Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No one, its perfect the way it is now

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I for one like the inner beast Djokovic that shows up once in a while. Federer yes especially this ballet classy Federer attitude combined with shy Nadal has brought us uber boredom as far as interviews goes and on court actions.

I want to see real rivalry, going for body shots at the net, or when you're 40-0 hit that first serve directly at the body without bounce. No handshake to spice things up or for once say you're the favorite. I have said once, the new generation of people in general are also to blame, less manly... I'm affraid to go in detail as I will recieve another ban, because people fail to interpretate my words.

I understand the big guns have a huge responsibility, but thats not a valid reason to give the same interview over and over again and again...
Murray for example can be entertaining off court, but I feel the other top guns are just trying too hard not to be hated. We had a natural semi alpha villain in 2007-2008 who was rejected by the fans, forcing robotic manners to be inplanted, yes I'm talking about Djokovic.
One of the legendary interviews: Djokovic vs the world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plbomcLe1rI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plbomcLe1rI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plbomcLe1rI

Roddick is the goat off- court, one of my favorites liked him even more when he faced off Djokovic, despite rooting for the Serbinator.
Sadly after Roddicks retirement the interviews have been incredible boring, on court actions can still be entertaining, but not as it used to be.

Ofcourse this is only my opinion, if a majority say they are satisfied with current condition then surely I will have to look in the mirror.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
I agree. Djokovic has a chance but blew it. Roddick was great for the game because of it. Connors and McEnroe are legends, same with Natase and even Borg had his moments.

We need someone to break the PR mold.

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. Djokovic has a chance but blew it. Roddick was great for the game because of it. Connors and McEnroe are legends, same with Natase and even Borg had his moments.

We need someone to break the PR mold.
Wait we actually agree on something?

·
Registered
17,892 Posts
I have only one explanation for this: that's the fake PC agenda that ATP forces on the top players.
They are not allowed to say what's in their heart, even if it would upset other players and fanbases, they are not even allowed to say anything slightly controversial, at least against some other players.
They are only allowed to submit their views about the tournaments, the ATP calendar year and the surfaces.
Way too limited.

We all see that this has led to really meaningless victory speeches and on/off court interviews. Whether someone will break this cycle we cannot know yet. There is obviously high pressure on anyone trying to break loose from this pattern.
No one is risking to get some kind of public "ban", I suppose. So no new "Roddick" in this sense, this time.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Gulbis. Because unfortunately he isn't winning any matches anymore, hence hardly ever gets interviewed these days. :sad:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The players themselves because they're money-hungry PRbots?
Rafa, Nole and especially Roger make way more in endorsements than in prize money.
And you don't need to become a mass murderer to damage your image and lose your endorsement deals. Think Tiger Woods, he's back up top now, but he lost major money (dozens of millions) just because he cheated on his wife.
Marketability is a very unstable construct.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
No1e's accent back than :haha:

Wow .. he remarkably improved his pronunciation and overall communication skills :yeah:

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Roger Federer , the most boring, but succeseful PR mashine in sport.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Roger Federer , the most boring, but succeseful PR mashine in sport.
So wrong. Yes Federer has a 'perfect' image of him in the eyes of casual viewers but anybody who follows interviews regularly knows that he's the most honest and outspoken player among the top players at least, & just because say Gulbis has rebellious opinions doesn't mean he is being any more honest than Roger.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
the sponsors are to blame

sponsorships have gotten more lucrative than ever and the reality is that any big company that is willing to pay you to wear their stuff or advertise for them is going to want the most PC friendly attitude as possible, as to allow the player in question to be universally liked and appreciated by any and all types of people

endorsement deals are probably as big as they've ever been in sport, at least in tennis, and the reality is that a player will lose their endorsements (or never get them in the first place) if they act rudely or with attitude and spice. corporations don't want to be affiliated with anything that offends or alienates some of their potential customers

I think its plainly obvious this is the biggest thing. the players care about money (obviously, this is their career) and since many top players make more $$$$$ from endorsements than tournament prize money, of course they're naturally going to be very careful with what they say and how they act

not saying I'm happy with this, it just is the obvious reality of how things work

·
Registered
412 Posts
Kyrgios isn't entertaining off court, he's just a nothing who treats people rudely on court.
In your opinion.

No excuses for him showing his temper on court, but I've seen him be quite the opposite of rude on court, but this never gets mentioned. :shrug:

And if reaching 2 Grand Slam Quarter Finals in less than 9 months while still a teenager, and having Nike think him worthy enough to already give him his own line make him 'a nothing', then we might have a tour almost full of 'less than' nothings, folks! Tennis might be in trouble! :scared:

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
In what way is Federer boring? He's the most naturally charismatic person on the tour...if you want boring, look no further than Nishikori, and he's by far my favourite player. A very nice chap but my god does he repeat the same things over and over again.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Well jeez, I wonder.

Every single time a player says something the slightest bit inflammatory in an interview, this entire forum has a meltdown. Haters come out in droves, tards begin firing at one another, and people start making wild assumptions about a player's personality based on that one single incident.

I'd love just as much as anyone else for players to show more personality in press conferences, but in this age of social media, anything off-color is going to start a Twitter firestorm. That's negative publicity that sponsors don't like, and that the ATP doesn't like (because it's a business just like anything else). So as much as it sucks, the players don't have much choice in the matter.

Imagine, for instance, if Novak actually told reporters, "I'm going to kick Rafa's ass at Roland Garros this year."

That would be showing some personality even if he was joking around, but the ensuing thread on this forum would get 300+ posts of hate and vitriol towards Novak within 15 minutes. Twitter would explode, the media would shit their pants, and both Novak and Rafa would get harassed by reporters about it for the next several days until Novak gave a halfhearted public apology. It just isn't worth all the trouble for them.

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Some of what you wrote is not going to happen (nor to my liking) but ironically Nadal nailed Djokovic at net in Toronto and the reactions were priceless.

What did you all think of that at the time?
Its just like you said the reactions were priceless...

Well jeez, I wonder.

Every single time a player says something the slightest bit inflammatory in an interview, this entire forum has a meltdown. Haters come out in droves, tards begin firing at one another, and people start making wild assumptions about a player's personality based on that one single incident.

I'd love just as much as anyone else for players to show more personality in press conferences, but in this age of social media, anything off-color is going to start a Twitter firestorm. That's negative publicity that sponsors don't like, and that the ATP doesn't like (because it's a business just like anything else). So as much as it sucks, the players don't have much choice in the matter.

Imagine, for instance, if Novak actually told reporters, "I'm going to kick Rafa's ass at Roland Garros this year."

That would be showing some personality even if he was joking around, but the ensuing thread on this forum would get 300+ posts of hate and vitriol towards Novak within 15 minutes. Twitter would explode, the media would shit their pants, and both Novak and Rafa would get harassed by reporters about it for the next several days until Novak gave a halfhearted public apology. It just isn't worth all the trouble for them.
So you are putting the blame on the fans? Sponsors and authority are mostly adapting the rules to our believes, fans in this position.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts