Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who is more difficult QF opponent for nadal?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two of ATPs most promising young guns(?)landed in Nadal's quarter. Since Nadal has passed early round test he will more likely to reach QF at least. So they need to defeat Nadal if they want to go further.

I saw majority of people here choosing Raonic over Nishikori as tough matchup for Nadal since he has great serve, improved ground game, and good touch at net. but Nishikori can also challenge Nadal IMO since he has amazing intensity, nice foot work and very rare shot making skills.
Only problem is his fitness, if he avoids long rushing 4R match with Raonic, it's possible he will be fit for QF clash with Nadal.

Though there are few chances these guys beating in form Nadal but one great fight against Top player will be helpful for further achievements which will obviously coming through "Big 4" demolition, late but sure.

So who's tough opponent for Nadal? What do you think? Thoughts from Nadal fans base will be appreciated since they knows Nadal's game technically better than others theoretically.

IMO Raonoic stands no chance beating Nadal here, he can fight well but Nishikori can do real damage, at least he's capable of doing.

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
One game at a time. Let Rafa beat Kukushkin first and then his 4R opponent before we go into the quarterfinals.....

But if the situation you refer to were to pan out, I'd say Raonic would be a tougher as we all know Rafa is vulnerable to big servers......

But I'm still pretty confident that he gets through..... :D

Anyway after he defeated Rosol in this tournament I really should not ask much of Rafa, as he showed that he wouldn't have lost the last two years if not for a real injury to such ballbashers. No disrespect to Rosol or Darcis... :)

Peace.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Raonic has no "good touch" at the net. He is a lumbering long-legged big serving unit that can't move effectively on the surface. His whole Wimbledon run is (and will) solely be affected by his opponents own serve quality and ability to return as well as handle big points well. His kick serve doesn't matter on this surface and that makes him even more vulnerable than on clay.

Nishikori has a natural game for the surface and if playing well (as it seems he is atm) he is a danger to anyone except Murray and Djokovic who can tax him for his average serve.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
i think raonic would be tougher for rafa here

·
Registered
683 Posts
Nishikori because of how good a returner and mover he is. He'd be able to get into a lot of Nadal's service games.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
fastgrass I told you it was Raonic.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Raonic is useless on grass, and funnily enough his serve seems to go AWOL whenever he faces Dull. IIRC Botnic has never even managed to serve himself into a TB against Nadal :lol:.

·
Registered
10,407 Posts
Raonic is useless on grass, and funnily enough his serve seems to go AWOL whenever he faces Dull. IIRC Botnic has never even managed to serve himself into a TB against Nadal :lol:.
He took a set off him in Miami a few months ago. 6-4 I think.

He looks better on grass right now than he did a year ago. Unfortunately for him, so does Nadal. We'll see.

·
Delicious
3,558 Posts
Nishikori by far, but not by much. Kei has the utilities to trouble Nadal on any surface. Raonic is just a guy with a big serve and a not-so-friendly Canadian personality.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
I am not sure how anyone can say Raonic on Grass. Raonic will not threaten Nadal's serve on grass at all. There is no chance of that. Raonic's serve is pretty damn amazing on any surface. He already struggles with Nadal's serve on just about any surface and grass will only help Nadal's serve further.

Nishikori on the other hand can put pressure on Nadal's serve and his own weak serve may somewhat get a little help from the surface. I think Nishikori will definitely be a tougher opponent for Rafa... can he keep up in a best of 5 set though? Most likely not... the guy can barely keep up in best of 3. LOL

·
Tsonga,Djokovic
1,982 Posts
Both can give Nadal a hard time, but Nishikori is more difficult to handle if the Janpanese is healthy and solid.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Do we need a thread for this? Milos don´t know how to play Rafa, he often has low FS% and he is done on 2nd serves vs Rafa, also this being potentially QF - slower grass than now Rafa will be solid in rallies - and Milos won´t win much return either so Rafa would beat him, Nishikori can truble him and beat him why not, was bossing him on clay he can beat him but at slam level it´s tougher for him, his stamina - body are joke

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Nishikori is arguably the fastest-growing talent on the ATP right now, so he's far more dangerous IMO. Unfortunately for him, he's already 0-7 against Nadal, so he's quickly falling into the all-too-familiar Nadal mental block trap (see: Federer, Berdych, Djokovic in GS Finals these days). Now would be a good opportunity to break that streak for Kei, but I don't see it happening. Should they meet, I'd take Nadal in 4 tight sets with 3 tiebreaks.

Raonic is not very good on grass. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see him go out to Kubot. Unlike Kei, Raonic has never even come close to defeating Nadal, he's gotten thrashed every single time (Miami this year was less close than the scoreline would suggest, Nadal was very poor in that match). Raonic's serve always seems to desert him against Nadal for some bizarre reason as well.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Huge fan of both ... the Milos Nishikori hybrid could indeed cause an upset here with Milos playing the service games and Kei playing the return games.

What? That's not allowed? Ok, forget it ... Nadal after 4 grass matches isn't going to be troubled by either in B05.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts