Mens Tennis Forums banner

?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which player seems to turn the most into a total mug in Grand Slam events ? Here are my picks :
Gilles Simon - 0 SF, 1 QF (through retirement in R16)
Kevin Anderson - 0 SF, 0 QF
David Goffin - 0 SF, 0 QF
John Isner - 0 SF, 1 QF
Tommy Robredo - 0 SF, 5 QFs
Richard Gasquet - 2 SFs, 0 QF (went further than R16 only twice)

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Out of these I'd say Simon as well. As much as he is a pusher, he can play tennis. The other guys on this list are too streaky, too one dimensional or too young to really judge. And Gasquet is fine as is.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Simon has a pretty dismal slam record for a former top 10 player. Of course his main problem is that his playstyle leads to a lot of long, tiring matches in the earlier rounds.

If anything I'd say Gasquet is an overachiever with those 2 SFs...

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Which player seems to turn the most into a total mug in Grand Slam events ? Here are my picks :
Gilles Simon - 0 SF, 1 QF (through retirement in R16)
Kevin Anderson - 0 SF, 0 QF
David Goffin - 0 SF, 0 QF
John Isner - 0 SF, 1 QF
Tommy Robredo - 0 SF, 5 QFs
Richard Gasquet - 2 SFs, 0 QF (went further than R16 only twice)
Both of these bolded guys overachieved.

Isner and Simon are underachievers. Both Anderson and Goffin have shot up and improved. the rankings in recent years, so time will tell with them

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If anything I'd say Gasquet is an overachiever with those 2 SFs...
Actually I'd say Gasquet probably overachieved by reaching 2 SFs but kind of underachieved by going further than R16 twice only. :lol:

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Out of those, Simon. Overall, Monfils.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Out of these I'd say Simon as well. As much as he is a pusher, he can play tennis. The other guys on this list are too streaky, too one dimensional or too young to really judge. And Gasquet is fine as is.
WTF is a PUSHER???? I Keep hearing this expression on this forum. Simon has a good touch. But he is too slightly built bordering on FRAIL, lacks effective sting and POWER in his game to challenge the big guns. BJORN Borg type builds aren't going far in this era UNDERSTAND? The guy is 6 foot tall and weighs 143 lbs WTF. Nadal is 6 foot 1 and weighs 188lbs. It's like having a lightweight boxer in the ring with a super middleweight. ITS NOT HAPPENING. That's why he has underachieved and is slam less.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
WTF is a PUSHER???? I Keep hearing this expression on this forum. Simon has a good touch. But he is too slightly built bordering on FRAIL, lacks effective sting and POWER in his game to challenge the big guns. BJORN Borg type builds aren't going far in this era UNDERSTAND? The guy is 6 foot tall and weighs 143 lbs WTF. Nadal is 6 foot 1 and weighs 188lbs. It's like having a lightweight boxer in the ring with a super middleweight. ITS NOT HAPPENING. That's why he has underachieved and is slam less.
I actually meant to say he's more than just the pusher he is sometimes accused of being, though he is obviously more passive than some other guys.

Not sure what the rest of your post means. It just suprises me that with his skills he hasn't gotten to a slam semi or something, despite maybe being smaller. Not sure if that makes you upset but I just meant to compliment his skills.

·
Registered
19,488 Posts
Someone please post that long rally on HC with Simon and the other guy from 2 years ago.
Pushing = staying in a rally as long as you can, just retrieving the ball :help:

Out of these guys Simon and I'd say Isner. Though his ground game was before 2014 almost non-existent, recently he developed a bit and he could have gone deeper in slams, especially on faster courts (USO, Wimby).

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I actually meant to say he's more than just the pusher he is sometimes accused of being, though he is obviously more passive than some other guys.

Not sure what the rest of your post means. It just suprises me that with his skills he hasn't gotten to a slam semi or something, despite maybe being smaller. Not sure if that makes you upset but I just meant to compliment his skills.
You need a degree of power in the modern game. And I don't see it coming from Simon weighing in at 143lbs and 6 foot. He isn't going to be able to push powerful players like Nadal and Murray, Wawrinka around. And that's why he is not going far in slams. Even Federer doesn't have muscular arms. But in his prime had powerful square shoulders and solid legs. That helped him with those whipping backhands and blistering forehands.

·
Premium Member
14,827 Posts
Goffin seems out of place in this list. Are you basing the 'underacheived' by number of GS as a top 20 player? If so Goffin's only GS as a top 20 player was the FO. He was seeded 20th for the AO but was #22 as Cilic and Tsonga withdrew.

Not sure how you are qualifying as underachieving. Is it leaving up to seeding/ranking? Top 20 only gets you to R3 for those ranked 17-20. QF is 'top 8' So by saying that a top 20 player is underachieving by not reaching QFs may seem a bit of a stretch depending on where you are that top 20.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Goffin seems out of place in this list. Are you basing the 'underacheived' by number of GS as a top 20 player? If so Goffin's only GS as a top 20 player was the FO. He was seeded 20th for the AO but was #22 as Cilic and Tsonga withdrew.

Not sure how you are qualifying as underachieving. Is it leaving up to seeding/ranking? Top 20 only gets you to R3 for those ranked 17-20. QF is 'top 8' So by saying that a top 20 player is underachieving by not reaching QFs may seem a bit of a stretch depending on where you are that top 20.
Simon was number 6 in the world once and hasn't even made a slam semi. That's underachieving alright...

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
djokovic

·
Premium Member
14,827 Posts
Simon was number 6 in the world once and hasn't even made a slam semi. That's underachieving alright...
As a number 6 not reaching a SF is not underachieving. Not reaching the QFs would be underachieving. Which looking at his results for when he was in the top 10 (Oct. 2008 - Oct. 2009). He had a QF (AO as 6th seed), 3R (FO as 7th seed), 4R (as 8th seed), 3R (as 9th seed). So yes in that case he is an underachiever, although the US Open he withdrew with an injury.

·
Registered
976 Posts
The odd thing about Gilles is he has a very good winning percentage at grand slams, top 20 of all active players. He almost never loses early and makes the fourth round a lot. The problem is he can't get past the 4th round because he's tired himself out by that point playing long matches.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts