Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
23,624 Posts
Nole and it's not even close.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Murray is better at returning big ones, Novak is better at punishing weaker ones. This has been the case for their whole careers mostly, regardless of the surface.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Main difference
Murray on the first serve tends to return in quantity. He gets a lot of balls back. Especially against guys who are reluctant to serve and volley. The sheer bulk of returns coming back can overwhelm players especially serve bots who arent used to so many serves coming back and guys with weak inconsistent or serves who get no free points. On second serve contrary to what people on here believe Murray is more aggressive on second he takes the ball early and hits a lot more return winners than Novak however at the same time taking the ball so deep in the court sometimes lead to a lot of ball in the net and short returns against decent second serves.

With Novak the quality of his returns when they go in are much better on average although he probably gets less back. He gets them very deep often at the feet of his opponents. However he has this insane ability in the closing stages of sets where he zones in and suddenly gets almost everything back putting immense pressure on his opponents, He also smothers his opponents on second serves usually giving them very few let offs. Unlike Murray he doesn't come in as much to return and has more time to react allowing him to force his opponents into a defensive position from the onset, while then open him to dictate with his incredible ground game.

Both guys are great returners which ever u choose really depends of the type of player hey are facing. The both Djokovic can sometimes struggle return balls with high trajectory, while Murrays returns especially on the backhand have a tendency to float which can be exploited by volleying, taking the ball out of air.

i think in general id take Murrays return for servebots(eg karlovc, anderson etc and weak or inconsistent servers like nishikori, goffin, dolgopolov and novaks for slightly below servebot and lower guy can rally like querrey, cilic, soderling, dimitrov. Its really a tossup though

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Djokovic better returner at 2nd serve. Overrated as GOAT of return. Big servers regularly piss him off.

Murray better at 1st serve.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,560 Posts
Andy thrashed Anderson in straights last year and here Novak is taking 5 sets to do it?
Both have merits in this department but I think Murray wins this on grass - and Karlovic performance was quite good considering Karlovic >> Anderson in serving department.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Andy thrashed Anderson in straights last year and here Novak is taking 5 sets to do it?
Both have merits in this department but I think Murray wins this on grass - and Karlovic performance was quite good considering Karlovic >> Anderson in serving department.
Well it's just one match-up and Anderson also plays well from the baseline, he isn't as reliant on his serve or volleys (so an overall different player to Ivo). Regardless, even on grass I'd take Novak's 2nd serve return over anyone, he's the best aggressive returner since Agassi.

·
Registered
17,629 Posts
Head to head

Andy Murray - Karlovic 6-0
Djokovic - Karlovic 1-3

See I can also play this game. So don't try it mate.
Isner - Karlovic 2-3
Cilic - Karlovic 2-1
Anderson - Karlovic 3-1
Gasquet - Karlovic 4-1
Baghdatis - Karlovic 3-1

Isner, Cilic, Anderson, Gasquet, and Baghdatis are better returners than Djokovic :rocker2: The almighty return kings Kevin Anderson and John Isner :yeah:

:spit: :haha: :haha:

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Isner - Karlovic 2-3
Cilic - Karlovic 2-1
Anderson - Karlovic 3-1
Gasquet - Karlovic 4-1
Baghdatis - Karlovic 3-1

Isner, Cilic, Anderson, Gasquet, and Baghdatis are better returners than Djokovic :rocker2: The almighty return kings Kevin Anderson and John Isner :yeah:

:spit: :haha: :haha:
So basically what you are saying is H2H can't be used to judge return. Yet you're citing Murray's H2H vs Botnic as a factor in the returning debate?

Kind of owned yourself mate.

·
Registered
17,629 Posts
So basically what you are saying is H2H can't be used to judge return. Yet you're citing Murray's H2H vs Botnic as a factor in the returning debate?

Kind of owned yourself mate.
No I wasn't :facepalm:

But stay a while, and you might see what point I was trying to prove.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts