Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who is your GS performer of the year?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my view there are three candidates (sorted according to their current ranking positions):

1. Novak Djokovic
Results: W/R16/F
Record: 16-2 (88% wins)
Record against the other two: 1-1
What his tards say: He didn't actually lose at the USO, and could have had the most wins and points.
What his haters say: A loss is a loss. There is nothing in which he is better at than the other two.

2. Rafael Nadal
Results: QF/DNP/W
Record: 11-1 (92% wins)
What his tards say: He has the best winning percentage.
What his haters say: He chickened out of the USO, leaving him fresher for RG.

3. Dominic Thiem
Results: F/W/QF
Record: 17-2 (89% wins)
What his tards (including me) say: He has the most points and wins, and he's also undefeated when fully fresh.
What his haters say: He got lucky at the USO.

These three had pretty similar seasons based on the numbers. All of them won one slam, all of them have a neutral 1-1 record against the other two, all of them have a winning percentage around 90. You could make a valid point for any of these three of why they deserve this title. Thiem for example has the most wins/points, whereas Djokovic could have had them if he didn't get disqualified, and Nadal has the best winning percentage. So in the end it simply seems like a matter of personal preference.

So MTF, who is your Grand Slam performer of the year?
For me, it's Dominic. In true tard fashion I came to the conclusion that the things he was better at than the others are the most important things.

·
Registered
19,238 Posts
To me its Rafa.

I feel like AO was merely a result of the draw.

If Djokovic had drawn Thiem in the QF, he'd have lost to a physically fresh Dominic, as Rafa did, and Rafa would have been the rested finals opponent waiting on Thiem.

It would have been a reverse, basically.

Then the unplayable FO performance?

Of course, Thiem was a set from 2 slams, and Djoker a DQ from a potential 2nd, but again a clash with Thiem would have been 50/50.

·
Registered
36 Posts
IMO, the Grand Slam benefactor of the year has been Roger Federer. Had a 'normal' year occurred and the 4 Slams been played as usual, Djoko would have been overwhelming fave at Wimbledon. Nadal would have played the USO and given the level of Thiem-Zverev in that final, would have had a great chance to win.

20-20-17 could have easily been 20-21-18.

·
11,142 Posts
Zverev

If you consider his previous

Reactions: DieGOAT

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
IMO, the Grand Slam benefactor of the year has been Roger Federer. Had a 'normal' year occurred and the 4 Slams been played as usual, Djoko would have been overwhelming fave at Wimbledon. Nadal would have played the USO and given the level of Thiem-Zverev in that final, would have had a great chance to win.

20-20-17 could have easily been 20-21-18.
Disagree man. Federer had it worst. He had all the momentum to best his Wimbledon result last year. I will only consider him to be lucky if both this USO and FO were cancelled due to covid-19.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Rafa because he's old while Thiem in his prime and Nole is affected by throatgate.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Djokovic. Nadal didn't play the US Open, which kind of disqualifies him in my opinion. Thiem won the USO, but mainly because the Big 3 weren't there. Djokovic on the other hand won Australia, reached the final in the French, and only lost the US Open due to disqualification. So, I think it's a clear win for Djokovic.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To me its Rafa.

I feel like AO was merely a result of the draw.

If Djokovic had drawn Thiem in the QF, he'd have lost to a physically fresh Dominic, as Rafa did, and Rafa would have been the rested finals opponent waiting on Thiem.

It would have been a reverse, basically.

Then the unplayable FO performance?

Of course, Thiem was a set from 2 slams, and Djoker a DQ from a potential 2nd, but again a clash with Thiem would have been 50/50.
Interesting points. A lot of that comes down to the random nature of tournaments caused by a randomly generated draw. A random draw with single match knockout rounds will never necessarily be the fairest way of determining a winner of a tournament, but it surely is the most exciting and entertaining one.

Anyway, I'm finding it hard to call a player who has only participated in 2 out of 3 slams the GS performer of the year, and it seems like most of the users here would agree with me on that one. Now if he had won both of these slams, that could be a completely different story of course.

W+F+QF > W+F+R4 > W+QF

Not to mention Thiem beat more Top 10 players at slams this year than Djokovic and Nadal combined.
Good point with the wins against top 10 players, I might add that to the OP later if I'm in the mood.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts