Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who has the best serve out of elite baseline hard hitters from last years ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
1. Wawrinka
2. Del Potro
3. Tsonga
4. Soderling
5. Safin
6. Berdych
Is this a joke? Safin is number 1 when you look at every facet of the serve. Tsonga is the only one who is comparable when his first serve is firing, but it's nowhere near as reliable.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Tsonga > Soderling > del Potro/Berdych/Wawrinka I'd say.
I haven't seen enough of Safin.

·
Registered
7,377 Posts
Is this a joke? Safin is number 1 when you look at every facet of the serve. Tsonga is the only one who is comparable when his first serve is firing, but it's nowhere near as reliable.
Stop it with Safin and his serve. Both Tsonga and Soderling had better serves. Safin 1st serve % was often very low and his 2nd serve was the most predictable shot ever.

I would say Tsonga edges it but Soderling was beastly indoor. Berdych serve at his best was better than people are giving him credit for. Del Potro doesn't belong in the discussion.

·
Registered
62,282 Posts
Big hitters with big serves: Gulbis>Tsonga>Safin>Wawrinka>del Potro>Söderling>Rosol>Janowicz>Becker>Berdych>Gonzalez>Istomin

More interesting to me is the category of big hitters with poor-mediocre serves- they are rare but they are out there. In this category I'd say Gabashvili>Kukushkin>Giraldo. The shotmaking of this group is all that keeps it alive, and to me they are very impressive for that reason. However, they are also predictably some of the most inconsistent players on tour.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'd say Tsonga > Safin/Soderling > Berdych > Del Potro > Wawrinka. While Wawrinka's peak FS in better than Delpo's, Delpo wins in the %FS department. Though if you factor on how tall they are, Wawrinka would edge them all with the possible exception of Tsonga.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Wawrinka gets the egde because he's significantly shorter than those dudes, but still able to produce nightmare serves.
He's shorter than Tsonga but not by much. Anyway, it shouldn't be an excuse. Tsonga has a better serve than del Potro or Berdych despite being 10 cm smaller.

·
Registered
8,287 Posts
I would say:

1. Tsonga
2. Soderling
3. Safin (don't know him that well)
4. Del Potro
5. Wawrinka (1. serve % can be very low at times)
6. Berdych (bad 2. serve)

·
29,664 Posts
Safin had the best serve here, just- Soderling 2nd and Tsonga 3rd. The others aren't really close to these three.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts