Votes: 7 3.6%
  • Janowicz

Votes: 10 5.2%
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which of these mugs gets far too much credit for their slamless CVs?

Some of these players are even held in higher regard than some Grand Slam champions when it comes to "WWW Masters and Major" threads.

Who is the MOST overrated compared to their achievements to date?

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Pretty sure there are several versions of this thread, and the answer is always the same:

Ferrer.

Because his fans refuse to accept that he maxed out on his potential and see him as a multi-major champion of some other era, including the one that he was actually a part of, age-wise, but failed to actually make an impact in.

But truthfully, every player gets over-hyped by his own fan-base to some extent.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was going to include Ferrer, but he has put together a respectable CV, and is not held in high regard for a bunch of nothingness (interviews, clowning, a mythic peak or big forehand).

Gulbis was treated like the next Safin on here for a while, and Nishikori is seemingly 2nd or 3rd favourite for every Grand Slam or Masters these days.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Ferrer by miles.

Read BackhandDTL's post for a detailed explanation.

·
29,645 Posts
I was going to include Ferrer, but he has put together a respectable CV, and is not held in high regard for a bunch of nothingness (interviews, clowning, a mythic peak or big forehand).

Gulbis was treated like the next Safin on here for a while, and Nishikori is seemingly 2nd or 3rd favourite for every Grand Slam or Masters these days.
Tsonga and Berdych have also put together respectable CVs though, and Tsonga's CV is arguably better than Ferrer's also.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
I was going to include Ferrer, but he has put together a respectable CV, and is not held in high regard for a bunch of nothingness (interviews, clowning, a mythic peak or forehand).
This is a good point. It just kind of astounds me when people adamantly believe he should win multiple of something he's never managed to win even once.

I actually didn't notice the poll you included.

Of those names, I would say:

1. Gulbis
2. Fognini

Pretty sure many people were serious about that "Real #8" stuff back in the day, but he still hasn't done anything really significant, to my memory.

Fognini astoundingly gets hyped as some super talent, but he epitomizes inconsistency.

I really don't think anyone has hyped Janowicz up since his Paris run, but if they do, the reasoning would be interesting.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ferrer by miles.

Read BackhandDTL's post for a detailed explanation.
Sure, but no one on here treats Ferrer like a Slam contender, and the guy generally gets about as much respect as Berdych despite putting together a better career.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Pretty sure there are several versions of this thread, and the answer is always the same:

Ferrer.

Because his fans refuse to accept that he maxed out on his potential and see him as a multi-major champion of some other era, including the one that he was actually a part of, age-wise, but failed to actually make an impact in.

But truthfully, every player gets over-hyped by his own fan-base to some extent.
I'm a Ferru fan, but part of the reason I love him is because he's made the most of his potential. I do think he might've won a Slam in a different era, but I don't think he'd have been some multi-major champion or anything.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Sure, but no one on here treats Ferrer like a Slam contender, and the guy generally gets about as much respect as Berdych despite putting together a better career.
You're proving my point here. Berdych is a much better player than Ferrer.

·
Registered
60,511 Posts
Nishikori by a mile. But only by a few people, just very vocally.

Tsonga is also quite overrated, though I like him. Not in achievements but in talent. He's done well considering his injuries and holes in his game IMO.

I strongly disagree that Ferrer is an overachiever. I love overachievers. My favorite is probably the biggest overachiever of the past 10 years. Ferrer is if anything an underachiever.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
There you have it, Shark.

Though, in fairness to passingshotDTL, I should have said "some" of his fans.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Mr Blobby aka Nalbandian seems to be beloved around here.

Out of those players, Nishikori easily.

This is talking MTF only, wider public its Greg by a landslide.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Mr Blobby aka Nalbandian seems to be beloved around here.

Out of those players, Nishikori easily.

This is talking MTF only, wider public its Greg by a landslide.
Greg as in Greg Rusedski?

·
Registered
20,670 Posts
Has to be Dimitrov obviously, then Nishikori coming as a close 2nd.
I seriously think neither of them will ever win a slam and that will seal their fate at the envisioned top.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
This is one of those polls where the winner will almost by definition be the wrong answer. Because it is a negative designation and therefore the winner will be someone disliked by MTF. Someone disliked by MTF is almost inevitably therefore underrated by MTF.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
I am sorry but Dimitrov. He is too worried about Bouchard to live up even 10% of his hype

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Much better? No way. Berdych has superior physical gifts compared to Ferrer, and he's still a walking bye when it comes to top players.
A walking bye who's beaten all of them (all blowouts) at the Slams at one point or another? Sounds legit. Ferrer could never dream of taking out Federer or Djokovic at Wimbledon (or any Slam really), let alone back to back dropping only a set.

Berdych is sort of a mug in many ways, but he's still a way better tennis player than Ferrer. It's actually one of those rare questions MTF sort of got right when it comes to Ferrer: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=202099

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Gulbis talent was always overrated. He had some great matches but was never going to be a slam contender. Dimitrov is overrated but might win a slam given the mug era that is approaching. Monfils is a bit overrated too. His athleticism is sublime, but he's not as talented as some make him out to be.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts