Where is a poll. We need the poll.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
*waiting for Mark Lenders response*

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,681 Posts
Ferrer has traditionally been thought of as the 'gatekeeper' of men's tennis. He consistently has a positive or even H2H over every player not named Federer, Djokovic, Nadal or Murray, but tends to lose to them more often than not. Exceptions to this rule are Nishikori, Monfils and Youzhny. Of these, Nishikori is the only one to have played Ferrer at least 4 times and lead the H2H. Ferrer is a consistent grinder but he doesn't quite have the same weapons Nishikori possesses (especially on BH), except for a better 1st serve return.

So I can say safely yes, Nishikori is more talented. Ferrer has never beaten Federer, while Nishikori has twice. Ferrer has never beaten Djokovic at a GS, while Nishikori has once. And in all their matches, while close, Nishikori always records at least twice the number of winners (except Acapulco, where he was recovering from a cold coming into the tournament). And at the same age (24), Nishikori has made a Masters final and slam final, the latter of which Ferrer only did at 31 in RG2013 (with great help from the draw). Ferrer first made top 5 in 2007 (similar timeframe) but that was before you had the 'big 4' stronghold on the rankings. Based on Nishikori still having a good 8 years on Ferrer, I expect Nishikori to bypass Ferrer's achievements in time.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Ferrer has traditionally been thought of as the 'gatekeeper' of men's tennis. He consistently has a positive or even H2H over every player not named Federer, Djokovic, Nadal or Murray, but tends to lose to them more often than not. Exceptions to this rule are Nishikori, Monfils and Youzhny. Of these, Nishikori is the only one to have played Ferrer at least 4 times and lead the H2H. Ferrer is a consistent grinder but he doesn't quite have the same weapons Nishikori possesses (especially on BH), except for a better 1st serve return.

So I can say safely yes, Nishikori is more talented. Ferrer has never beaten Federer, while Nishikori has twice. Ferrer has never beaten Djokovic at a GS, while Nishikori has once. And in all their matches, while close, Nishikori always records at least twice the number of winners (except Acapulco, where he was recovering from a cold coming into the tournament). And at the same age (24), Nishikori has made a Masters final and slam final, the latter of which Ferrer only did at 31 in RG2013 (with great help from the draw). Ferrer first made top 5 in 2007 (similar timeframe) but that was before you had the 'big 4' stronghold on the rankings. Based on Nishikori still having a good 8 years on Ferrer, I expect Nishikori to bypass Ferrer's achievements in time.
even though i agree with you, the same can be said about ferrer who has beaten nadal and murray at GS and nishikori no

·
Registered
13,800 Posts

8 years? you really think kei will last until he's 34 at the top level? or that he'll even play that long

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,681 Posts
even though i agree with you, the same can be said about ferrer who has beaten nadal and murray at GS and nishikori no
Well if we agree Federer is the most talented of this era, Ferrer has not beaten Federer once in 16 meetings.
Also Nadal was no hard court king early on, and in their later AO meeting Nadal was injured, otherwise possibly could have attempted 4 in a row (RG 2010 till AO2010). Ferrer's Master in Paris had the draw really break down for him (Llodra and Janowicz!)

8 years? you really think kei will last until he's 34 at the top level? or that he'll even play that long
he doesn't need to last 8 years. But I hope he will play as long as he can, but he can do quite a bit of damage if he keeps fit over this period.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Ferrer has no talent.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts