• All the same level

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So aside from Djokovic, Murray and Ferrer, the returns of the top 10 aren't strong. Roger's was a lot better when he was younger, but has deteriorated. Sadly I have to admit Jo hasn't got a great return but thankfully he is not eligible :D Nadal is basically standing in the stands to return etc. Who do you guys think has the worst return?

I think of Raonic takes the honour.

·
Registered
21,308 Posts
In the top 10? Raonic
It's still a travesty he's in the top 10 to begin with.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
roanic an isner returns are horrible. but its no surprise consider they only focus on there serve. tsonga return is pretty bad too.I also don't think wawrinka is a bad returner he bunts or block the ball back a lot with his bh. which is quite effective

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
if I had to rank their returns id go like this:

1. wawrinka
2. Federer
3. berdych
4. del potro
5. nadal
6. isner
7. raonic
just for a second i was like :eek: :eek:

...then i realized you meant from best to worst..uff

·
Banned
5,616 Posts
if I had to rank their returns id go like this:

1. wawrinka
2. Federer
3. berdych
4. del potro
5. nadal
6. isner
7. raonic

(from best to worst)
:superlol::superlol::superlol::superlol:
It has to be a joke :superlol: Berdych has 3x better return than Wawrinka...

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Raonic has an absymal return. Even when he gets second serve kickers that bounce right up into his strike zone, he rarely ever takes a whack at it. Instead, he steps back and hits a slow loopy shot to mid-court.

At least Isner can step in and blasts second serves from time to time, even if he's really inconsistent with it.

The others you mention all have quality return of serves. Sure, Djokovic/Murray/Ferrer are on a bit of a different level, but Wawrinka, Berdych, Del Potro, Nadal, and even Federer wouldn't be in the top 10 if they didn't have a solid return. None of them are like Isner/Raonic in that they can rely on aces to force tiebreaks, so they have to have at least a halfway decent return game

Berdych actually has a very solid return. He tends to play against big servers A LOT (He's faced Anderson and Wawrinka and absured # of times in the last 2 years) so his return looks worse sometimes than it actually is.

Wawrinka has the best return of any player with a OHBH. He can actually block first serves back really well and he can hit great topspin off his backhand return on second serves

Del Potro's return isn't great, but it's far from Raonic-level bad. It was really, really good back in 2009, and it has been at other times when his wrist isn't troubling him, but when it gets so bad that he needs to chip his BH 90% of the time, his return suffers a lot.

Nadal has one of the best returns in the game when he's at 100%. Even though he stands really far back, he gets great muscle on the ball and rarely ever leaves it short. However, when he's off his game, his return goes completely off the rails.

Federer has historically had one of the best block returns in history (just watch him against Roddick), but as he aged, his returns started to give him problems and he became rather easily aced. From 2003-2009, he was pretty solid, then in 2010 it got significantly worse. In 2011 it recovered somewhat, and it became really really good again in 2012. In 2013 it was absolutely terrible at times, and its recovered again to an extent this year.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For the record, I wasn't saying these guys all have bad returns. Not at all. But just not great. Roger used to be amazing at returning Roddick's serve in particular but his return has definitely gone downhill.

I think Raonic really needs to work on his serve big time. A lot of these guys have adequate returns, but his is often pretty bad.

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Dull is a terrible returner, that's why he opts to return 45 meters from the baseline.

But Raonic and Isner can't return at all. They're worst than bad.

And Berdych is a good returner actually!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts