Mens Tennis Forums banner

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forget the rankings, Federer is ahead a few points because of the grass season.

I want to know who is the better player right now, based purelly on technical aspects of the game.

I'd say Wawrinka. Serve is faster, backhand is a lot better. A argument can be made in Wawrinka's case even for the forehand, since his weight of shot is also much better these days. Obviously Federer will always be a better net player and have better touch, but I'm still going with Stan.

Also he indoctrinated Dull in the Aussie Open, while Fed lost the last 4 or 5.

Thoughts?

·
Administrator
6,072 Posts
Wawrinka has a higher level this year but is not as consistent - Federer has managed to get back to his old level of consistency and cut the losses to mugs.

Federer has only lost to (in order of mugginess) Djokovic (x2), Nadal, Wawrinka, Nishikori, Gulbis and Hewitt this year - all apart from Hewitt have been top 10 this year. Wawrinka however has lost to a whole range of players, from the youngest (Thiem) to the oldest (Haas), but has won a slam and a masters.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
federer by far

·
Banned
5,616 Posts
Federer easily. Much more consistent player. Well, he wasn't lucky to face injured opponent in final...
voted for wawrinka by mistake.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Forget the rankings, Federer is ahead a few points because of the grass season.

I want to know who is the better player right now, based purelly on technical aspects of the game.

I'd say Wawrinka. Serve is faster, backhand is a lot better. A argument can be made in Wawrinka's case even for the forehand, since his weight of shot is also much better these days. Obviously Federer will always be a better net player and have better touch, but I'm still going with Stan.

Also he indoctrinated Dull in the Aussie Open, while Fed lost the last 4 or 5.

Thoughts?
He did what now?

I'd say Wawrinka, for the same reason that you have. Federer a bit more consistent though.

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Federer easily. Much more consistent player. Well, he wasn't lucky to face injured opponent in final...
voted for wawrinka by mistake.
He was getting pummeled badly even before the "injury". That was just another one of those Dull's excuses. Like the *ile*t *an in 2012. :smoke:

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Wawrinka has a higher level this year but is not as consistent - Federer has managed to get back to his old level of consistency and cut the losses to mugs.

Federer has only lost to (in order of mugginess) Djokovic (x2), Nadal, Wawrinka, Nishikori, Gulbis and Hewitt this year - all apart from Hewitt have been top 10 this year. Wawrinka however has lost to a whole range of players, from the youngest (Thiem) to the oldest (Haas), but has won a slam and a masters.
He lost against Chardy in Rome.

Anyway, it's Federer. Stan only played 2 tournaments this year, the rest of the time he pretty much sucked.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Stan on clay & HC, Fed on grass & maybe indoors.

Overall Stan.

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He lost against Chardy in Rome.

Anyway, it's Federer. Stan only played 2 tournaments this year, the rest of the time he pretty much sucked.
Pretty much that, Peak Stan (Monte Carlo and Aussie) is probably the best player of the year.

Lol, Djokovic also won 1st set at FO this year.
But Stan was a break up in the 2nd too.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
I mean, Federer is better right now.

But Stan had a much more successful season so far.

·
23,063 Posts
Personally, I have been more impressed by Stan's peak than Fed's peak this year (I think Stan's peak this year was the match against Cilic on MC and maybe the 1st break of serve on the 2nd Set in the Nadal match, while I was most impressed by Fed at Dubai against Djokovic), that being said he is quite inconsistent this year and Federer has been quite even this year. In terms of accomplishments this year I have to give it to Stan (3 titles, 1 250-1 Masters-1 Slam compared to Fed's 2 titles 1 250-1 500 although have some finals).

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Pretty much that, Peak Stan (Monte Carlo and Aussie) is probably the best player of the year.

But Stan was a break up in the 2nd too.
Didn't Nole beat Rafa down a break in the 5th set at AO? Didn't Rafa beat Nole down a break in the 5th set at FO? Didn't Rafa beat John Isner down 2 sets in the FO?

Point being, a tennis match is never over till it's over.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Federer. He's been more consistent.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Didn't Nole beat Rafa down a break in the 5th set at AO? Didn't Rafa beat Nole down a break in the 5th set at FO? Didn't Rafa beat John Isner down 2 sets in the FO?

Point being, a tennis match is never over till it's over.
Yes. but nadal was just getting absolutely hammered, he had no answer for peak stan. Imo the result was NID even if dull didn't got injured midway throught the 2nd set

1 - 20 of 63 Posts