Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ranked 363, this 20 years old Taiwanese is currently playing in a challenger tournament in Chile and he reached the final beating Alejandro Gonzalez, Donati, Bagnis and Andujar. He was the underdog in all 4 matches. :eek:
He won his first Futures title last month and is now on a 9 win streak. Is this guy the new big thing from Asia?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Good question...I follow pretty much all players up to around 300-400 in the rankings and I didn't know about him. He's been tearing it up in Chile, some really good wins. Will probably watch his match tomorrow vs Dellien and get a better idea of his game.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
So he won a Future and reached a Challenger QF okay? Is that anything special? No it is not. Lets keep in mind before said future, he lost 3 tournaments in a row first round before we start overhyping another mug.

·
Registered
9,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So he won a Future and reached a Challenger QF okay? Is that anything special? No it is not. Lets keep in mind before said future, he lost 3 tournaments in a row first round before we start overhyping another mug.
Yes, it is special. The guy did nothing notable prior to this, these results are coming out of nowhere and it's not even his favourite surface.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've heard about him earlier only because of a fact I'm very into junior tennis stuff, but I've watched him (or at least don't remember if I've done it before) for the first time here. And yeah, it's possible his final is only a fluke and combination of streaky conditions and period of a season, but what kept my attention about him was, firstly, a fact he made his breakthrough on clay while almost every Asian prefers to play on HC, and secondly, a fact he's very tall for Asian, I bet he's 6'1'-6'2' dude, what gives very interesting effect considering he's technically well-developed as every Asian player is, at least in two matches I've seen. He was killing Andujar with BHDTL all match long.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Definitely impressive considering his Futures win two weeks ago was on hard courts, now reaching a final on clay in a Challenger.

As with most players from Taiwan, there is not much known about him or any hype. But I watched some of the match against Andujar and he can definitely play.

The only time I ever saw his name before this year was in DC, but looking forward to seeing more of him. Final tomorrow against Dellien should offer some insights as to his abilities, as Dellien has played extremely well in the past few months.

·
Registered
21,394 Posts
Wu Tung-Lin Ain't Nuthing ta F' Wit

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Interesting.. Looking through his results there really aren't any notable ones before this. except one of his first challenger matches he beat Kudla when he was 18 years old. I didn't know anything about this guy but think there are some good young players coming through in Asia. However, unless you're clearly a top player like Nishikori, Chung, Nishioka, etc. I think it's harder in some ways for Asian players to find their potential since the field is often not so great in the local tournaments. so i always thought they would benefit from playing in tournaments in other continents but it's obviously financially difficult at the early stages of their career. Will be interesting to see if this player can build on this.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Banned ! What happened :lol:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I've heard about him earlier only because of a fact I'm very into junior tennis stuff, but I've watched him (or at least don't remember if I've done it before) for the first time here. And yeah, it's possible his final is only a fluke and combination of streaky conditions and period of a season, but what kept my attention about him was, firstly, a fact he made his breakthrough on clay while almost every Asian prefers to play on HC, and secondly, a fact he's very tall for Asian, I bet he's 6'1'-6'2' dude, what gives very interesting effect considering he's technically well-developed as every Asian player is, at least in two matches I've seen. He was killing Andujar with BHDTL all match long.
I have a friend with Asian heritage, and if you see my friend play tennis, you will see not every Asian player is technically well developed. Yes, I have a real point, that being it may that players with less height and power in general are either technically well developed, or they will make little impact on pro-tennis... rather than any thing specific about being Asian.

On the other hand, a young player who suddenly gets it together can indicate someone who has simply not realised their potential in previous matches. So worth further scrutiny. Too early to get too excited, but worth following further progress.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts