Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who is More enjoyable to watch?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
When Harrison isn't flipping out, Harrison by a mile. He's really kept his composure for the most part today.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
tomic is a junkballer devoid of any power but at least he understands the game. "a poor man's murray" is an apt description and like murray, he'll soon find out how hard it is to win majors without any weapons.

harrison is a strong kid with great athleticism but he has a roddick-like ground game :eek: and with no serve to save him. hopefully we'll see some dramatic changes this year with his new coach.

the good thing is they both have time on their side.

Reactions: nadejda

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
tomic is a junkballer devoid of any power but at least he understands the game. "a poor man's murray" is an apt description and like murray, he'll soon find out how hard it is to win majors without any weapons.

harrison is a strong kid with great athleticism but he has a roddick-like ground game :eek: but with no serve to rescue him. hopefully we'll see some dramatic changes this year with his new coach.

the good thing is they both have time on their side.
No one without a serve and a Roddick-like ground game has ever broken the top hundred. Harrison has real ability off the ground.

·
Banned
5,508 Posts
harrison is a strong kid with great athleticism but he has a roddick-like ground game :eek: and with no serve to save him. hopefully we'll see some dramatic changes this year with his new coach.
You are another livescore hero. Actually his serve is the best part of his game. Epic fail.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
You are another livescore hero. Actually his serve is the best part of his game. Epic fail.
THIS! Only he just goes too much for it in the 2nd serve, but his serve, in general, is a huge weapon for him.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
This too. He was tricking Murray even on the second serve for the first set, and whatever else you can say about Muzzah, he's a pretty great returner.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
No one without a serve and a Roddick-like ground game has ever broken the top hundred. Harrison has real ability off the ground.
it's not about his ranking, it's about his game. harrison mixed things up nicely in the first set but then resorted to his usual 6 ft behind the baseline retrieving tactics. murray had him on a string for most of the match because ryan is simply unable to hit a backhand ON THE RISE ( and he always retreats 1-3 feet after every backhand). hell, i couldn't even see him on the bottom of my tv screen he was camped back so far during many of the rallies.

·
Registered
12,577 Posts
it's not about his ranking, it's about his game. harrison mixed things up nicely in the first set but then resorted to his usual 6 ft behind the baseline retrieving tactics. murray had him on a string for most of the match because ryan is simply unable to hit a backhand ON THE RISE ( and he always retreats 1-3 feet after every backhand). hell, i couldn't even see him on the bottom of my tv screen he was camped back so far during many of the rallies.
Right. At this point he doesn't have the confidence to stand on the baseline and hit out on his backhand. It's too inconsistent.
And I agree with you on his serve. Second serve is great but first is way too hit or miss.

·
Banned
5,508 Posts
...well. Murray was smart and kept him far off the baseline when he could. It was a good tactic because Harrison is fast and can rush up to the net any time. Andy kept slicing dtl and it was good vs an unexperienced guy like Ryan. Ryan would prefer to play on the baseline in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
you totally misunderstood my point. roddick has a weak ground game but has a massive serve that can bail him out. are you suggesting harrison's serve is dick-like and can bail him out of 0-40, 15-40 deficits?....please explain.

p.s. i watched the entire match from start to finish

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ya Harrison needs to quit the terrible habit of backing up when hitting a backhand. The backhand usually ends up having no power, better to just step in and go for it on the rise.

I actually enjoy Tomic's game more, it is much less generic and has some originality in today's game. Unlike Murray, I think he goes for his forehand more, and when he is fully developed, I'd say his forehand will be better than Murray's. It is extremely unique and can generate easy flat power.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
When Harrison's on he's way more entertaining. He takes the game on while Tomic tends to play defensively, waiting for his opponent to make a mistake. The latter may work against a choking Verdasco, but if he wants to beat the elites he's gotta mix it up a bit.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Harrison's game is more exciting. Aggressive play at times, mixing it up, variation on the forehand but too had his backhand is a liability at times. Tomic is just a bore-fest compared to Harrison....push, push, push,.....slice, slice, slice, :zzz:. If people ask me to watch an unorthodox player, I'd say look up Dolgopolov.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts