Mens Tennis Forums banner

???????

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Waw.

He plays way behind the baseline. He doesn't re-uses the power of his opponent as well as Safin and others do. He mostly adds his own power on a ball that already lost most of its' pace.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Safin...no doubt about it...He dismantled Pete Sampras in the US Open Final

·
Registered
13,564 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts

·
Banned
2,160 Posts
Are you for real? :lol:
Wawrinka would have already had 3 AO if he wasn't playing in Djokovic's(AO GOAT) era.

Since 2013 when Wawrinka peaked he has been losing only to high quality players in Slams(except GGL at RG-14), while prime Safin could have lost to any bum on any day.

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Wawrinka for me. It becomes most noticeable when they play on clay (slowest surface). Surely Safin can't match what Wawrinka did to Simon and Federer in the last 2 matches.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Wawrinka would have already had 3 AO if he wasn't playing in Djokovic's(AO GOAT) era.

Since 2013 when Wawrinka peaked he has been losing only to high quality players in Slams(except GGL at RG-14), while prime Safin could have lost to any bum on any day.
Their 2013 match was Last 16 and their match this year was played in the semi finals. And Wawrinka did lose those matches, although granted in 2013 he was unlucky. Also, he lost to Hewitt in Wimbledon 2013, who isn't a great player anymore.

Safin beat the two of the very greatest players of all time in his slam winning runs. He may not have been the most consistent player and he had severe injury problems, but I regard Safin as having perhaps the greatest peak play of the 21st century.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Pancho Gonzalez.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
probably Safin

I think that Wawrinka is getting a lot of votes because arguably his game is more aesthetically pleasing, but the reality is that sometimes when Marat was ballbashing (which was a lot of the time) he would hit with insane power

Safin in my eyes hit the ball harder, however you could probably prove this one way or another as there have been speed guns around for quite a while. in my eyes Safin was a pure power ballstriker and Wawrinka is more of all around hitter

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,452 Posts
Tough question really. Safin is easily the better player, but I think Wawrinka can get more venom on the ball at times.
Are you talking about USO-2000 final or AO-05 semi-final?
AO 05 surely? He managed to defeat Peak Roger of all people.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Wawrinka for me. It becomes most noticeable when they play on clay (slowest surface). Surely Safin can't match what Wawrinka did to Simon and Federer in the last 2 matches.
but surely you must recognize that part of that would because Safin was much larger and a worse mover on clay? and tactically he wasn't a huge fan of using lots of variety, not to say Wawrinka uses THAT much, but he is more likely to hit a drop shot or whatevs than Marat would have been

if anything when you compare a Safin to Wawrinka on faster surfaces that's when it becomes especially clear to me why Marat was the much bigger power player. that WAS his game, outpowering opponents. very often you will see Wawrinka win matches by outmanuevering, his game is less dependent on power and I would argue that other current players like a Gulbis or Del Potro have considerable more power (when considering ALL shots averaged) than Stan does

·
Registered
645 Posts
Probably Safin because he's the bigger man, but Wawrinka is the better player.
urgh... no.
they both are wildly inconsistent, but when Safin starts firing up, there was no force in universe that would stop him.

as for average power, Safin, easily. he was actually struggle to maintain his power as those shots were uncontrollable. also, he had ability to take any shots Wawrinka is firing, and get it bat with interest.

·
Banned
858 Posts
Peak safin of course. Peak safin is also better mover than fed, better defender than djoker and better server than Isner. Too bad he had a peak for like 1,5 hours in his career :aww:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts