Votes: 11 20.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sampras best result at Rg was Sf an his biggest title on clay is Rome. Murray also has made the Sf of Rg an has not won a clay title. but he has age on his side.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Andy by far. not even a question
Sampras won 3 titles on clay including a Masters, he also has one more RG QF than Murray currently does. He's definitely the more accomplished player on the surface as it stands today.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Sampras won 3 titles on clay including a Masters, he also has one more RG QF than Murray currently does. He's definitely the more accomplished player on the surface as it stands today.
that would be relevant in a "who is the more accomplished on clay player" thread.

Doesn't matter for this one though.

·
Banned
12,122 Posts
owned

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Damn it, I knew I shouldn't have attempted to debate latso. :sad:

·
Banned
12,122 Posts
:d

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I believe still Pete can defeat Murray at 42 on clay.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
It's as ridiculous as Jonathan Morgan winning game.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I never quite understood why Murray is no good on clay... The man has very good defence and is generally very good at holding the ball in play. These are the 2 most important feats for a clay courter, other than that it's just a matter of knowing how to finish a point here and there and you're golden.

Between the 2 it's no competition, Murray is the better clay courter by far, but why he isn't one of the best out there is beyond me...

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
Sampras dominated Becker in his 1994 Rome win, and Becker wasn't a bad clay courter in his own right, reaching 3 RG semis.

Sampras also beat Bruguera and Courier in 5 sets, among the best clay courters in the 90s, and even beat Kafelnikov in a deciding DC rubber. Murray still has yet to beat any good clay courter in his era.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Judging buy their styles of play ofcourse Murray's game is much more suited for clay. But his results are pretty bad.

On the other hand Sampras had a classic grass court game but still has better results than Andy on clay.

So Sampras for me atleast for now.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Sampras dominated Becker in his 1994 Rome win, and Becker wasn't a bad clay courter in his own right, reaching 3 RG semis.

Sampras also beat Bruguera and Courier in 5 sets, among the best clay courters in the 90s, and even beat Kafelnikov in a deciding DC rubber. Murray still has yet to beat any good clay courter in his era.
Pretty much this. But to Murray's credit, the "good claycourters" of this era are very few and unbelievably good.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
I believe still Pete can defeat Murray at 42 on clay.
Pretty much this. Age doesn't matter, be it Sampras playing Murphy or Uncle Latso playing Groove.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I never quite understood why Murray is no good on clay... The man has very good defence and is generally very good at holding the ball in play. These are the 2 most important feats for a clay courter, other than that it's just a matter of knowing how to finish a point here and there and you're golden.

Between the 2 it's no competition, Murray is the better clay courter by far, but why he isn't one of the best out there is beyond me...
He has no power. He can't counter-punch on clay. As fast as he is he'll still be blasted off the court because he feeds his opponents with easy balls.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts

It's the amount of spin in his shots. It's lacking. His shots have no weight.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
Sampras

Murray 2011 would beat Pete on clay though

1 - 20 of 25 Posts