Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who is the better tennis player, Del Potro or Roddick?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
21,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:

·
Registered
21,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Del Potro because won a slam in a strong era while Rodduck won it in a weak era.
I get your point, but that seems a bit too shortsighted. You can't determine their level of play over an extended period of time based on one Grand Slam.

·
Registered
18,092 Posts
Roddick. He was among the 5-10 best players in the world for like a decade with no dips.

I think del Potro is better at his best and had more potential to achieve than Roddick, but injuries have made his great performances far too sporadic to consider him a better overall player than someone who was a top contender tournament after tournament (bar on clay) for almost a decade.

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
Roddick may have been a top player but he was a shit tennis player.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Roddick may have been a top player but he was a shit tennis player.
Roddick is the only player to have beaten Djokovic 4 times in a row on outdoor hard court. Did you know that?

---

In answer to OP, Roddick. But Del Potro had more potential (sans injuries).

·
Registered
21,230 Posts
Roddick was a far more dynamic player in his earlier years.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Roddick easily. I get that Delpo has been injured, but come on.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Let's compare shot by shot.

Serve : Roddick. No contest.
FH : Del Potro. But younger Roddick had a quite powerful FH, too. Not as powerful ad Del Potro, though.
BH : Top spin, Del Potro. Slice, Roddick.
Volley : Roddick
Movement : Roddick.

So, it's Roddick, I guess. New tennis fans, tend to think Roddick was a joke. Maybe because they only watched older Roddick, or only looked at statistics. Roddick was a formidable player. He was really tough to break, and was a tie-break monster. He used to slapped winners off his FH, too.

But, a player like Del Potro has a really high peak game. Devastating groundstrokes. In full flight, it's hard seeing anyone stopping him. He would tear through any defense.

·
Registered
633 Posts
No offense to Del Potro but due to his injuries he will never over take Roddick, he is not the same player and he won't win another slam unless he makes a miraculous recovery. Roddick would have surely have more than one slam if he wasn't facing Fed at his peak constantly - he was a good enough player to win Wimbledon or US Open.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Roddick is the only player to have beaten Djokovic 4 times in a row on outdoor hard court. Did you know that?

---

In answer to OP, Roddick. But Del Potro had more potential (sans injuries).
I remember that.That was in 2010 when Djokovic was serving like a little girlm,was sick and the worst tennis of his career

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
I remember that.That was in 2010 when Djokovic was serving like a little girlm,was sick and the worst tennis of his career
Actually it was over the course of two years ('09 Australian Open - '10 Cincinnati), in the same time period he (Djokovic) managed to score three wins over Nadal and three wins over Federer.

·
Registered
10,504 Posts
Injuries or not, Roddick is the better player. People tend to forget how explosive a player he was back in the day before he started pushing from the baseline to conform to contemporary tennis.

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
Roddick is more accomplished as of nowbut if it wasn't for injuries maybe Delpo would have already overthrown him

1 - 20 of 106 Posts