Votes: 10 13.3%
  • Mark P..

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Rafter

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • someone else?

Votes: 13 17.3%
21 - 40 of 45 Posts
Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that someone like Arthurs doesn't have a great serve because he hasn't been in slam finals or whatever.

I'm just saying that I guage a lot of my opinion on this on how well they serve when they are playing well vs how well they serve when they are playing like ass, and how well they serve under pressure vs not etc etc... because I think how you use the weapon you have is just as important.

Which is why, overall I still go with Pete. Yes the last couple years have sucked as a whole. But in general, he can play like total ass and stay in a match with his serve. He's won 7 wimbledons with that serve (yes he does other things, but his serve was the key). How many consecutive games at wimbledon did he holdserve again? 100 and something?

pete has made a career with his second serve

what did dickhead say when he got his BUTT kicked on CLAY by Arthurs this yr at Roland Garros

Arthurs has 72 diff serves, its hard to pick up but when he plays against a great returner or player, the rest of his game is found wanting.

Roddick's serve is pretty easy to read, you get used to it cos he can't do anything other than a flat one.

I remembered long time ago in a GS (either Wimby or USO) final between Courier and Sampras. After the match that Pete won, the on court commentator ask Jim how's Pete second serve that day and Jim's reply was he didn't see any second serve. Yep, Pete's serve is that good when he's on.

Rebecca said:
LIke I said before... for me, what it comes down to is "who's serve would I want in the most high pressure situation possible?"

Because all is fine and dandy if you can serve like a master through the early round of a tournament, or early parts of a match.

True greatness shows up when it really matters....
Yes i see.
Thats why is seems Mark is not even a contendor, though hes probably the best when on

I voted for Pete, well he won a record 14 GS because of it! :D :D :D

Pete has the best serve, so many times he has served aces on first and second serves to get himself out of trouble. His serve is not just power, it has a lot of placement and spin on it too.
I cant believe some people voted for Roddick. As some people have said, all he does it boom it down, he may improve in the future but hes not even in the top 5 best serves right now.
I would also rate Arthurs' serve very highly. His serve is very hard to pick and he puts all sorts of weird spins on it, like nothing i've seen before. When he is on he can serve ace after ace consistently.

Arthurs, by far... Just think about that, how good and effective his serve needs to be to carry him alone to RG Round of 16, given that his game has practically nothing else but serve..

Discussion starter · #34 ·
y_s said:
Arthurs, by far... Just think about that, how good and effective his serve needs to be to carry him alone to RG Round of 16, given that his game has practically nothing else but serve..
absolutely agree..........
Pete has a great serve, but his great achievement on grass
does not only rely on serve only........
though his serve does give him an advantage.....
hoever, speaking of spins,
Arthurs is pertty much the master of that,
even Kuerten before injury could not return his serve,
his serve is hardest to read of them all,
and he doesnt really have a 2nd serve,
coz every serve he has is pretty much 1st serve,
every time i see him playing, the thing i enjoy the most
is seeing his opponent trying everything to get to his serve,
and getting frustrated while he just bombs away.......
so speaking of purely serves, i have to go with Arthurs,
if Rafter has the serve of Arthurs, i believe he would
have been the 7 times Wimbledon champion

I love following Arthurs at Wimbledon.

It's always fun to see who's going to break his serve first, or manage to get a mini break and win a tie break.

I'm still astounded that David managed to do it :D

MARAT SAFIN of course!

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Rebecca said:
I love following Arthurs at Wimbledon.

It's always fun to see who's going to break his serve first, or manage to get a mini break and win a tie break.

I'm still astounded that David managed to do it :D
cant wait for his next Wimbledon....;)
maybe, and just maybe, he can win a Slam....:)

There is really no debate. Peety Sam. His first and second serves are the most consistent, when it counts, pressure proof, and GOOD.

Pete has the best serve. I always like to see the spread of his serve in the matchstats. You never know where it's going.
Give Marat a few years and he'll have the great serve too, if he didn't have it already. He has power and can place the ball well.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.