?

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
He won it 5 times, how could he possibly need it more than those who won it once or never? :) Those who need it most (from the list) would be Ferrer, Tsonga and Berdych, they have zero and their time is running out.
time running out is correct and it applies most to Fed, who would close the door on Rafa with another one.

It's all speculative ofc, but Fer, Tsonga and Tbird would have 3-4 more years after Fed, so yes, time is ticking away as C-Block would say :)

And they've all been in the later stages of Slams and Masters, while Groove for example iis struggling with the car and job, so by this definition he'd need it far more than these guys.

My reality though is that this USO and next Wimby are the very last couple chances for Fed to settle the argument and while this on coming up is very open, he's in somewhat good form, etc., next year is too far to base anything on, so basically this is his last best chance.

But yeah, speculations on an unclear subject :)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Fed's won this multiple times before, he doesn't need anything

Nole needs this title because although he's gotten out of the GS slump, he's only got 1 title there even though he always goes really deep there. It's a terrible record

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
Fraud certainly doesn't need nor deserve another USO. He's won plenty in his clown era.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
Out of those, Berdych or Tsonga. Time is running out and they are not getting any younger. Ferrer I don't consider slam winning material.

As for Federer "needing" another slam :rolleyes: Talk about insatiable apetites. If he had 30, he'd still "need" another one just to be on the safe side for another century or so.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Federer doesn't need it so much. Kneedal/Wristdal will never reach 17.

This is a huge chance for Ferrer, he'd have the game to win. Unfortunately, if he's in a position to win, he'll fold like a cheap tent.

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts
LOL @ those saying Fed NEEDS another slam. Fed has 17, he doesn't need any more. Of course he wants more, but NEED? LOL please.

Dimitrov has never gotten past the 1st round of the USO. He could go far this year, sure, but who knows. When was the last time a player went from making the first round of a slam one year, to winning it the very next?
If we're talking about a player who never won a match in that slam before, then Gustavo Kuerten FO 1997. He lost R1 1996 when he played it for the 1st time.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
murray but he wont win it

1 - 20 of 101 Posts