Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Well, as a non Brit I would say Murray, but I do realise Golf is very popular in the UK so might be Rory...

·
Registered
33,355 Posts
Murray, golf is for goofs. Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbour the accountant, probably a great golfer, huge ass..

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
But not the ugly messes. Murray is a prime example, most people in the UK hate him.
No they don't. Not after Olympic Gold and winning Wimby - the casual tennis watchers who hadn't liked him before started to get to know what he was really like. Those of us who have followed him since he was a junior always liked him.

Murray by far: tennis translates to tv much better than golf does.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I'd say they are both household names, but Murray is currently the more famous by a clear margin.

Rory's profile is going to increase after today's win, and he's got a great chance of winning Sports Personality of the Year, which is what non-sports fans see at the pinnacle of British sport. And he's on that awful Santander advert. :D

There are a lot more top British/Irish golfers, and there hasn't been a huge wait for a winner, so he's had a lot less pressure and individual attention.

Golf is popular in the UK, but the perception of it is regional. In some parts of England, it's seen as a posh sport, but in other areas and across Scotland, it's very accessible. It's more likely that your plumber is a member of the golf club than your doctor.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
I'm British and Murray is far more famous here than McIlroy. As others have said, Olympic gold and the Wimbledon title raised Murray's popularity immeasurably in Britain but Murray also puts himself out there far more than McIlroy. Simon Fuller has made him lighten up and gotten him some good gigs like those Comic Relief sketches which helped cement his appeal beyond just tennis.

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
Murray by far. Infact possibly only Beckham is more famous than Murray in the UK when it comes to sporting figures and even then it's close. Wimbledon is the biggest annual sporting event the UK holds and one of the most iconic world wide. Winning that alone puts Murray above mcIlroy. Winning the British open will raise McIlroy's profile but it won't come close to Murray's Wimbledon win.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts