• Nishikori

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Murray

Votes: 1 5.9%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
There is two types of aggression: stupid aggression and smart aggression. The best aggression is the smart aggression. So, I believe it depends on which aggression one wants.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Smart aggression would be Federer and stupid aggression would probably be Brown. Karlovic makes a good case too as he’s always coming to net and almost all his forehands are slap shot like.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Smart aggression would be Federer and stupid aggression would probably be Brown. Karlovic makes a good case too as he’s always coming to net and almost all his forehands are slap shot like.
Hard to call them stupid aggressors , since they are playing to their only tennis strenghts they know/can . Live and die by what they've been born with . I guess in Brown case not being able to add to his arsenal and mix it up a more balanced game defense as the game goes makes him kinda, but too late to teach an old dog new tricks. Karlovic is just too tall and brute, he has no choice but to keep the game short and quick.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
On topic I would say Shapovalov and Federer is not on top in this conversation anymore. It used to be for many years .

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
The controlled aggression that is most pleasing to my eyes to watch is Djokovic. Just an incredible athlete and player. Happy Birthday to this legend. 🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Hard to call them stupid aggressors , since they are playing to their only tennis strenghts they know/can . Live and die by what they've been born with . I guess in Brown case not being able to add to his arsenal and mix it up a more balanced game defense as the game goes makes him kinda, but too late to teach an old dog new tricks. Karlovic is just too tall and brute, he has no choice but to keep the game short and quick.
I only meant stupid for Brown, the others are smarter. I love Brown but you can’t deny he chooses to hit a bunch of dumb shots but that’s what makes him unpredictable. I guess he’s smart and stupid if you look at it that way 😂.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Cilic.The only player for me on the tour that plays always in a full attack mode.But that is also his bad side,cause sometimes u need to slow down...

·
Registered
961 Posts
Overall aggressive mindset / natural aggression - Federer: takes the ball earlier than anyone else on almost every shot he can, uses variety to stop his opponents getting rhythm which keeps the points short, best serve + 1 combination in tennis history

Reckless aggression - Brown: all-out power, smacks returns, goes for big second serves, and consistently comes to the net even when it doesn't make sense to

Controlled aggression - Djokovic: not aggressive in the traditional sense of hitting the ball hard and going for winners, but he continually redirects the ball, keeps his shots deep and pushes you back with deep returns, which makes him the most aggressive out of the modern breed of counter-punching players

Rosol is a decent choice for reckless aggression as well. Tsonga and Cilic would be near the top of lists of naturally aggressive players. In terms of past players, I think Davydenko and Agassi are good choices for controlled aggression while the likes of Sampras also deserve to be in Federer's category.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Overall aggressive mindset / natural aggression - Federer: takes the ball earlier than anyone else on almost every shot he can, uses variety to stop his opponents getting rhythm which keeps the points short, best serve + 1 combination in tennis history

Reckless aggression - Brown: all-out power, smacks returns, goes for big second serves, and consistently comes to the net even when it doesn't make sense to

Controlled aggression - Djokovic: not aggressive in the traditional sense of hitting the ball hard and going for winners, but he continually redirects the ball, keeps his shots deep and pushes you back with deep returns, which makes him the most aggressive out of the modern breed of counter-punching players

Rosol is a decent choice for reckless aggression as well. Tsonga and Cilic would be near the top of lists of naturally aggressive players. In terms of past players, I think Davydenko and Agassi are good choices for controlled aggression while the likes of Sampras also deserve to be in Federer's category.
Couldn’t of put it better myself. Spot on analysis

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sampras. The serve, the forehand, the net attacks.
Federer for the active players.
Others that come to mind: Becker, Lendl, Safin, Agassi, Del Potro.

·
|
15,325 Posts
Of the big3, its Rafa-

2019 Wimbledon Final had 422 points.
Federer came to the net 65 times (won 51).

2019 US Open Final had 341 points.
Nadal came to the net 66 times (won 51).

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
That face when you open the 'most aggressive player' thread and Djokovic has been posted couple times. Quality trolling - never meaning no harm.

No mention for Gilles Simon?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Shapovalov in terms of complete ball bashing. Thiem's also very aggressive. I consider "aggressive" play as the player that goes for the winner first. LOL at Rafa or Novak being mentioned...cmon guys

1 - 20 of 39 Posts