Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Rafter

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • someone else?

Votes: 13 17.3%

who has the best serve?

2K views 44 replies 27 participants last post by  star 
#1 ·
not just speed, but also spins and placement?

#4 ·
Niminator said:
You forgot like a million people.
Richard Krajicek
Marat Safin
Tommy Haas
Ivan Ljubicic etc. etc. etc.

Anyways Goran does.
see....i use 3 elements to determine the serve
1st of all speed........well, Mark P is pretty much
the fastest server, followed by Greg and Any.....
the ones u mention dont hit as hard,

speaking of placment, the perfect placement server
is IMO Patrick.....and they dont match him for sure,

and last would be the spins........
and none others can do a better spin than
Arthur and Pete.....

but ya, Safin has an explosive serve,
but i dont think he serves as well

#5 ·
Safin, Krajicek, and Haas have better serves than dickhead. Not only can they add some mustard, but they have lots of variety. dickhead just booms it down.

#9 ·
Service Game Leaders

ACES
1 Arthurs, Wayne 802 47
2 Ljubicic, Ivan 695 52
3 Roddick, Andy 624 69
4 Sampras, Pete 607 42
5 Gambill, Jan-Michael 603 53
6 Rusedski, Greg 586 49
7 El Aynaoui, Younes 558 66
8 Safin, Marat 534 67
9 Haas, Tommy 525 63
10 Gonzalez, Fernando 503 60

1st Serve %
1 Robredo, Tommy 69 55
2 Schalken, Sjeng 67 61
3 Novak, Jiri 66 72
4 Pavel, Andrei 65 63
5 Costa, Albert 64 53
6 Youzhny, Mikhail 64 52
7 Mirnyi, Max 64 50
8 Coria, Guillermo 64 37
9 El Aynaoui, Younes 63 66
10 Henman, Tim 63 63

1st Serve Pts Won
1 Arthurs, Wayne 91 47
2 Rusedski, Greg 88 49
3 Roddick, Andy 87 69
4 Agassi, Andre 87 60
5 Sampras, Pete 87 42
6 Federer, Roger 85 69
7 Kuerten, Gustavo 85 37
8 Gonzalez, Fernando 84 60
9 Ljubicic, Ivan 84 52
10 Martin, Todd 84 40

2nd Serve Pts Won
1 Agassi, Andre 56 60
2 Rusedski, Greg 55 49
3T. Federer, Roger 54 69
3T. 3T. Roddick, Andy 54 69
5T. Canas, Guillermo 54 65
5T. Hewitt, Lleyton 54 65
7 Arthurs, Wayne 54 47
8 Mathieu, Paul-Henri 54 37
9 Novak, Jiri 53 72
10 Ferrero, Juan Carlos 53 65

Service Games Won
1 Arthurs, Wayne 91 47
2 Rusedski, Greg 88 49
3 Roddick, Andy 87 69
4 Agassi, Andre 87 60
5 Sampras, Pete 87 42
6 Federer, Roger 85 69
7 Kuerten, Gustavo 85 37
8 Gonzalez, Fernando 84 60
9 Ljubicic, Ivan 84 52
10 Martin, Todd 84 40

Break Pts Saved
1 Arthurs, Wayne 74 47
2 Sampras, Pete 70 42
3 Martin, Todd 68 40
4 Gonzalez, Fernando 67 60
5 Ljubicic, Ivan 67 52
6 Rusedski, Greg 67 49
7 Roddick, Andy 66 69
8 Rios, Marcelo 66 49
9 Federer, Roger 65 69
10 Safin, Marat 65 67

1st # = %
2nd # = Total Matches Played

#10 ·
THanks for the stats TBE :)

So if I was to select purely based on the statistics I would clearly go with Wayne Arthurs.

However there are other things to consider. For example - who's serve would you most want when you are serving to stay in a grand slam final? That is, who's holds up better under pressure?

Arthurs has a good serve, obviously. But he hasn't exactly had to test it in high pressure situations like that as often as say, Sampras.

#12 ·
Yay! Go Andy! ..dont pay attention to Bitch Pea and BallSniffer TBE.
But thanks for the stats TBE! its what your good for :p

i agree with AndySafinette. So I'll probably vote for someone else.. :D

#14 ·
Truth hurts.:eek:

#15 ·
In all due respect to Roddick, he serve doesn't hold up trying to serve to stay in the match of a grandslam quarterfinal.

I am not saying it won't get better, but untill he learns how to do something with it, he's just "booming" it, as already mentioned.

#16 ·
People out here do not watch tennis.
Roddick has the best serve?
Arthurs is just power?

WATCH.

I mean, Arthurs can place the serve everywhere & his serve is mostly spin, not power. Marat (when on) is 5 times the server Andy is.
Oh ya, Taylor Dent has an explosive serve as well (2nd fastest ever).
Also your categorize are wrong cuz Greg Rusedski has the fastest serve ever, not Mark, Mark is "just" 3rd.

#17 ·
why is it so hard for people to forget about their favs and objectively analyse a player's strengths and weaknesses? :rolleyes:

There are several great serves in the tour, and I doubt there will ever be a consensus on wich one is the best, but several critics and analysts agree that Pete Sampras has had the best second serve in the history of the game, one that has carried him to multiple titles...

#20 ·
LIke I said before... for me, what it comes down to is "who's serve would I want in the most high pressure situation possible?"

Because all is fine and dandy if you can serve like a master through the early round of a tournament, or early parts of a match.

True greatness shows up when it really matters....

#21 ·
Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that someone like Arthurs doesn't have a great serve because he hasn't been in slam finals or whatever.

I'm just saying that I guage a lot of my opinion on this on how well they serve when they are playing well vs how well they serve when they are playing like ass, and how well they serve under pressure vs not etc etc... because I think how you use the weapon you have is just as important.

Which is why, overall I still go with Pete. Yes the last couple years have sucked as a whole. But in general, he can play like total ass and stay in a match with his serve. He's won 7 wimbledons with that serve (yes he does other things, but his serve was the key). How many consecutive games at wimbledon did he holdserve again? 100 and something?

#22 ·
pete has made a career with his second serve

#23 ·
what did dickhead say when he got his BUTT kicked on CLAY by Arthurs this yr at Roland Garros

Arthurs has 72 diff serves, its hard to pick up but when he plays against a great returner or player, the rest of his game is found wanting.

Roddick's serve is pretty easy to read, you get used to it cos he can't do anything other than a flat one.

#24 ·
I remembered long time ago in a GS (either Wimby or USO) final between Courier and Sampras. After the match that Pete won, the on court commentator ask Jim how's Pete second serve that day and Jim's reply was he didn't see any second serve. Yep, Pete's serve is that good when he's on.

#25 ·
Rebecca said:
LIke I said before... for me, what it comes down to is "who's serve would I want in the most high pressure situation possible?"

Because all is fine and dandy if you can serve like a master through the early round of a tournament, or early parts of a match.

True greatness shows up when it really matters....
Yes i see.
Thats why is seems Mark is not even a contendor, though hes probably the best when on

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.