Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who is the mentally strongest player ever?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These few years it's Djokovic, no doubt. Rafa was a mental giant up to 2014 but after that, his mental tenacity has declined greatly. So who is the strongest player mentally ever to play? Can we only speak of a player that is strongest mentally in his own era, or there is an overall GOAT in this aspect?

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I'll go with Djokovic. But truth is all these guys have shown to be vulnerable at times. They are human after all.

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
Anyone who saw the last 2 slam finals and particularly the 5th sets should know Nadal is still a healthy margin above MTOvic who gifts away sets being a diva.

Reactions: Bakano

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Djokovic and Nadal, evidence - Last 2 slam finals. Both didn't play there best by any stretch but mentally dug in and found a way to win.
Rafa was way stronger mentally in the pre-2014 period. I've never seen him make so many bad shot selections at key points like vs Thiem at AO this year. Literally, horrible shots that handed Thiem those points. That heedless rush to the net on 7 all in 4th set TB... mindboggling.

He also played a very dumb point in 3rd set TB at WB SF 2018 vs Djoko which cost him the match. Old Rafa would've found a way to win those points.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Rafa was till 2014 on another level. Since then it's Djokovic. Over the whole career I would say Rafa and Novak are very equal. We shouldn't forget the hard loses Novak had at Grand Slams against Rafa too.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What about Del Potro? He was incredibly clutch in important matches. But I am not sure whether he can qualify as the mental GOAT.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Easy to be mentally strong when you are the better player.
That said I would go with Djokovic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anyone who saw the last 2 slam finals and particularly the 5th sets should know Nadal is still a healthy margin above MTOvic who gifts away sets being a diva.
Well Novak came back 3 times when he was 15-40(2 match points) down against Federer... That speaks volumes about Djokovic's mental strength

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Rafa, for me. He controls his emotions, rarely shows them off, and moves on with the game better than anyone.

Djokovic loses his sh!t when things are not going for him. Didn't Djokovic smash his racquet in the recently concluded ATP cup?

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
What about Del Potro? He was incredibly clutch in important matches. But I am not sure whether he can qualify as the mental GOAT.
Watch most any Del Potro vs. DJOKOVIC OR Nadal match and you will see why the latter are miles above him.

They have the ability to raise their game and win. Djokovic is clearly the mental GOAT now. Nadal used to be one.. best example is RG 2013 where he was incredibly clutch vs. DJOKOVIC.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Nadal is the mentally toughest player that I've ever seen. He doesn't really have that much to his game, other than an awesome forehand, running around a lot, and trying hard on every point. And people tend to forget, his game is significantly worse than it used to be. Go back and look at his performances ten years ago.

In fact, just go back and look at his results in the 2008 French Open. Won three love sets, nine sets losing one game. So that's four whole matches where he only lost a maximum of one game per set. Only played one tie-break in the entire competition, and that result was a foregone conclusion by then anyway. Just crushed everyone in straight sets. Then he beat peak Federer on his best court, when he'd won Wimbledon five years in a row.

He was an absolute beast at that age, because of his physical intensity. Since then, he can't move around like he used to, and his forehand has dipped quite a bit. And yet, he's still churning out the French Opens. Every ****ing year, like clockwork. Every year he needs to win it to make it a good season and keep up with the so-called GOAT race, and 12 times he's done it.

He's 24-0 in semi-finals and finals at RG. And every time he's challenged, he just goes up another level and crushes his opponent. Thiem looked like he had half a chance last year, Nadal had lost the second set and was under pressure, and then he just went up a gear and swept him off the court.

For me, there is no contest. I consider Nadal to be the weakest player of the big three, but he never gives up, he never chokes, his head never goes down, he never blows winning positions, he never moans about minor physical ailments, and he churns out the French Open every year, even if he goes into it playing garbage.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Its obviously del potro.

It was nadal easily until 2014, he was a mental fortress, I was terrified of his matches with novak, but after the injuries he lost it, he is not the same anymore and is owned by federer and djokovic outside clay.
Djokovic was mentally the weakest of the 3 by a huge margin until 2015, all those chokes in close matches and under preformances. After he avoided the choke against federer in wimbledon 2015 he became only stronger and stronger mentally(other than his matches against stan).

Sampras was mentally implacable too.
There is no defining answer.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Sampras or Nadal. Too many long Disappearing MIA acts from Nole. Nole SHOULD have broken the slam record quite a few years ago actually if not for the MIA sessions

1 - 20 of 46 Posts