Mens Tennis Forums banner

Faster Clay at RG'14 helps..

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All the chatter coming out of Paris is pointing that the new Clay covering (done in March according to RG official instagram) has the courts playing slightly faster at this year RG..

Granted, Isner and Raonic are top echelon servers, but notching 25 and 23 aces respectively in 3-set R1 matches on Clay is an eye opener..

Looking ahead :)unsure:) for the potential Nadal and Djokovic Final, who do think such conditions will help more?

Personally, I think this could help Nadal as he has been the one having trouble hitting through Djokovic lately, and needs extra aggressiveness with his play to have a chance in this match-up at this stage of his career..Nole is nudging or simply have become an overall better mover (maybe even on Clay)..Nadal will also have to risk more with the serve that's been getting laughably murdered by Djokovic superior returning(both speed and placement)...ie..: USO/Montreal game plan

Discuss...

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Djokovic hits more winners than Nadal when they match up
The answer is obviously Djokovic.
Remember that Nadal hit 0 winner in the first set against Mugray

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Not a factor. This matchup is not about court speed, even little about bouncing. If Djoker plays at his normal level and is able to control his errors, dull stands zero chance.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Eggovic 2.0 doesnt care since he beats Dull everywhere due to superior talent with the same stamina.

Other versions of Djokovic prefers faster court to be able to hit through Dull.

·
Registered
889 Posts
People blindly staring at winner counts always make me laugh
What would you rather they look at fastest serve speed? The colour of Nadal's head-band?

Winners and UE counts are not everything, but they are a damn good indication of how matches have and are likely to pan out.

The stats don't lie, in recent meetings if Novak keeps his UE count down, he wins, because his winner count is usually much higher than Nadals.

Now go look up the stats and not KingRafaFan's Nadal tribute video.

·
Registered
21,232 Posts
If they face each other, then I would say Djokovic, because hitting through peak Nadal on a slow clay court if it's sunny is almost impossible.
You're contradicting yourself. The heat makes the court faster.

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
What would you rather they look at fastest serve speed? The colour of Nadal's head-band?

Winners and UE counts are not everything, but they are a damn good indication of how matches have and are likely to pan out.

The stats don't lie, in recent meetings if Novak keeps his UE count down, he wins, because his winner count is usually much higher than Nadals.

Now go look up the stats and not KingRafaFan's Nadal tribute video.
You want stats?

Winners in their RG 2013 match:

Nadal 61
Djokovic 54

:shrug:

But it doesn't tell the whole story, forced errors are always overlooked, and one of the most telling stats I think

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Rafa ... maybe.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
You want stats?

Winners in their RG 2013 match:

Nadal 61
Djokovic 54

:shrug:

But it doesn't tell the whole story, forced errors are always overlooked, and one of the most telling stats I think
:superlol: you nadal fans always post that one match that nadal hit more winners that nole. I guess it's the only one you can find?

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Depends on how the court plays.

If it's faster because it's well-packed and harder, then it'll favour Nadal as topspin is more effective.

On the other hand, if it's like Madrid's blue clay, badly packed and more slippery, then if favours offensive game like faster surfaces, and Nole'll have the advantage.

I say, it comes a lot to bounce. It's clay so it's slow enough for Nadal anyway. But if the bounce is high, it's good for Nadal even if it were fast clay. And if the bounce is low, it's bad for Nadal, no matter how slow it is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts