Mens Tennis Forums banner

how many m1000 left ?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who do you think will win more m1000 from now until his career fades ?

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
I guess you'd have to say the one that has reached 2 finals this year. Murray has sucked in m1000s for a couple of years now.

·
Registered
26,785 Posts
I guess you'd have to say the one that has reached 2 finals this year. Murray has sucked in m1000s for a couple of years now.
Funny argument for a life-long prediction :lol:

Of course Murray. He is young, most of the Masters are played on his favorite surface. He will be back.

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
Nah, Federer making 2 MS this year is irrelevant to this question. Murray is very likely play much longer than Fed, so its very likely that Murray has more left in him.

·
Registered
21,308 Posts
You can't heal old age.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Funny argument for a life-long prediction :lol:

Of course Murray. He is young, most of the Masters are played on his favorite surface. He will be back.
Nah, Federer making 2 MS this year is irrelevant to this question. Murray is very likely play much longer than Fed, so its very likely that Murray has more left in him.
Since winning Miami (where he had to come from a set down against Gasquet and Ferrer to secure the title), Murray hasn't advanced past the QF in any m1000. He has been turning in very unconvincing performances in these tournamets for a significant period of time now, where as Federer was 1 TB away from winning one a few months ago. When the Wimbledon points come off Murray will also start to get much tougher draws.

I guess it's a case of short term decent chance vs long term small chance.

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
Since winning Miami (where he had to come from a set down against Gasquet and Ferrer to secure the title), Murray hasn't advanced past the QF in any m1000. He has been turning in very unconvincing performances in these tournamets for a significant period of time now, where as Federer was 1 TB away from winning one a few months ago. When the Wimbledon points come off Murray will also start to get much tougher draws.

I guess it's a case of short term decent chance vs long term small chance.
True but well last year, he is average on clay so having poor results on MC, Madrid, and Rome were expected. Cincy and Toronto were quite poor but this year he came back from a surgery, so once he gets back into form which should be during grass season or afterwards, it will likely that he will consistely make it deep in the MS and win some of them.

·
Registered
18,092 Posts
I'm going to bold(ish)ly say Federer and that it will only take one Masters title to win this particular duel.

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He will play untill 2016, no? he can win 1 m1000 this year and 2 in every year (2015 and 2016) that accounts for 5 m1000 more. Murray should have a few more years than Fed, but he never has been consistent winning m1000. Heck he even has problems passing QF nowadays. And you have to think his strongest surface by far doesnt even have an m1000 in atp calendar. Murray on clay cant be beat by anyone, and in HC there are like 5 guys who are stronger than him... even when he play on his top level.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
You are counting the period up to him needing surgery and the period after surgery as your guide? It's possible Murray won't regain his previous form, but it's likely he will, even if it takes time.

Federer's had better form this year, and making one final is great, but he's not going to get any younger. He's not going to face an injured Djokovic at every semi-final, and he'd still need to win the actual final. How many more times will that happen?

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
As it looks now, Mr. Murray, OBE, might be closer to retirement than the elder Federer.

Murray's best chance for a masters win probably comes in the fall in Shanghai, or perhaps Toronto. But the way he is playing right now, he would have a difficult time winning a 250/500, much less a masters, or a slam. I said before the year started that due to his recovery from surgery it was unlikely that he would find his best form before the grass season or summer hard courts. But I did think he would make better progress than he has so far. As of now, I don't have the confidence to say that he'll be near his best at that time, because of his standard of play and mentality.

He is playing like he doesn't give a f**k for some reason anymore. Smiling and chuckling to himself as he makes errors left and right is more the act of someone who has given up mentally, than the Murray who cursed and yelled at his box to raise his game.

Is it the Lendl departure? Is it that his back/hip problems were not solved by the surgery? Is it that he is simply not as motivated anymore since winning Wimbledon? Maybe a combination of all of the above? Only he knows.

So right now, it's difficult to predict that Murray will win anything, much less a masters.

He needs a step by step recipe for continued success. He seems to think he needs a coach. I don't think that is the only answer, but it might help him to stabilize.

In my opinion, aside from a coach, here are the two top items of what he needs to continue at this level:

1. A healthy fit body - without this, he will not have confidence that he can do what is necessary on the court.

2. Some clear goals, short term, long term, i.e. motivation for continued success. Win matches, win minor tournaments, win more masters, win more majors, win a clay court tournament anywhere, get to #1 in the world, etc.​
Without these things, he is like a ship at sea without a rudder, wandering without purpose or destination, eventually floundering in the storm of competition. This situation cannot go on long. He'll either find a solution or he might decide he's done enough in tennis, retire, get married, and live a different life without pain, or being under a microscope, enjoying the relative privacy of a retired athlete.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As it looks now, Mr. Murray, OBE, might be closer to retirement than the elder Federer.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Finally some wise words after so many useless comments. sorry but true.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
murray, once he recovers

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Of course, IF Murray can find the solutions and get back to his best level, he obviously has the better chance to win more masters simply due to the age difference. But that is the big question. We don't know at the moment when or if that will happen.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I will pick probably the more controversial option: Roger

He definitely has a chance to win some M1000 this season.

While Andy is still only a shade of his previous form and who knows if he will play again in full strenght.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I say federer. It's not like murray normally wins a lot of masters, he only has 9 in his career an in his 2 best season 2012/2013 he won a combine 1 masters event :eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts