Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who has the best serve nowadays ? (outside big-three servers)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
No love for Chris Guccione? :D :D

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
That is statistically checkable I imagine. See the % of service holds and % of points won, can be last year.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
THis is pretty tough question. Top 3 are clearly better than rest and would say Ivo/John are also clearly above Milos - thanks to trajectory and FS%.

But to say who is currently 4th best server on the tour, if either talking about 2015 or last few years - hard to say 1 name.

Muller - is good candidate - as best lefty server right now.
Lopez - also good candidate for best lefty server, but slighly different to Muller -more SV style i think
Anderson - pretty consistent server
Querrey - great server, but can have bad games

Groth - most powerfull server, but not neccesary best one

i would choose right now Muller

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
If we're talking Wimbledon, then Nadal.
Agree but only if his serve is on. If it is, then he will do very well. Because it buys him time to set up a killer forehand or TIGHT NET PLAY (the most underrated part of his game) There'll be some worried top seeds when they see Nadal in the QTRS...

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I would say it's Groth but Muller gives him a good run for his money.
Groth´s serve is more erratic. I think he is more likely to have bad service game and ends up loosing his serve than Muller. Groth improoved dramatically over last 2 years, is now regular ATP tour player, but i would say if we look only on serve, than his serve is all about velocity, which is somehow predictable and blockable, while Muller can use angles and leftyness which is tougher to handle than pure velocity. But agree with you Groth-Muller are right now probably in top 5

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Groth´s serve is more erratic. I think he is more likely to have bad service game and ends up loosing his serve than Muller. Groth improoved dramatically over last 2 years, is now regular ATP tour player, but i would say if we look only on serve, than his serve is all about velocity, which is somehow predictable and blockable, while Muller can use angles and leftyness which is tougher to handle than pure velocity. But agree with you Groth-Muller are right now probably in top 5
I have seen Muller having very bad games too. Overall i would say his serve is great on grass and fast hard courts but overall i think Groth is better as he can hit through slow hard court and even clay. Also i think Groth 2nd serve is slightly better.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I have seen Muller having very bad games too. Overall i would say his serve is great on grass and fast hard courts but overall i think Groth is better as he can hit through slow hard court and even clay. Also i think Groth 2nd serve is slightly better.
i haven´t thought about slower surfaces. They suck on clay for example so i didn´t take it for relevant, but probably you are right on clay Groth can hit 230kph bomb and some unreturnables while Muller´s serve here is pretty useless.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I think Muller's serve is overrated in this poll. He has some very good serve days but also bad days. His serve is also the slowest of the list along with Federer's which becomes more relevant in slower courts. He mostly bases his serve success on other factors such as variety and placement and he does a really good job with that.

Imo:

Karlovic / Isner
Raonic
Groth
Anderson / Querrey
Lopez / Muller
Kyrgios / Tsonga / Federer / Gulbis

It's hard to tell accurately though. Just for example look at Gulbis, if we only looked at this year performances we'd have to put him at the bottom of the list by far, his second serve has been a huge problem so far this year.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
djokovic?

·
Registered
767 Posts
filippo volandri

1 - 20 of 40 Posts