Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who hit and who pushed their way into R4 [W+FE %]

2K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  blueclay 
#1 · (Edited)
I thought it might be a good idea to continue this stat. Here are the updated stats for after R3 matches have completely finished.

The DFs have not been substituted from the UE after all, because they are not even used when sorting the table. Only the Winner and Forced Errors, and you must agree, that although, it is not fair to count DF into UE, you cannot count DF as winner or FE either.

See less See more
#2 ·
Ugh, Granolllers. :eek: No offense to him, but Klizan or Dolgo should've finished him. Surprising that Raonic is more statistically more offensive than both Federer and Gulbis! That is without the Aces counted. :eek: Then again, Isner seems to hold the records in the columns, but his game seems to be one-two punch to be seen as that.

#4 ·
No surprise really that Ferrer Granollers and Nadal are bottom 3, quite interesting at the top though, especially with Raonic hitting lots of winners and playing well. (2nd behind Isner)

#7 ·
But...but.... ballbasher Gulbis and shotmaker Djokovic are lower on the list than "pusher" Nadal :confused:

Nadal's ace count obviously shows his back has been bothering his serve, this is way too low even for his standards. It also helps that he played guys where he could just roll the serve in.

#12 ·
But...but.... ballbasher Gulbis and shotmaker Djokovic are lower on the list than "pusher" Nadal :confused:

Nadal's ace count obviously shows his back has been bothering his serve, this is way too low even for his standards. It also helps that he played guys where he could just roll the serve in.
Interesting how R0B1S's observation seems to fix this problem.:eek:

#8 ·
If aces are not counted as winners, wouldn't it make more sense to not count them in "total points" when calculating "%W+FE-A" as well? Because otherwise it really kind of skews the results as the players who hit less aces have more opportunities to hit winners from the ground and vice versa. And really if we are talking about "pushing" here then this kind of inflation of "total points" with aces that are dismissed in calculation seems illogical because currently those aces skew the results torwards pushing when infact ace has nothing to do with it. I'm too lazy to write more detailed explanation, but I'm sure you get the point. Just seems kind of weird to me.

#15 ·
With those changes, it changed the standings dramatically now -- Isner was boosted to the top, and so is Raonic (which means they are not exactly servebots, although the big serve helps them finish up points, and I guess make unreturned serves).

With the table changed now (didn't change much for Nadal as he only had 1 Ace) the two are now higher than Nadal a little bit.

#14 ·
Wow granollers win the 57% of his points based on unforced errors of the oponent :devil:

#19 ·
Andy with the 5th highest amount of winners. Not bad for a so called pusher.

#20 ·
Interesting that the big 4 (Djoko,Rafa, Ferru and Muzza) are on the bottom of the list considering they are the ones that usually make it past the end line. That tells you a lot about how skewed statistics can be and it shows the importance of playing ''smart''.

Reactions: Jam
#28 ·
The absence of certain self proclaimed tennis experts who ''understand tennis'' in this thread speaks volumes.

Thank you very much for posting.

I presume service winners are included in winners category? That explains why Isner is at the top. Even of you exclude aces he still wins a shitload of free points with his serve. Nadal on the other hand, since he's under scrutiny of those who ''understand tennis'', hits very low percentage of service winners which would've put him higher on the list if those had been excluded. But despite that he's only 1% behind Djokovic.

Great effort. :yeah:

#33 ·
Can you do the same including QF and SF matches?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.