21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Lol nobody outpushes Nadal

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Court position has nothing to do whether you push or not, Kukushkin to give an example play very close to the baseline but pushes a lot. Thiem can play a few meters from baseline but is one of the hardest hitter in the game.
True, but Nadal clearly returns from the stands to push like there is no tomorrow.

Please people. Nadal is the greatest pusher that ever lived on this planet. Don't pretend otherwise.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Watch a few points from this, if you dare:

Surely the worst level of entertainment in a GS final ever. They should have refused to hand out the trophy to the winner.
Christ almighty that is some godawful tennis. I can’t believe that was a final. Never have I seen such atrocious playing. The second point in that video........just fuckin kill me already.

·
Registered
762 Posts
It is not fair or accurate to describe Nadal as a pusher. He puts massive effort into hitting the ball. That's part of the reason why he suffers so many injuries.

It is fair and accurate to describe Nadal as a fundamentally defensive player, as that's what he is.

Simon would be the most obvious example of a pusher among prominent players, as far as I can think. But I would say he's actually less defensive than Nadal.

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
Lol Nadal a pusher??? One of the best forehands and backhands ever....

WTF people smoking

·
Registered
968 Posts
Court position has nothing to do whether you push or not, Kukushkin to give an example play very close to the baseline but pushes a lot. Thiem can play a few meters from baseline but is one of the hardest hitter in the game.
This. One thing is to push and one thing is to return from far away from baseline. Very little connection.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Watch a few points from this, if you dare:

Surely the worst level of entertainment in a GS final ever. They should have refused to hand out the trophy to the winner.
Lol, this does look pretty bad at times - almost like two buddies playing a casual match. Claycourt Tennis has improved quite a bit since then.

Compare these points to this, for example

(and yes, I get that racket technology made a big difference, but still):

·
10,297 Posts
I can’t figure out for the life of me why he plays like that and how he succeeds that much playing like that at 6’6. Truly a mystery.
Medvedev isn't really a pusher but some sort of hybrid.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm surprised that no one has brought up Ferrer. To me, he's the biggest pusher if not the biggest achiever with that style. I was simply incapable of generating pase or power on his own, so he would have to resort to the counter punching tactic, which he used quite well. Considering how limited he was talent wise, he achieved as much as he potentially could. End of the discussion.

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
Mats Wilander vs. Jimmy Connors H2H: 4-0.
Some here clearly view Jimmy Connors as much better than he really was. Don't get blinded by the 109 titles.

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
I'm surprised that no one has brought up Ferrer. To me, he's the biggest pusher if not the biggest achiever with that style.
Disagree, he was often the aggressor in the rallies, taking the ball very early and dictating the rallies quite often.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts