Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who has the best serve in tennis history ?

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Re: Who has the best serve in tennis history ?

Rafael 2004-2008 period easily.

·
Delicious
3,558 Posts

Bernard Tomic and it's not even close.

·
Registered
474 Posts

Every tennis player should be included. John Isner is my pick.:worship:

·
Registered
4,670 Posts

Other = Isner

·
Registered
3,010 Posts

Pete Sampras clearly, it's not even open to debate. If you factor in effectiveness = success then he's streets ahead. It was never the fastest even back in his No. 1 heydays, but it had more spin/topspin specifically that made it harder to return with such high velocity kick. No player appeared to get himself out of trouble by utilizing the serve more than Sampras, first or second serve.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts

I don't count Isner and Karlovic who have 210 cm.
I choose Raonic. He has just a unique incredible serve for his height
You should not count Roddick too.

This all being said the answer is Roscoe Tanner the servebot of the 70s.

·
Banned
1,221 Posts

FS alone Albano Olivetti

·
Your visions will happen
51,343 Posts

Sampras and its not close

Maybe Gonzales 2nd place

·
Registered
75 Posts

Service games won:

Sampras: 89%
Roddick: 90%

So Roddick is ahead in a slower era and with a weaker baseline game. Therefore, it's tough to believe that Sampras's serve was "easily" better...

·
Your visions will happen
51,343 Posts

Service games won is not indicative of the strength of the serve. An entire service game consists of groundstrokes, many points involving net play as well.

1st serve points won: Sampras 81% vs. Roddick 79%

This is more indicative of truly what is the strength of the serve but even so does not take into account the ball, the surface, the tournament, the opponent's strength of return, the point in the match, and so on.

When you think of dominance on serve and the ability to be clutch, so clutch all the time and basically make a career on it, that's Pete. Though Roddick is also there and arguably Federer even though his is more on location and spin than raw power like the Americans

·
Registered
1,835 Posts

1st Serve only : Karlovic.
2nd Serve : Isner
1st&2nd Serve overall : Isner

·
Registered
75 Posts

So you try to convince me that a player with a weaker forehand, a weaker backhand, a weaker net play, a weaker movement AND a weaker serve could win more service games than Sampras? Don't make me laught.

Roddick played against peak Federer, Djokovic, Murray, all are much better returners than all Sampras rivals except Agassi. In a very slow era. Still better than Sampras.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts

Sampras.

Easy. Simple. Smooth. Effortless. Effective. Aggressive.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,921 Posts

Just below Karlovic/Isner, Raonic just knows how to hit the lines and corners with ease and still with high speeds. He was very scary at Wimbledon and USO, though Federer knew how to neutralise some of those serves. Tricky part for him is to keep the 1st serve percentage respectable. Roddick close, just behind him I feel.

Sampras was good for his time in combination with his volley but without the volley it won't be as good. Very efficient yes, but winning pts outright? Not so much. For Hewitt to dismantle him so often on hard and grass is something. I can't see Hewitt doing the same to break Raonic consistently.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts