Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
i'm counting on the hotel people to tell me how to get there. i have a licence to look dumb. :p

that's great, as the first tournament of the year (even earlier than doha and chennai, officially) players arrive early and more relaxed. hope you'll have some luck spotting stars, kat!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
After the trip to the centre yesterday I have to say it's actually a bit smaller than I had thought. They probably concentrated on building a greater number of courts, rather than create more room for people to move around. I'm not sure what the official "measurements" are, but size-wise, it's nothing compared to Sydney, and even Adelaide. If anyone plans to get practice photos you'll be disappointed because there's no space for spectators in between most of the practice courts, so you can only see them behind a fence!

Also, everything seems to be cramped, and on one side it's directly looking at a power station! They really should've made more space for what they're trying to build. The centre court itself is good, you can probably get a good view even from the back rows.

That aside I didn't stay long but saw Gasquet practicising with Stepanek on centre court, also Nieminen with Melzer outside. (Heaps more women were practicising, except for Hantchuhova and Safarova I didn't know who the rest of them were!)

·
Registered
606 Posts
yeah i was pretty disappointed with those things too when i went out there. and also the fact that the website made the two outside show courts sound like they were totaly under cover, but its just the court thats undercover, not the stands. and the stands arnt even real stands, they're temporary seats put up on the court next door!

also the brisbane river is pretty revolting to look at and i could even smell it from some parts of the tennis center so that wasnt great either.

i was pretty impressed with the center court though. i walked up to the back row and could still see fine and it wasnt really hot in there at all - it actually had a nice breeze. im heading out there tomorrow for the grand opening ceremony thing and then ill work out if ill hang around after i find out how hot it is. today was ridiculous!!!

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
:worship: thanks for the reports
After the trip to the centre yesterday I have to say it's actually a bit smaller than I had thought. They probably concentrated on building a greater number of courts, rather than create more room for people to move around. I'm not sure what the official "measurements" are, but size-wise, it's nothing compared to Sydney, and even Adelaide. If anyone plans to get practice photos you'll be disappointed because there's no space for spectators in between most of the practice courts, so you can only see them behind a fence!
:eek: :fiery:

well at least i won't probably complain about having to walk too much :rolleyes: nice arrangements for retirees from the coast :devil:

Also, everything seems to be cramped, and on one side it's directly looking at a power station! They really should've made more space for what they're trying to build. The centre court itself is good, you can probably get a good view even from the back rows.
that reminds me, it would be similar if they'd move the aus open to glebe island, new south wales, as suggested some time last year :devil:

yeah i was pretty disappointed with those things too when i went out there. and also the fact that the website made the two outside show courts sound like they were totaly under cover, but its just the court thats undercover, not the stands. and the stands arnt even real stands, they're temporary seats put up on the court next door!

also the brisbane river is pretty revolting to look at and i could even smell it from some parts of the tennis center so that wasnt great either.

i was pretty impressed with the center court though. i walked up to the back row and could still see fine and it wasnt really hot in there at all - it actually had a nice breeze. im heading out there tomorrow for the grand opening ceremony thing and then ill work out if ill hang around after i find out how hot it is. today was ridiculous!!!
:rolleyes: all these don't sound too appealing. stands aren't really stands? so much for the newest state-of-technology tennis centre. at least now i'm prepared mentally! lol i'll be there on saturday. but i heard the draw will be made in the city centre??

btw does any one know if there are internet cafes around south bank?

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
Can you guys get photos of Gulbis, please? :p would be ever so grateful.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
It's kind of annoying how the players get to play under shade covers, while we have to be fully exposed to the sun. There aren't a lot of seats at all on both show courts, only on one side. Hopefully it won't get filled up too quickly, but I get the feeling it will be. There are going to be far more people buying grounds passes than the number of total seats allocated considering its cheap price so there's the chance of people (like me) not being able to watch anything.

The centre court is very nice, though. It's not large at all, although it looks less impressive as soon as someone sits right in front blocking my view.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
I will probably go on Tuesday and Wednesday. Disappointing about all the stuff that has been mentioned although as long as I get to see the tennis I will be happy.

·
Registered
606 Posts

·
Registered
11,484 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
well at least i won't probably complain about having to walk too much :rolleyes: nice arrangements for retirees from the coast :devil:
Ohhh yes, for those who're sick of walking around in the sun, this is perfect! There is only really one side you need to concentrate on, and I'm sure there'll be heaps of kiddies standing around the front of the centre court (where the players come out etc) and that part is shaded! :worship:

:rolleyes: all these don't sound too appealing. stands aren't really stands? so much for the newest state-of-technology tennis centre. at least now i'm prepared mentally! lol i'll be there on saturday. but i heard the draw will be made in the city centre??
I agree with krystlel too here, there's going to be way too many ppl and the stands just won't fit them all. On the first few days if they put matches on the "other courts" (non-show courts, crt 14 & 16???) those courts don't even have seats! Kinda reminds me of Adelaide :lol:

Yeah the draw will be made tomorrow at noon at Queen St Mall. I was planning to go except I forgot that I was rostered on Saturday!

btw does any one know if there are internet cafes around south bank?
Can't remember any off the top of my head, southbank is really, two streets where there's activity and the rest is pretty quiet. There may be a computer at the convenience store??? but best bet is the CBD anyway....

·
Registered
606 Posts
not sure if anyone is interested, but the officials are being extremely helpful.

i got ridiculously sunburnt yesterday and was considering not going today. then i decided to ring them and ask if/when robin/magnus were practising today. they told me they'll be on court 5 at 11am and centre court at 6pm. how cool is that? now i know it will be worth going cos ill see them :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just decided to go tomorrow, does anyone know can I buy the ticket when I get there or have to buy before online? Thanks

·
Registered
11,484 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
those of you who are robin fans and who have seen the complex will be EXTREMELY PISSED OFF like i am right now.
tomorrow he is scheduled to play on court 10, which is one of those TERRIBLE PRACTICE courts that you can only see through a fence - YET QUALIFYING is happening on show courts 1 and 2 because they're AUSSIES. RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
those of you who are robin fans and who have seen the complex will be EXTREMELY PISSED OFF like i am right now.
tomorrow he is scheduled to play on court 10, which is one of those TERRIBLE PRACTICE courts that you can only see through a fence - YET QUALIFYING is happening on show courts 1 and 2 because they're AUSSIES. RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm not going tomorrow but I saw the schedule and was thinking the same thing. The Querrey-Soderling match looks like the most interesting match of the day in my opinion. If it was me, I'd schedule it where the Ginepri-Benneteau match is.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts