Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Thiem

Votes: 9 60.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to think Wawrinka is the undisputed king of a brutal backhand but I saw some court level practice sessions of Thiems and he really hits hard.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
But he is leaning back, his front goot off the ground as seen in the video picture. He also gets more spin which slows it down before the bounce. So i say Wawrinka

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Thiem, watch the first set of RG final last year at one point Thiem hit a cross court BH that was so hard that Nadal couldn't control the ball. I have never seen Wawrinka hit a backhand like that.

Wawrinka's is more about precision, finding short cross court angle or pintpoint accuracy down the line, ultimately proving a better shot.

·
Registered
937 Posts
A couple of years ago I would have said Wawrinka but nowadays probably Thiem - Dominic uses his power more willingly when he's confident, which he has been in recent months.

Interestingly, the ATP did an analysis article some weeks back that stated Nadal has a faster average backhand speed than both Wawrinka and Thiem, but that's probably because Stan and Thiem use a lot more sliced backhands than Rafa as they have one-handed backhands, which brings down their average speed. If we just compare topspin backhands and flat backhands, which are where the power shots usually come from, then I'm sure the results would reverse.

·
Registered
16,324 Posts
Depends on average or top speed.

Gasquet top speed can hit as hard as any single hander, but on average he hits s more spinny shot than Wawrinka.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Thiem hits his BH harder and with more spin than Wawrinka, that's what the numbers say.

However, there's no doubt Wawrinkas BH is a much stronger shot overall. Much more consistent, particularly his ability to contruct points off that shot is second to none.
FH is kind of the opposite. While Wawrinkas FH is by no means a bad shot, is still has nothing on Thiems which has become one of the most dominant strokes on tour, on every surface.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
I don't know, but Stanislas Wawrinka definitely has the easier power. He's not a typical "easy power" kind of player, but Dominic Thiem looks like he's killing himself on most shots he's playing.

·
Registered
27,241 Posts
Big Thiem looks like he's trying to hit every groundstroke out of the stadium so it's probably him mate.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I instinctively voted Wawrinka, but reading some comments maybe Thiem hits it harder. I watched Thiem vs Goffin in that quarters exhibition. Thiem's game looks so much scarier from that low angle

·
6,479 Posts
Practice sessions are not indicative.
Some players will hit and practice conservatively, others will hit harder and riskier than they would in real match conditions. (eg Nadal)
But it is pretty close, Stanimal seems to be able to unload with heavier shots more consistently.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Here's again another thread where we discuss who hits harder. Aren't you all aware that there's no clear answer and it's no use dwelling on who has the better whatever because it's only one dimensional. The best solution I can offer to you is to ask the ball hit by these gues how much damage their backhands do on the balls respectively. Ask them how much they hurt when they are hit by the two. They'd tell you more reliable information, though we'd still be unable to solve the problem completely. As far as I know, they both hit their backhands extremely hard with heavy top spin and they have similarities and they have some of the best and most beautiful backhands on the tour today. Of course they have diffeent motions which give them some advantages and disadvantages. There's no such thing as ideal backhand. As with anything, you'd likely to find both merits and demrits, so we can't say which is better or harder for that matter. We can analyze as much as we like and present about the advantages and disadvantages of their bakchands. I see nothing wrong with that, but please give me a break if you continue to discuss who hits harder. The balls would know better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts