Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who loses out the most?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
11,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Option 1 - Nadal.....
Injury free for IW and Miami off the back of a easy title in Acapulco and Missing clay masters, more possible masters could have been added.

Option 2 - Thiem....
Did not get to defend any points from IW and will miss his fav clay swing.

Option 3 - Gulbis....
He was starting to re focus and build some momentum.

Option 4 - Sock....
It will be real hard to start up again after having to wait so long. He needed his time of defending nothing to jump him back up the rankings and was prob going to get some american wildcards during IW/Miami

Option 5 - Monfils/Rublev...
Is there anything to say they would not have continued to rack up the wins??

Option 6 - Garin...
This was looking like his time to really impress on the clay masters swing.

Option 7 - Djokovic...
He could have notched his best ever season

Reactions: OverallForm

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
At present the biggest loser is probably Djokovic. If RG is cancelled, then Nadal/Djokovic. Isner is right up there too.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Honestly I think it’s Nadal. Call me biased but I feel like if he had his normal clay season and went onto win # 20 it puts him into a really nice position come Wimbledon and US. He’d be so excited to be that close to overtaking Federer he’d probably be super motivated and maybe snag another Wimbledon or Us. But now he risks having Djokovic even catch up to him before RG is even played. Not to mention since there will be no clay masters yet still maybe 2/3 on hard at the end of the year it’s not likely that Nadal will have a chance to gain points for #1/ ye#1.

In saying that Djokovic is probably next on the list seeing as he is losing some serious time at #1.

Federer is loving it

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
ATG Novak Djokovic by houndreds of miles.

Would not wonder if they rob him the Year End No. 1 trophy as well which he deserves to have at least six of these.

Reactions: EkVraNaamEnVan

·
Registered
7,066 Posts
Djokovic on a winning streak – losing #1 weeks, probably another Master, we still have to see about Wimbledon, but judging by the way UK is handling this virus crisis, it will be canceled for sure.

·
Registered
10,210 Posts
Sock in the poll :spit: :ROFLMAO:

To hell with this corona and everything. We are all losers in this sad times :sick:
Who saw this coming even a month ago? I was more worried about USA-Iran conflict...

Reactions: RocketMan70

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
We are all losers in this sad times :sick:

Not necessarily. Sometimes crises make it a lot easier to focus on what's really important. In fact, ironically enough, tough times can often make people happier. How? Because they tend to become more grateful for what they do have. For instance, if you make a lot of money, you may be angry and complaining because you missed out on a $10,000 raise that you were expecting to get. On the other hand, if you see people losing their jobs right and left, you may be thrilled that you actually still have a job. So, when you deal with bigger things, you tend not to sweat the small stuff the way you did before.

As one author puts it, facing tough life challenges can jolt us into "a new level of awareness."

Djokovic is leading the poll here, but maybe he'll find much more time to spend with his family, who may end up doing things like actually having dinner together at the kitchen table. Same with many of the other guys.

Although losing weeks at #1 may seem like a big deal now, maybe he (along with other players) will look back later on and actually see this extended break from tennis as a blessing in disguise.

·
Your visions will happen
50,104 Posts
Tony Wilding was 30 years old, #1, and in his prime when WW1 started. Sadly he was killed in action in the French Theatre in 1915

Don Budge was 26 years old, #1, and in his prime when WW2 started. Injured his shoulder during an obstacle course jumping onto a rope to swing over a ravine, lost #1 to Bobby Riggs in late 1945 exhibitions and was never the same after the war

Novak Djokovic at 32 years old, #1, and in his prime when coronavirus started. We will see what happens, but the history does not look good for a player who was #1 going into an enforced break due to some global disturbance. Of course we are in very very different times. But depending on how long the tour is suspended, I feel it will be very difficult for any of the top 3 to attain the dominance they once had. Each day is one day older and one day closer to the prime for the younger guys. If we lose all 3 remaining slams this year, I mean, I cannot even think of how I would feel in that scenario

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
Those who were in-form:
1. Djoko had the momentum (undefeated this year) and a chance to win more tournaments and get closer to Fed's weeks at #1 record.
2. Nadal also: he was injury free, won Acapulco and had a chance for a good spring (and possibly great clay season) and for more weeks at #1.
3. Thiem: the guy was poised for a very good clay season and also would've good chances at IW.
These three guys are biggest losers due to the virus. If the hiatus prolongs (cancelling slams) then Djokodal would be biggest losers by far with their quests for history stopped. But hopefully this shit won't spoil the slam race party (not that my hopes are high :cautious:).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts