its novak easily

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Peak Fed

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Federer's FO should be discounted, he'd never have beaten Nadal otherwise. At least Nole is trying to get one genuinely, without vulturing to it like Fed in RG 09.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Fed beat "peak" Nole at RG in 2011. Safe to say that Fed's clay peak is better than Nole's if Nole couldn't beat "post-peak" Fed.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
See here's the problem, just because it was Nole's peak year doesn't mean he played at his peak in this match. Similarly, just because it wasn't Federer's peak year doesn't mean he didn't play at his peak during this match.

Additionally, deciding a player is better based solely on their individual head to head is something that has been discussed and derided ad nauseam on this forum.

I'm not saying your conclusion is wrong necessarily, just that the process is too limited.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Federer...

I mean c'mon now... he beat Novak in 2011 which by far was Novak's bests year, his very peak. It was the one and only year where I thought he would possible beat Nadal at the French but Roger spoiled the fun.

Many people who claim Djoko to be better than Fed do it SOLELY based on the fact that Djoko gives Nadal a bigger fight. But you really have to factor in matchups when it comes to tennis. Djoko really does not have a matchup disadvantage vs Nadal the way Federer does.

Even against the field, Federer lost to NOBODY apart from Nadal on clay at the French. So please people who think Novak is better stop doing it based on matchups between the 3 and look at it more objectively. Federer is absolutely underrated on clay by people who started watching tennis after 2010.

·
Registered
21,283 Posts
Federer's FO should be discounted, he'd never have beaten Nadal otherwise. At least Nole is trying to get one genuinely, without vulturing to it like Fed in RG 09.
Of course, lets also discount all of his other slams too, apart from Wimby 2006 and 2007 because those were the only time he won a slam by beating Nadal.

Edit: Oh Wait, Wimby 2006 should also be discounted, because Nadal played very little matches on grass. Clearly wasn't used to the surface yet, and yet still Fed needed 4 sets to beat Nadal lol. So yeah, Federer only has 1 slam title that really counts. Wimby 2007

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
It doesn't matter. Both are embarassing

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Additionally, I know its off topic but I want to see some more threads being created about how tough mentally Djokovic is...

The same guy who lost 2 slam finals to Murray and now 4 in a row to Nadal. His record outside of Australia is as bad as Murray. And people give Murray shit for being mentally weak.

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts
So you think Djokovic would not have tried to beat Murray if it was him that emerged as his opponent in the final? "No, screw it, a victory over anyone else doesn't count. I'll try again next year and hope Nadal makes it to the final then."

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
Novak. But as to who is a bigger mug when playing Dull, that's a tough one.
Well, 9-2 or 9-3 , not that much difference...

·
Super Moderator
8,222 Posts
Sooo different systems and plays, that´s a stupid comparation. What do you prefer: Cheese or having sex?

As I look the awesomeness of their tennis I definitely consider that Fed play(s/ed) on clay more beautiful. If he has been a bit less nervous against Nadal he would have won at least one RG-final. But Novak has still the almost perfect match-up against Nadal, he often can´t access this because of mental feebleness.

·
Registered
176 Posts
IMO Fed is hugely underrated on clay, it was just Nadal on clay is the worst matchup for fed of all time, like pull out every player in the history of the game and every surface ever played on and Nadal on clay is the worst matchup for him...

I think Nole *Should* be better... But he's mentally not there, Nole should have 2 RG titles by now and he has the clay masters set... But instead Fed is the one with RG and Nole without it... Add in the fact that Peak fed beats peak Nole on clay IMO, beats him everywhere I'd say except maybe plexi

So short answer - Nole is younger and has a game more suited to clay - better defence, better flexibility, but ATM fed is greater due to his RG title and 5 RG finals.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts