Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who is the best COMPETITOR in mens tennis today?

• Roger Federer

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • Rafael Nadal

Votes: 34 38.2%
  • Novak Djokovic

Votes: 10 11.2%
  • Andy Murray

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leyton Hewitt

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • Davis Nalbandian

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • David Ferrer

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nikolay Davydenko

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Andy Roddick

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 8 9.0%
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, what do you all think?

·
Ace Loveforty
83,415 Posts
Re: Who is the best COMPETITIOR in mens tennis

Puerta

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
762 Posts
The answer is easy: the one who's the most succesful player.
Unless you offer me your definition of 'competitor'

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The answer is easy: the one who's the most succesful player.
Unless you offer me your definition of 'competitor'
To me the BEST COMPETITOR is the one who NEVER GIVES UP, even when he's down 2-0 sets down, and finds a way to win when things get tough (i.e when their natural talent is not there on the day and they are forced to compete).

In other words, the best competitor is NOT THE ONE THAT PLAYS MAGNIFICENT GAME AND BEATS EVERY OPPONENT EASILY. That just means that he's much better tennis player than the opponent. But when someone is having a bad day, is down, BUT STILL finds a way to win, now that's a good competitor.

·
♥ eve ♥
40,985 Posts
To me the BEST COMPETITOR is the one who NEVER GIVES UP, even when he's down 2-0 sets down, and finds a way to win when things get tough (i.e when their natural talent is not there on the day and they are forced to compete).

In other words, the best competitor is NOT THE ONE THAT PLAYS MAGNIFICENT GAME AND BEATS EVERY OPPONENT EASILY. That just means that he's much better tennis player than the opponent. But when someone is having a bad day, is down, BUT STILL finds a way to win, now that's a good competitor.
Why include Federer in the poll then? :confused: he wins 99% of his matches because his opponents bend over him instead of fighting :shrug:

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Personally I voted for Nadal. Federer is no doubt the better player, but when he's down he tightens up, starts producing a lot UE, and often loses very tight matches. Now I know he won 12 slams, but in all slams I think he was forced to play only 2 tight 5 set matches (and he lost on and won one). Up until now in slams Federer was just SO MUCH better than the opposition...he rarely had to truly compete.

Consider the following scenarios:

a.) It's Wimbledon final, Federer is 2-0 sets down.

b.) It's French Open final and Nadal is 2-0 sets down.

Which of the two is more likely to have a comeback??

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why include Federer in the poll then? :confused: he wins 99% of his matches because his opponents bend over him instead of fighting :shrug:
I agree with you. I don't think he's the best competitor. 99% of the time like you said his opponents bend over and he easily wins. BUT 1% of the time when opponents give him REAL test he tightens up and quite often loses the match. I just wanted to know what everyone else thinks.

·
♥ eve ♥
40,985 Posts
Up until now in slams Federer was just SO MUCH better than the opposition...he rarely had to truly compete.
:rolleyes: you cannot be serious... How can someone dominate an international sport the way Fed does without truly competing? :confused:

If he wasn't a true competitor he would still be a slamless wasted talent with temper issues...

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I think Wimbledon 07 final pretty much proved that Federer is a great competitor. I think it's nearly impossible to name the best competitor. It could be Nadal, it could be Capdeville or it could be some guy playing challengers whom most of us have never heard of. The best competitor could be someone ranked 677 who is not that talented but delivers when he has a chance.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
:rolleyes: you cannot be serious... How can someone dominate an international sport the way Fed does without truly competing? :confused:

If he wasn't a true competitor he would still be a slamless wasted talent with temper issues...
By truly competing I mean he almost never had to fight back and win WHEN THE OPPONENT WAS DOMINATING THE MATCH. Of course Federer competes, he does it all the time. He saves game points, set points...HE DOES NOT LET YOU GET AHEAD OF HIM. That's cempeting too...DEFINITELY. More often than not he controls the match. 99% of the time he is just superior to everyone else. But look at what happents when someone gives him true resistance...lost to canas twice, lost to djokovic, lost to nadal quite a few times, lost to nalbandian quite a few times. And every time someone GETS AHEAD OF HIM he starts producing UE and loses the match. I wonder if federer would be federer is there was more than 1 player (Nadal) who can consistently give him run for the money.

·
♥ eve ♥
40,985 Posts
By truly competing I mean he never had to fight back and win WHEN THE OPPONENT WAS DOMINATING THE MATCH. Of course Federer competes, he does it all the time. He saves game points, set points...HE DOES NOT LET YOU GET AHEAD OF HIM. That's cempeting too...DEFINITELY. More often than not he controls the match. 99% of the time he is just superior to everyone else. But look at what happents when someone gives him true resistance...lost to canas twice, lost to djokovic, lost to nadal quite a few times, lost to nalbandian quite a few times. And every times someone GETS AHEAD OF HIM he starts producing UE and loses the match. I wonder if federer would be federer is there was more than 1 player (Nadal) who can consistently give him run for the money.
:rolleyes:

How about Nadal on clay? How many times did the field give him a run for his money since 2005?

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:rolleyes:

How about Nadal on clay? How many times did the field give him a run for his money since 2005?
That's my point exactly. Clay is his best surface so he almost NEVER has to play 5 set matches. But look how well he COMPETES at WIMBLEDON, which is not his favorite surface. He knows it's not his best surface...he was 2-0 against Youzhny and Soderling...and he found a way to win. He never gives up no matter what surface he's playing. Now many would say clay is not federer's best surface, which it is not, but you have to remember that federer IS EXCELLENT clay court player, and if not for nadal he would be dominating clay court season too.

Nadal is not the best on grass (even without federer), but he finds a way to win and never gives up. That's why he was in the finals 2 years running. And in the final he gave federer run for the money even though federer is THE BEST PLAYER ON GRASS.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
this came be easily directed to who came back from 0-2 in Grand slams 5 setters ..or who is got the best 5 setters record .
never quit attitude , or Never say die. I rate Hewitt high in th ranks 2-3 years ago . Nowadays can't name one from the top of my head

1 - 20 of 46 Posts