Mens Tennis Forums banner

Pick EXACTLY TWO players who are the biggest threats to Djokovic at the US Open.

• Murray

Votes: 37 36.6%
  • Federer

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • Nadal

Votes: 15 14.9%
  • Wawrinka

Votes: 63 62.4%
  • Nishikori

Votes: 21 20.8%
  • Cilic

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • Berdych

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Tsonga

• Raonic

• Kyrgios

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Dimitrov

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Isner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After watching Nishikori play at the Washington Citi Open, I am convinced he has the goods to defeat Djokovic. He is back in form.

He can match Djokovic on the baseline, hit winners on both wings, play excellent defense, do a defense-to-offense transition, hit winners while retrieving balls far left or far right. He serves decent too. The only advantage Djokovic would have is serve and return. Whereas Nishikori has strong grit and will-to-win as his advantages, and just that he is much younger and fresher than Djokovic, and wants his first slam much more than Djokovic wants his 10th.

I think Nishikori and Wawrinka are the two greatest threats to Novak at the US Open.

Novak would be able to handle Federer, Murray, Nadal, Berdych, Isner, Cilic, etc but am not sure he can handle these two when they are playing their best tennis.

Being a Novak fan, I am praying for these two players to be in the other half and be defeated by some other player so that Novak does not have deal with them. (Thanks Gasquet for finishing off Wawrinka in Wimbledon)

Who do you think are the biggest threats to Djokovic at the US Open and why?

·
Registered
18,097 Posts
Re: Who is the biggest threat for Djoker at this US Open?

I just barely made it through 'Nishikori has great defense', but really had to stop reading after 'He serves well too.'

·
Registered
3,819 Posts

My opinion too..though djok serves miles better than nish.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts

HurricaneRay

·
Registered
2,328 Posts

1. chokovic

2. giftovic

3. Murray

4. Nishikori

5. Wawrinka

Reactions: Ja znam sebe...

·
Registered
2,370 Posts

djoker as top seed may not even face any of the main danger guys. who knows until the draw is out.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts

Obviously Wawrinka. Ever since the AO'13 match Djokovic seems unable to string consecutive good sets against him at slams.

Hard to pick the second biggest threat. Imo the USO SF last year was just a total aberration and Nishikori is actually a good match-up for Djokovic. Federer is zero threat over BO5. Murray is a walking bye. Nadal is a shadow of himself.

·
Registered
10,938 Posts

I'll use Johnny Groove language here ... Lets focus first on Bellucci/Cuevas

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

Obviously Wawrinka. Ever since the AO'13 match Djokovic seems unable to string consecutive good sets against him at slams.

Hard to pick the second biggest threat. Imo the USO SF last year was just a total aberration and Nishikori is actually a good match-up for Djokovic. Federer is zero threat over BO5. Murray is a walking bye. Nadal is a shadow of himself.
I do agree that Novak lost last year SF due to heat. Novak was maybe playing at 70% of his real level in that match.

But even then Nishikori has the capability to raise his level when it counts. Sometimes his shots from the baseline can carry more venom than Djokovic's. However, I think Novak has taken his serve and return-of-serve this year to a much higher level than last year, and that should help him win against him this year if they were to meet, is my hope! :)

·
Your visions will happen
48,648 Posts

USO is too far away, I cannot look past Canada R32

·
Registered
18,097 Posts

USO is too far away, I cannot look past Canada R32
R32? You shouldn't look past R64. BYE is a dangerous opponent, if the top guys aren't cautious it's bye bye Canada.

Reactions: RedHotRafa49

·
Registered
2,805 Posts

I do agree that Novak lost last year SF due to heat. But even then Nishikori has the capability to raise his level when it counts. Sometimes his shots from the baseline can carry more venom than Djokovic's. However, I think Novak has taken his level of serve and return-of-serve this year to a much higher level than last year, and that should help him win against him this year if they were to meet.
Kei outplayed him. Get over it.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts

Wawrinka is the biggest threat. Murray would be my pick for second biggest. Despite the whole 8-0 thing, Murray is still capable of beating Djokovic in a GS, at least more so than Federer. Nishikori won't beat Djokovic again unless Novak has a very off day or Nishikori plays his very best. Both unlikely scenarios at this point. It's by no means a given that Nishikori will even get near the SF stage to play against Djokovic in the first place.

·
Banned
1,606 Posts

The Swiss players are the only ones who can challenge him. Of the two, Wawrinka is the only one with a legitimate chance of beating him, but even then Novak should take the title.

·
Your visions will happen
48,648 Posts

R32? You shouldn't look past R64. BYE is a dangerous opponent, if the top guys aren't cautious it's bye bye Canada.
Yes, gonna be a tough match

·
Registered
2,805 Posts

Lol at using extreme heat as an excuse when BOTH players are out there at the same time :rolls:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Tsonga and Robredo outplayed him before that, too. Though I'm sure Djokovic being a newlywed man had nothing to do with it. I'm sure he had prepared and trained well. And in regards to that loss against Nishikori ... the 110 degrees on-court temperature at the U.S. also probably had nothing to do with it .. since we all know how much Djokovic loves playing in front of the sun in extreme heat.

No excuses.
:bigclap:

1 - 20 of 129 Posts