Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 383 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMO, it's Gonzalez.

I am a bit biased, i admit it. But his forehand attracted me to him in the first place, so it's something.

Juan Carlos will surely admit that Fernando's forehand is huge :)

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
I think González, I know it's doesn't have too much tecnique as the forehands of other players, but I think that Gonzalez's one is one of the most effective, because as every shot of him, it's pretty powerful.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What about Rosset? Has anyone ever had such a differential between the quality of their forehand and backhand? Rosset's forehand is/was exceptional although the huge backswing makes it somewhat ineffective when rushed. Generally, I'd probably have to settle for Sampras - much more consistent.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ferrero :)

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Well, it all depends on what you mean exactly - the thread says "greatest forehand", the poll says "biggest forehand", they're not necessarily the same. In this second category, Gonzalez undoubtedly wins for sheer power, but it's no use if you can't get it in the court consistently.

I'd actually go for the Vowel Man himself, El Aynaoui; especially after watching him eliminate Hewitt at the AO, you've got to be impressed by how easy and natural a shot it is. He doesn't have a huge takeback like Ferrero and Fernando, he takes a compact swing at the ball, unleashes a low and menacing growl of exertion and pounds that forehand all over the court.

Notice also that all those players with really big, notable forehands rarely have a decent backhand; only Agassi and Safin are evenly balanced on both sides in terms of power, not really having a single big shot off the ground, although I think they are both more comfortable on the backhand side.

I'd say Ferrero probably has the best backhand in conjunction with a really big forehand, and I say this only after seeing how well it held up in those punishing rallies with Agassi at the Masters Cup. Of the others, the most effective is again El Aynaoui's, particularly when he plays the one-handed slice, but even then all his winning backhands are more a matter of luck than design.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Moya.
He can play his forehand from everywhere and he can hit the ball to everywhere by his forehand :)
--I'd call him an "omnipresent forehand striker" :)
I also think that Carlos Moya's major weapon is his forehand. That's why I vote for him.
Juan Carlos's forehand is also very good and I love to see him play forehand strike to attack Carlos's backhand :D

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Juan Carlos all the way!!!

No point in even arguing! :p :)

1 - 20 of 383 Posts