Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who is the best non big 4 player of the 21st century?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One could easily make the argument certain players in this poll are better than Murray but as MTF is so "big four" centric I wanted to create a discussion that doesn't involve them directly.

For those wondering where players like Sampras and Agassi are, this question is about players with careers that have MOSTLY taken place from 2000 onwards. Their first matches are allowed to have been before 2000, as long as most of their career takes place post 2000.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
The stats say Wawrinka
No they don't.
Safin and Hewitt have more slams and more masters and the number 1 ranking. Nalbandian, Tsonga, Davydenko have more masters and a longer time at the top. Roddick has the same on slams, more masters, more time at the top and number 1.

If anything Wawrinka is one of the weakest statistically.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wawrinka in the poll. :lol:
I don't think he's the best but MTF consistently showers him with praise and overrates him so I wanted to see how many votes he would get.

·
The special one
14,696 Posts
In terms of achievments Hewitt, del potro is the best player though and would have possibly had a better career than murray had he not been so injury prone.

·
Registered
298 Posts

Roddick but "the gap is closing"

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
In terms of achievments Hewitt, del potro is the best player though and would have possibly had a better career than murray had he not been so injury prone.
This. In a perfect world, the answer to this would be del Potro or Safin, but Hewitt has achieved the most.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
It's difficult as most of the players on the list benefited from there not being a top four.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
i believe Nalbadian was a huge underachiever but only because i regard him as the best ball striker (including the big 4) i voted for him.

·
Registered
645 Posts
id like to say DelPotro, but cant overlook what Hewitt have achieved, so i voted Hewitt

·
Registered
17,914 Posts
Peak level: Nalbandian, achievement wise: Hewitt (has 2 YEC, though Safin has also 2 slams and more Masters).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Guess who?
GS seedings

Top4 seed- 13 times...

2003 9th 6th 5th 4th
2004 1st 2nd 2nd 2nd
2005 2nd 2nd 2nd 4th
2006 2nd 5th 3rd 9th
2007 6th 3rd 3rd 5th
2008 6th Did Not Play 6th 8th
2009 7th 6th 6th 5th
2010 7th 6th 5th 9th
2011 8th Did Not Play 8th 21st

·
Registered
8,230 Posts
Knew there would be clowns saying Wawrinka :lol: I just don't get the hype at all. No better than Tsonga, Berdych, Ferrer etc. he just got very lucky in 2014.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Knew there would be clowns saying Wawrinka :lol: I just don't get the hype at all. No better than Tsonga, Berdych, Ferrer etc. he just got very lucky in 2014.
Spot on. :yeah:
If those three players had an injured opponent during their Slam final, they would have won too...

Wawrinka is a top player since 2013 only, he's been relevant for 8 Slams at most.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts