Mens Tennis Forums banner

who is going to be the biggest threat to federer during the next years?

• nadal

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • roddick

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • hewitt

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • safin

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • nalbandian

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • ancic

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • davydenko

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • coria

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • gasquet

Votes: 41 31.1%
  • others

Votes: 10 7.6%
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

· Registered
6,651 Posts
One by one..
Nadal is a slowcourter.. Federer is all-courter.. Even if Nadal earns 50% more points than Federer on slow courts ( that is RG, AO, 3 clay Masters + Miami ), Fed will still have plenty of room to compensate and will earn 200% more points in fast court part of the season, just like it happened this year..

Roddick.. If he has enough guts and goes back to a good coach like Gilbert, we can talk about it. Not now.

Hewitt.. Federer is better on every surface in every single component of the game. No discussion needed.

Safin.. We do not discuss a possibility of psychotherapeutic miracles here..

Nalbandian.. Silly to even consider..

Ancic, Coria, Davydenko.. :lol:

Gasquet.. No.. As long as he does not become an athlete..

· Banned
5,074 Posts
You mean in terms of his no 1 ranking, or in actual matches? I can't see Nadal threatening his ranking, but he gives him a hard time whenever they meet, whatever the surface. Add Kiefer and Nalbandian to that, and Henman was a thorn in his side until recently. And oh yeah, Hrbaty for his 2-0 head to head.

· Registered
2,235 Posts
Gasquet and Nadal...

...and I'd like to think Safin. But that might be an unrealistic thought.

· Registered
10,442 Posts
1sun said:
roddick on grass! :haha:
If, and only if, he hires adee-gee as his coach.

· Registered
10,442 Posts
I went with Nadal specifically because of "CLAY", the surface that troubles Rogi the most.

· Registered
1,741 Posts
Anyone who seriously thinks Nadal will only dominate on clay surfaces is ridiculously short-sighted. The kid is 19 and already #2 in the world! He's a prodigy of talent with time and attitude to burn. He'll be the next #1 for sure - its not just a fact, its a destiny.

· Registered
984 Posts
i think nadal and gasquet. I put down nadal, though. Both of these young players have most part of the game covered.

· Registered
2,650 Posts
Gasquet - has to work on his fitnes and some mental parts
Nadal - has to work on his fast court game (esp. playing closer to the basline)
the other youngsters have to work on consistency and mental aspects

Safin - impossible is nothing right ;)

@REx add Safin - the OAF of tennis. to your sig ;)

· Registered
5,958 Posts
Looking at the facts which are the ONLY things that matter: Nadal. He has a positive H2H with Roger 1 easy win on HC in a MS, one relatively easy win on clay in a GS semi and a very contested loss in a MS final on HC. He's got the mental, is young and will do everything that it takes to progress and be able to do it.
Second: Safin yet again the (recent) facts speak for themselves since he's been able to do it "recently" in a GS semi and it was close in Halle despite him "hating" grass...If he's on a good day...
Third: Gasquet H2H 1-1 (one very close win in a MS quarterfinal on clay, one striaght set loss in a MS final on clay...) I just hope that his first victory won't be his only one against him...
Fourth: Kiefer (not too bad H2H considering we're speaking of Fedex: 3-6 and he always is one of the very few able to take him a set...) if he learns from all his defeats against him...
Plus some other but there are no signs of it yet (against Roger...) to judge well like Djokovic, Berdych who beat him once, etc...Plus a talented player who we didn't expect who'll get to "own" him one day, who knows?

· Registered
260 Posts
Impossible to tell... Remember 2 years ago, everyone would have answered Roddick and look what he has done since, he is no threat to Federer...

· Registered
11,569 Posts
the correct answer is can federer still be a threat when nadal and gasquet both hit form! coz they're the 2 who are going to dominate

21 - 40 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.