Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see in the modern game some influences of certain players, that have changed the game, together with racquet technologies and surface changes.
Who do you think had the biggest impact today's game, not in terms of achievement, but of influence ?
For example, Borg had an influence I think on fitness level and topspin use.
Lendl bought the physical preparation and stamina to another level, plus he made fashinable the big baseline forehand to dictate the point.
Agassi had a great impact in taking the ball earlier than usual (a bit Connors earlier as well).
Becker brought the big serve and pert of the power tennis.
Your thoughts ?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I think Laver had an impact with topspin on those following him in the 70s. He was able to generate topspin off both the forehand and backhand.

I think Connors was the forerunner of the modern day powerbaseliner although his shots were relatively flat, and of course he had a huge impact with his double handed backhand (although there have been others in the past to use this shot, tennis didn't have as much exposure for it to take off with the masses).

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Federer_Express said:
Thanks for your contribution to the debate :yeah:

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tennisvideos said:
I think Laver had an impact with topspin on those following him in the 70s. He was able to generate topspin off both the forehand and backhand.

I think Connors was the forerunner of the modern day powerbaseliner although his shots were relatively flat, and of course he had a huge impact with his double handed backhand (although there have been others in the past to use this shot, tennis didn't have as much exposure for it to take off with the masses).
And he had maybe even more impact on women's game than female champs... strangely enough, Graff or Navratilova didn't have a huge impact on women's game if we consider the use of respectively S&V and sliced backhand today...

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
I don't think any one particular player had a bigger impact than others on the game because different players had impact on different facets of the game as we know it today.

IMO the three players who could most be credited with the game as we see it today are:

1.) Ivan Lendl

2.) Boris Becker

3.) Andre Agassi

Let's begin with Lendl- he was the pioneer of work ethics and training- eat right, work out right. Before him there wasn't anyone who really abided by a controlled and calculated fitness regiment. He introduced it and now basically every player has to adhere to those fundamental procedures just to keep up physically. This in turn has contributed to the game being a lot more physical today than it ever was before.

We then have Becker- he was the first one to introduce the real power game. The mid 80's were also a time when new racquet technology was being introduced with the graphite replacing the wood and aluminium. Nothing like Becker had been seen in the game prior. His ferocious power off the serve and the ground really made an impact and so younger players started to beef up their strokes and hit with more pace.

Finally we have Andre Agassi- Agassi basically defied the accepted paradigm of ball striking by taking the return early standing inside the baseline and often times half volleying his groundstrokes with a lot of force. While very few players have his timing, there has been a noticeable trend in the last 10 years of new players adhering to that school of thought- take the ball early and stand inside the baseline.

So to conclude- Lendl, Becker and Agassi each influencing a certain characteristic and redifining it, together basically shaped the game as we see it today.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RonE said:
I don't think any one particular player had a bigger impact than others on the game because different players had impact on different facets of the game as we know it today.

IMO the three players who could most be credited with the game as we see it today are:

1.) Ivan Lendl

2.) Boris Becker

3.) Andre Agassi

Let's begin with Lendl- he was the pioneer of work ethics and training- eat right, work out right. Before him there wasn't anyone who really abided by a controlled and calculated fitness regiment. He introduced it and now basically every player has to adhere to those fundamental procedures just to keep up physically. This in turn has contributed to the game being a lot more physical today than it ever was before.

We then have Becker- he was the first one to introduce the real power game. The mid 80's were also a time when new racquet technology was being introduced with the graphite replacing the wood and aluminium. Nothing like Becker had been seen in the game prior. His ferocious power off the serve and the ground really made an impact and so younger players started to beef up their strokes and hit with more pace.

Finally we have Andre Agassi- Agassi basically defied the accepted paradigm of ball striking by taking the return early standing inside the baseline and often times half volleying his groundstrokes with a lot of force. While very few players have his timing, there has been a noticeable trend in the last 10 years of new players adhering to that school of thought- take the ball early and stand inside the baseline.

So to conclude- Lendl, Becker and Agassi each influencing a certain characteristic and redifining it, together basically shaped the game as we see it today.
Agree... Becker and Agassi and impact is even more impressive as they were 17 and 18 when it happened...

·
Registered
17,115 Posts
RonE said:

1.) Ivan Lendl

2.) Boris Becker

3.) Andre Agassi

Great post :worship: I agree with those three names.

·
_._._._._._
72,524 Posts
Agassi by a country mile in terms of how much he changed the game of tennis, and how much impact he had on the next generation.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
R.Federer said:
Lendl - definitely the pioneer in the physical conditioning, forces everyone else to rise their physical condition
Yes Lendl was decisive, and I find that Fed has something of Lendl in his approach besides the all-round talent Lendl didn't have...

·
Fed Fo Mod
11,233 Posts
Originally Posted by RonE

1.) Ivan Lendl

2.) Boris Becker

3.) Andre Agassi

Completely agree.

·
F***ing have it
17,843 Posts
RonE said:

1.) Ivan Lendl

2.) Boris Becker

3.) Andre Agassi

:bowdown:

·
Registered
17,533 Posts
Lendl.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
I actually tried to get a discussion like this going when I posted my "Borg on tennis myths" article, but hey-ho. I'll bump it up again...

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
RonE said:

1.) Ivan Lendl

2.) Boris Becker

3.) Andre Agassi

Nice post. :bigclap: I suppose some might suggest Borg as well on that list - and possibly Connors and/or Laver might be in the top 5/6ish area.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I'd say Lendl regarding the technical and physical parts, and McEnroe behaviour-wise.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Lendl and Agassi for the aforementioned reasons. In addition, Andre is the one who I associate with the use of swing volleys, which are commonplace nowadays.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts