Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quite a few Asian players are doing well and rising in the rankings while Nishikori is absent. My pick is Kwon from Suth Korea. He has had wins over some quality players, most notably Milos Raonic. He won another match in the first round of Delray Beach. He has a good chance reaching the SF here and even further. I didn't know much about him until recently, but he reached back to back QFs in his last two tournaments. He's ranked barely inside the top 100 at the monent, but considering how well he's playing as of recent, he's likely to continue to improve his ranking. He posseses a good ground game coupled with a more than decent serve, especially considering his height. I predict he will break into the top 40 within a year or so.
Nishioka is also playing well. He had an unfortunate injury a couple of years ago, where he was beating Wawrinka and then got a serious injury, which kept him away from the tour for so long. Now he's rising again. I believe he will break into the top 50 again sometime soon. His biggest weapon is the movement. He's so quick around the court, running down so many balls and he can mix up his shots very well. As he himself says, he emulates Marcelo Rios' game. I see some resenblance between them, though Rios was much better. Nishioka is a hard-working man and plays very steady and always gives 100% regardless of who he's up against or no matter how far behind he is in a match. I like his attitude and considering his height, about 170cm, it's already a miracle that he has beaten a few top 10 players and won one tour title.
Who do you think is the second best Asian player? Discuss with passion!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
If Nishioka had an extra 3-4 inches of height he'd give Nishikori a run for his money I suspect.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
I assume you're talking about level when healthy, since Nishikori is currently injured. In that case, my pick would be Hyeon Chung, he's played top 50 level tennis whenever he's been healthy for a lengthy period since 2017, and he surely has the second best peak level with the AO SF.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
If you go historically and pick double players, then Leander Paes would be the greatest I guess, but pciking doubles players is not really fair.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I actually have no idea how Chung is doing now in regards to fitness/injuries. Hopefully he's able to play a relatively full schedule in 2020.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Kukushkin should be in the conversation as well. 1 title and 3 finals

·
Registered
130 Posts
I thought about him because he has 1 title (or 2 cannot be bothered to check), but he never did anything in slams unlike Hyeon Chung.
Beat Novak in Australian Open once, but thats about it.. couple 4th rounds.
Paradorn Srichaphan was good in the past, at the moment it must be Nishioka. And that is a bit sad.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts