Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who is the better player?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
There must be at least 5 threads on the topic.

Hewitt's actually more accomplished due to longer time as No1. Safin has more impressive slam runs though. I'd pick his career without a second thought.

·
Registered
347 Posts
They are different players, each one can bring different things to the table when he is in top form. Safin edges Hewitt in power, while Hewitt was mentally stronger. Both are great from the back of the court, strong service game, great returns etc. I think Hewitt is a little better because he was more consistent.

Both great players.

·
Registered
347 Posts
There must be at least 5 threads on the topic.

Hewitt's actually more accomplished due to longer time as No1. Safin has more impressive slam runs though. I'd pick his career without a second thought.
What is more impressive about Safin's slam runs? Hewitt's run at AO 05 is one of the greatest in history, comparable to Jimmy Connors at USO 91.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
both roasted Sampras and the US Open :lick:. Safin had greater potential but Hewitt was the better player

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
What is more impressive about Safin's slam runs? Hewitt's run at AO 05 is one of the greatest in history, comparable to Jimmy Connors at USO 91.
Huh? Hewitt lost to Safin in AO 05 and it was Safin who beat Federer. How on earth can AO 05 work in Hewitt's favor?

·
Registered
21,231 Posts
Safin's 2004 Australian Open is better than Hewitt's 2005 run.

·
Registered
21,231 Posts
both roasted Sampras and the US Open :lick:. Safin had greater potential but Hewitt was the better player
Considering Safin's injuries during his prime and his wayward mentality at times, how on earth did he achieve a comparable career to Hewitt if he wasn't the better player? (Considering Hewitt's evident burning desire for tennis)

·
Registered
9,845 Posts
Hewitt was never a player and will be quickly forgotten once he's gone......which is why he's hanging around like a bad smell. Same will happen to Nadal when it finally retires.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
No doubt about it, Safin is a better player (except on grass).

A better question would be is Safin better than the likes of Nalbandian, Davydenko, Soderling or even Haas.

·
Banned
5,616 Posts
I'd take Lleyton's career easily.
Hewitt has much better mentality. Just look how they deal with their injuries. Says it all.

·
The Last Mohican
24,521 Posts
This message is hidden because bouncer7 is on your ignore list.

:bigwave:
Beautiful words. Almost as good as:

This message is hidden because MarkChan is on your ignore list. Because it means you are dodging the highest level of stupidity reached by mankind.

As for the topic at hand, both are giants of the game - with Safin's peak easily outdoing Hewitt but more volatile etc...

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I'd take Lleyton's career easily.
Hewitt has much better mentality. Just look how they deal with their injuries. Says it all.
Can't argue with that but thread title is who is the better player not who made the most out of his body/abilities.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts