Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I see from the ATP/WTA live scores app that there was a doubles final today at Kitzbuhel (presumably an exhibition of some sort or fun match) between Philipp Oswald/Jakob Zangerl and Max Mirnyi/Sarah Messenlechner. Who are Jakob and Sarah and is Sarah a man's name in German speaking countries? If not, why were there three men and a woman playing doubles, even in a exhibition/fun match?

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
I see from the ATP/WTA live scores app that there was a doubles final today at Kitzbuhel (presumably an exhibition of some sort or fun match) between Philipp Oswald/Jakob Zangerl and Max Mirnyi/Sarah Messenlechner. Who are Jakob and Sarah and is Sarah a man's name in German speaking countries? If not, why were there three men and a woman playing doubles, even in a exhibition/fun match?
I found this: https://www.coretennis.net/tennis-player/sarah-messenlechner/137084/profile.html I would say she was playing there because she is Austrian. Probably considered an up and coming Austrian female tennis player which they need.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
It seems strange to have a doubles match featuring 3 men and a woman though.
It wasn't a "real" match so it didn't really matter who played in it. She is way too young to be called a woman. The Austrians are happy to have a girl who they think is an up and coming female tennis player so I'm sure that is why she was in the match.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It wasn't a "real" match so it didn't really matter who played in it. She is way too young to be called a woman. The Austrians are happy to have a girl who they think is an up and coming female tennis player so I'm sure that is why she was in the match.
Sorry, I hadn't clicked on your link when I posted that so didn't see she is a junior. Obviously it was a bit of fun, like a legends match.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The official schedule on the app said "Kids Alps Challenge, M. Mirnyi P. Oswald & the Kids", so I guess that was just some messing around on their 3rd biggest court, not even a half-serious exhibition.
Probably similar to any other kids day on the tour, where some pros hit balls with kids, only here they wrapped it up with a quick match tiebreak with 2 very young prodigies, so their gender hardly matters. I don't understand the interest in this here..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts