Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who is better positioned to stop Federer from winning #18 at USO?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A year ago, this would be sophomore-level trolling worth the "Lock thread, Ban OP" reply..But Roger is the only "inform" player in the tour now :lol:...

With Nadal nursing a wrist injury and could be out; with Djokovic vicariouly nursing the birth pangs of his child, with Botnic and co. showing the younger generation eternal arrested-development; with Berdych in shit form,with Murray declining in a heap,with Robredo lightning-never-strikes-twice factor,with Asterikwinka proving to be the tennis footnote he's always been, who is going to stop Federer from logically crowning his summer performance with a Major title in USO? :shrug:

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Re: Who has a better chance of denying Federer a USO title?

Yeah, Fed have a decent chance to win a Slam here.

If he plays well and avoids some bad office days..he can definitely do some damage.
But still, it all comes down to his 2 younger rivals.. so yeah, Djoker and Rafa.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
and people still think Fed is capable of winning slams :lol:
It is clear that i stressed that it is relative to the utter shittiness of the current tour, that is pretty plausible..I would f course say Rafa, but i'm would rather wait for him to confirm he 'll be there..

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Well shockingly, it looks like right now in 5 sets the only thing that could stop and is Novak getting whatever he is doing sorted out. Other than that, maybe #18.

·
Registered
36,855 Posts
tsonga and nole

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Both Nadal and Djokovic could beat him in a best of five on slow clay.

Djokovic could beat him on fast clay too.

Murray could upset him.

Umm... and he could lose to any top player who's on a hot streak (Wawrinka, Tsonga, Berdych, Cilic etc.)

·
Registered
28,789 Posts
Can't really see him beating Djokovic, Nadal, Berdych or Verdasco.
Hahaha what the hell.

Anyway, Djokovic is still favorite for the USO. Nadal would be a tough task as well (but with him not playing lately, not as impossible as some pretend).

But other than that, I would actually give Federer the edge whoever else he plays against. Including Murray.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Rafa of course, if he meets Fed, always the huge mental edge....

Nole also is still the favorite for the whole shebang...

Other than that, I think Berdych/Tsonga/Wawrinka/ don't fear him in a slam as it gives them more time....

Amd why is Ferrer not on the poll :)

I'm only half-kidding....

I think the guy played well today and it's AMAZING that Ferrer & Federer have never met in a slam, it's overdue....

If Ferrer gets Fed on a hot day session match or a humid night session match, he could make it into a grind....

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I think Fed can win if he keeps building as he has been,and maintains that joy of winning.

At Wimbledon he intellectually wanted to win, but there didn't seem to be any fun in it. In fact although he fought and wanted to win, more head than heart in my view. And seemed at times to be thinking of impact on others of losing - gifting Wawa that set for example. I'm not sure it wasn't the same with Djokovic notwithstanding the five sets. And along the way did just enough to win, no more. Conserving energy no doubt, but wrong way of building the right attitude.

This week he seems to have regained that inner joy at playing and winning.

If Rafa plays he is always an obstacle to Fed, but odds are that even if he plays he will be knocked out earlier - injury, lack of matches and going on form for everything but RG. Djokovic may regain form, but pretty unpredictable. The other ageerers? - maybe but I doubt it.

And Raonic, Dimitrov et al really don't seem to be able to withstand the top players yet.

I actually do think we'll see another run or two from (genuinely) young guns, viz Kyrgios and friends (Thiem, Sock, Veseley). Not necessarily to the final, but maybe knocking off Big 4 players again.

Kyrgios went down badly to Murray but I'm sure he will have gone away and learnt from that as he's shown in the past he can do (Gasquet Davis Cup beginning of the year loss; Gasquet at W, win for example). Main issue for him though will be lack of match practice both in terms of warm up and in total experience. He has a much greater chance of making a run right to the top at the AO in my view, assuming he can gain enough points over the next few months to get seeded. But if he gets a good draw this time, the surface suits him (rather more than grass on past form).

I really think there is a lot of talent coming through in the teenage group (Kyrgios +Kokkinakis, Coric, Zverev etc). They aren't quite there yet, but enough there to win a few matches at USO, and then to to overtake the current 'young' guns over the next year or so without the latter ever winning anything...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts