• Evans

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • Herbert

Votes: 5 29.4%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Evans based on groundies , movility. But Herbert based on serve & volley better. So more less equal with an edge for evans in the mentality department . Thats what I get , not from watching todays match

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Evans based on groundies , movility. But Herbert based on serve & volley better. So more less equal with an edge for evans in the mentality department . Thats what I get , not from watching todays match
mentality is not part of game. It's part of carriere...

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
mentality is not part of game. It's part of carriere...
What !? Ok I meant mental(ity) department if there is any difference (both apply here). Both talented in their own game. Evans is a fighter, a (hard) worker and Herbert well hes true french , no offence, in the sense of talently "arrogant" if I may which is great IMO when it doesnt crumble at crunch time.
Both present risky attacking games but Evans can step back and play to win. (Because he has the better groundies obv)

·
9,558 Posts
Worst q of all time.

Evans is a top 25 player
Herbert is a between 40-70

Not even close

Reactions: Rustie

·
justice for all
16,240 Posts
In general probably Evens is a tiny notch better.
But the difference is not really big as shown in their today's encounter.

·
Registered
11,813 Posts
Exactly this. Even when you compare their achievements, they are very similar.
Evans - Career High #31, 2 ATP finals, 0 titles, 3 wins over top 10 players.
Herbert - Career High #36, 3 ATP finals, 0 titles, 3 wins over top 10 players.
Not to mention that Herbert won every Grand Slam in doubles, WTF, 7 Masters titles and Davis Cup.

For me, Herbert has the potential to achieve more than Evans even as a singles player, has the more enjoyable game (for me at least) and can also be good on clay, where Evans sucks.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Exactly this. Even when you compare their achievements, they are very similar.
Evans - Career High #31, 2 ATP finals, 0 titles, 3 wins over top 10 players.
Herbert - Career High #36, 3 ATP finals, 0 titles, 3 wins over top 10 players.
Not to mention that Herbert won every Grand Slam in doubles, WTF, 7 Masters titles and Davis Cup.

For me, Herbert has the potential to achieve more than Evans even as a singles player, has the more enjoyable game (for me at least) and can also be good on clay, where Evans sucks.
May be... But Evans is more classic player. It's fact. I think Herbert is better like fighter. this MPs against players whose many better than he is say about it.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Pierre-Hugues Herbert seems to do well in doubles, but any time I've seen him play singles he looks totally lightweight and horrible to watch.

Daniel Evans is no world beater, but his technique is far more pleasing on the eye and his highest level looks as though it's well above somebody like Pierre-Hugues Herbert. In fact, I'm staggered that Pierre-Hugues Herbert is still well inside the world's top 100.

·
The special one
14,696 Posts
Definitely Evans, although I don't think he was better today, but if you saw his match with De Minaur in January his level is far better than what we saw here. I can easily see him crack the top 20 this year. I can't say the same thing about Herbert.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Whenever I have watched Herbert play singles he has been steamrolled. Both of them have idosyncratic games and perhaps a similar level of low top-20 "potential". But Evans has the x-factor of a fighter he is able to find his clutch shots when he needs them. Evans can access a level where it seems as if he plays outside his limits in a way I see few others. I am not being totally clear, do people understand what I refer to in Evans?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Whenever I have watched Herbert play singles he has been steamrolled. Both of them have idosyncratic games and perhaps a similar level of low top-20 "potential". But Evans has the x-factor of a fighter he is able to find his clutch shots when he needs them. Evans can access a level where it seems as if he plays outside his limits in a way I see few others. I am not being totally clear, do people understand what I refer to in Evans?
I get what you say , the man 's all talent in the rawest possible way, relying on no other than the accuracy of his wrist , his vision, all court skillset and of course his fighting spirit but like diego s*****man ( with their differences ) he will always have that physical limitation . His serve and His style will have particular limitations, vulnerable to TOP modern athletic game. It remind me of late (in his late twenties) Rios in this sense who couldn't find answers to his game vs any modern player. As talented and unique Rios was, his game was obsolete by modern standards (more if not in his prime physical shape.)

Allthings considered Dan's doing Pretty Good

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I get what you say , the man 's all talent in the rawest possible way, relying on no other than the accuracy of his wrist , his vision, all court skillset and of course his fighting spirit, but like diego s*****man ( with their differences ) he will always have physical limitations . His serve and His style will have particular limitations, vulnerable to top modern athleltic game. It remind me of late (in his late twenties) Rios in this sense who couldn't find answers to his game vs any modern player. Allthings considered he's doing Pretty Good
what must make Herbert to play on level Evans (at least)? He have very good sportish family but...

·
Registered
17,786 Posts
Evans.

Herbert attained his success in a far thinner tour.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
what must make Herbert to play on level Evans (at least)? He have very good sportish family but...
Well , he's not young , is all set for doubles tennis , so sort of set his ways tenistically. But as said above improving his mind in tight situations and perhaps his defensive tactics would get him to top 20 some day , however doubtful.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts